Access 2009 free gift bag? (1 Viewer)

jaimebien

HSC
The Access website says that if you renew or sign up for your Access card, you'll get a gift bag. Does this apply online only? I signed up at the university and didn't receive it.

Not to be picky, but I did pay $99 so that I can get these benefits. I realise that it does say while stocks last, so maybe I could heckle them during O-Week?:)

ballin

Banned
HSC
relax little one. you get the gift bag during o week. first 100 or so get TWO!

*o*

HSC
i got a little voucher thing, they told me to come back in o week and i would get 2 bags...

not that i actually know whats in them...

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Can any current students share their opinion(s) on whether the Access Card is worth it or not? Oh, and do you have to get one to join Clubs and Societies?

ballin

Banned
HSC
hm thats tough to say but it really depends on your own personal habits. Firstly, no you dont NEED it to join clubs and societies, but it certainly does help as most C&S have a joining fee, which is often greatly reduced if you have an access card.

Now, as to whether its worth it, like i said, depends on the person. For someone who thinks that coffee is a necessary accessory just because they are cool and at sydney uni (not me), then it will definitely be worth it.

For normal people who sometimes eat / drink at uni (me) its still kinda worth it, because...well, its reduced prices! also, if you feel cool enough to go to any of the parties (eg beachball), you wont have to pay a fortune for a ticket if you have your access card. plus theres a whole heap of other benefits outside of campus which some may find really useful - Access - the University of Sydney Union

short answer: yes, its worth it.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
hwo much is the discount on coffee? i think it's more than a dollar. i'll save way more than $99 on coffee so its a good deal for me.

Miss Winey

HSC
currently i'm running the Sydney Uni Young Vinnies society.
For every access member that turns up to volunteer with sydney's homeless, disadvantaged children and so on, the union gives the society (and inkind sponsorship to vinnies) anywhere from $4 to $10 per event.
I think that's pretty good.

This applies to every student society. The only reason why Sydney Uni has SO MANY things happening - their own radio station, their own student theatre, revues, parties, concerts, publications, festivals, gyms, sporting clubs, 35 food outlets is because students in the past pulled their socks and did something to make it happen.

i'm tired of people always trying to GET SOMETHING out of the union,
why must EVERYTHING be about 'what's in it for me?'
this is the reason why so many student societies all over the country has virtually shut down AND THEN people complain that the university is "boring"

I have found my $99 far far FAR exceeds the opportunities the union support has offered me and where those opportunites have taken me.

Not only that, but maintaining 3 main buildings - toilets, electricity, water, tables, furniture, cleaning - this also costs money. so don't just think of your 15% off all the time.

in short - Yes, i highly support people buying the access card,

Miss Winey

HSC
oh also,
if you didn't get a showbag token, then if you're ever in uni again, show them your access card, and say you haven't got your showbag token yet.

jaimebien

HSC
Miss Winey, thanks, those are some great points! Well, I'm glad I joined as I'm definitely joining a few clubs/societies. (As for the gift bags, I wouldn't have minded too much if they weren't giving it out, except that I'm sure it comes out of the fee.)

Anyway, what other clubs have you joined? Are there any in particular you feel compelled to pitch about?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
hm thats tough to say but it really depends on your own personal habits. Firstly, no you dont NEED it to join clubs and societies, but it certainly does help as most C&S have a joining fee, which is often greatly reduced if you have an access card.
As of 2009 you cannot join a USU club without an access card.

James Cos

HSC
i'm tired of people always trying to GET SOMETHING out of the union,
why must EVERYTHING be about 'what's in it for me?'
I have found my $99 far far FAR exceeds the opportunities the union support has offered me and where those opportunites have taken me.
Hypocrite, much? - it's all about the opportunities and the "value" you've gotten out of the Union, right?

For some people, who get more than $99 of utility out of the access card, it is logical for them to join.

But for others, who don't personally get value for their hard-earned $99, why should they join if it's not personally advantageous? That's the beauty of choice - an option that uni students didn't have til recently.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Access cards also have benefits outside of USyd cupcakes. Usually you can get discounts at stores in Broadway shopping centre and popular clubs. You also get monthly or weekly emails from the Union about competitions, limited time discounts etcetc.

Check out the accessbenefits.com site ballin linked, it's got pretty much everything you need to know.

Miss Winey, is your society new? I don't remember there being a stall for it last year. I'll definitely join the society this year if you have a stall. (And bring my first year mentor kids with me. :D)

maz5

HSC
What's the probability of getting a showbag if you sign up DURING O-Week?

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
I only ever remember them giving us a free condom in the showbag.

And yes Chad, I am. Getting a head start on torturing first years. :)

maz5, you will probably get it. Just show them your access card.

maz5

HSC
So do you suggest getting an access card BEFORE O-Week?
Damn, I knew I should have gotten one today.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
It doesn't really matter. The lines might be quite long though.

Miss Winey

HSC
the lines are generally quite long during O-week especially in the morning.
if you can, try to get one before o-week.

the SRC are the ones that give out free condoms. and they do it all year round. no access card needed.
the Union gives you free chocolate! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)