• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Academic transcript - transferring from UWS (1 Viewer)

scarf

HSC
Hey,

Just wanted to get some help from those that have transferred to MQ from UWS re credit for previous studies.

I started UWS 2nd half of last yr, and decided to accept my UAC offer to attend MQ, so I've got a few subjects I'm hoping to transfer across. I notice tutorial enrollments have started already, so I can't wait to get a really terrible timetable considering i have to wait for my academic advisement day on the 12th :(

1. I was wondering if anyone has done the following units at UWS, and what the likelihood is of getting the unit exempted:

Introduction to Law
Criminal Law
Law Foundation
Property Law

2. Unfortunately, I have discarded my units outlines from last semester, and the unit outlines on the UWS library site don't seem as detailed as the ones given out during class at the beginning of the semester. Do you think it will be fine to just use the seemingly shortened library ones, considering there probably will be a fair amount of students in the same boat transferring from UWS?

3. Also, if I get the units successfully transferred, will my transcript only list the subjects credited/exempted and not the marks? (my marks weren't the best last semester)

4. And a side question for those graduated, would employers requesting academic transcripts generally "let you off if" in terms of asking for marks for your exempted units? (for the same reason above, marks weren't great)

Thanks in advance!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Hey,

Just wanted to get some help from those that have transferred to MQ from UWS re credit for previous studies.

I started UWS 2nd half of last yr, and decided to accept my UAC offer to attend MQ, so I've got a few subjects I'm hoping to transfer across. I notice tutorial enrollments have started already, so I can't wait to get a really terrible timetable considering i have to wait for my academic advisement day on the 12th :(

1. I was wondering if anyone has done the following units at UWS, and what the likelihood is of getting the unit exempted:

Introduction to Law
Criminal Law
Law Foundation
Property Law

2. Unfortunately, I have discarded my units outlines from last semester, and the unit outlines on the UWS library site don't seem as detailed as the ones given out during class at the beginning of the semester. Do you think it will be fine to just use the seemingly shortened library ones, considering there probably will be a fair amount of students in the same boat transferring from UWS?

3. Also, if I get the units successfully transferred, will my transcript only list the subjects credited/exempted and not the marks? (my marks weren't the best last semester)

4. And a side question for those graduated, would employers requesting academic transcripts generally "let you off if" in terms of asking for marks for your exempted units? (for the same reason above, marks weren't great)

Thanks in advance!
I am unsure about criminal law as they have changed it, probably yes but you haven't done crim procedure so I dont know
Intro to law should be credited
Law foundation should be credited to jurisprudence
Property law will exempt you from property law 1

2. They exempted me and didn't need outlines, they usually know what they will exempt but anything you can bring will be fine.

3. My transcript only lists the exemptions not the marks

4. I usually show my UWS transcript as well but I suppose it depends if they ask.

You will probably get the crap classes, waiting for academic advising is advisable as it is very hard to sort all this out. Don't worry people change classes all the time, if you keep checking you can get most of the classes you want :)

scarf

HSC
thanks for the advice.

im looking at prolly getting some night PT work around uni 5 days a week to make my soon-to-be terrible timetable bearable.. hehe.

manavji

HSC
N/A
Dont worry im on the same boat as you... im going on the 12th as well for academic advising and im gona end up getting a terrible timetable for the first half year... sux really...

about your questions... ive done business law at UWS and it will be exempted... not sure about the other 3 (as im a commerce student - compared to u who seems like ur doing B Law)

Another thing, your GPA will restart from 0 at macquarie, so you dont have to worry about how u went at UWS... your UWS unit marks will not be on your macquarie academic transcript and i doubt any employer will ask you about them.

goodluck! n see ya on 12th =]

rajputsingh

HSC
Dont the previous marks count for my GPA at Macq? Thats terrible because I absolutely aced my time at UWS!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
It would only suck if you're implying that it's easier to get better marks at UWS. Otherwise, it'd be considered fair? :confused:
No that's not what I am saying at all. My marks are about the same with a stand out or two and in terms of law honours they also don't count which means that I have less subjects to average the odd poor mark over. It's nothing to do with the difficulty of achieving marks, sorry if it came off that way. It's pretty much the sane everywhere and I understand the reasons for it, it's just making my life more difficult for law honours hence the comment

manavji

HSC
N/A
Well, I guess sucked in to students who got D's and HD's at UWS... because they wont be counted... and as for students like me who got Passes, Credits and Distinctions... we can ace from here onwards and have a good gpa =].... system sucks... but only for those who dont know about it... if you knew how it worked before hand then may be you wouldnt have tried so hard at UWS...

scarf

HSC
Well, I guess sucked in to students who got D's and HD's at UWS... because they wont be counted... and as for students like me who got Passes, Credits and Distinctions... we can ace from here onwards and have a good gpa =].... system sucks... but only for those who dont know about it... if you knew how it worked before hand then may be you wouldnt have tried so hard at UWS...
yea, i only managed passes and credits last semester, which i pretty much attributed to my piss poor attitude returning to uni after such a long time, so i guess im lucky the system gives me a 2nd chance to do well. tho, i kinda had a sneaking suspicion it was the case coz my brother transferred from usyd to unsw, n his usyd marks werent listed on his unsw transcript.

n re ur previous post, yup, im a graduate law student, so 3 yrs of pure law. gl getting a decent timetable on the 12th as well! im preparing for like 5 days at uni with 4 hr breaks or 5 hr class chains *sigh* i think i might as well pay the $220 for a parking permit so i dun have to run bak n forth from mac square

rajputsingh

HSC
but only for those who dont know about it... if you knew how it worked before hand then may be you wouldnt have tried so hard at UWS...

Why would you not try your hardest no matter what uni you are at? If you didn't try your hardest at any uni, you do not deserve to be there!

Last edited:

manavji

HSC
N/A
well atleast one good news for us who transfered from UWS to MAC... and that is that if you get anything above Distinction you get a 4.0 GPA (which is the maximum GPA you can get at Macquarie) ... unlike UWS... where a gpa of 7.0 = High Distinction average... it kinda makes u a bit lazy but still better than getting HD's if you can get the highest gpa with a Distinction average.

manavji

HSC
N/A
Why would you not try your hardest no matter what uni you are at? If you didn't try your hardest at any uni, you do not deserve to be there!
I get what you are tryin to say... but sometimes with other commitments (work etc.) its kinda hard to keep up a distinction or high distinction average... so its good to know that you can get credits and still be in the same place (GPA restart) as HD/D students when you transfer lol.

Once you transfer ofcourse, you can try ur hardest and get a better than credit GPA at the uni you are gonna be finishin your degree.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you didn't try your hardest at any uni, you do not deserve to be there!
Don't have to try your hardest to get good marks. Its not just about effort but being smart and efficient in your study.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
well atleast one good news for us who transfered from UWS to MAC... and that is that if you get anything above Distinction you get a 4.0 GPA (which is the maximum GPA you can get at Macquarie) ... unlike UWS... where a gpa of 7.0 = High Distinction average... it kinda makes u a bit lazy but still better than getting HD's if you can get the highest gpa with a Distinction average.
Yes but then HD don't have as much of a normalising effect on your lower marks

X

xeuyrawp

No that's not what I am saying at all. My marks are about the same with a stand out or two and in terms of law honours they also don't count which means that I have less subjects to average the odd poor mark over. It's nothing to do with the difficulty of achieving marks, sorry if it came off that way. It's pretty much the sane everywhere and I understand the reasons for it, it's just making my life more difficult for law honours hence the comment
Oh I see, that must be annoying. Honours is such a cocksucker at Macquarie; in some departments, it's too easy to get in, whereas in others it's too hard. Then there's the point that the honours work itself is completely inconsistent across all departments, let alone the faculties.

scarf

HSC
I am unsure about criminal law as they have changed it, probably yes but you haven't done crim procedure so I dont know
Intro to law should be credited
Law foundation should be credited to jurisprudence
Property law will exempt you from property law 1
hey melsc,

for property law 1, did you manage to successfully exempt that unit? student services are quoting their CPS policy and refusing to exempt it because its a 300 level unit despite the law exemptions officer being happy to exempt it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)