Accessing a wireless connection (1 Viewer)

stag_j

My work (McDonald's) has recently had wireless access installed. I know i could make use of the wireless access alone, but is it possible to get better speeds by plugging my laptop directly into the router (assuming that is what it is... haven't looked closely yet) through the laptop's network card?
although all of the equipment is in a locked box, I'm a manager so I can get access to it without problems...
I know an average amount about basic wired networks (eg enough to set up a network at home on 4 computers, sharing cable internet over them, etc) but i don't know very much about wi-fi, and in particular not very much about the configuration of the hardware used in the wireless access point.
Any thoughts or ideas would be very helpful

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
You can plug straight in if there is a spare port (most professional setups I have seen dont have spare ports as they are all being used for either hubs or switchs---which is more than likely where you will have to plug in as unless the router is a switch as well (which most large networks are not) then your only option will be into a switch/hub).
Ethernet would be more stable as in there is no outside interferance eg cordless phones, microwaves etc but you are limited to the length of your cord. From my comp. networking days (5 years setting up school networks), optimum length in a hub design (which most networks are based on) is 100 metres. Allow 90m in the wall so best length is max. of 10 metres before the signal *can* be affected (*in theory*). Wireless on the other hand means no cables etc. so its a toss up based on your environment and need. ie why are you using a laptop at work when you should be working? (I mean, is sitting in front of a computer apart of yor job?) If its for free downloads, then wireless may be the better option as ppl wont really know you are doing it if you laptop is just "sitting" on your desk...hey its free so why worry about the speed difference if it occurs?? LOL

As for signal strength, assuming your ethernet connection and your wirless card are the same type (mine are 802.11g which = 54Mbps), there should be no difference in theory. Like I said, outside interference would be the deciding factor.

Hope this helps and make some sense...its been a long day

stag_j

Just to clarify a point, what i want to do is ignore the wireless side of things, and plug my laptop directly into the network somewhere so that I can achieve speeds greater than what are possible using a wireless connection.
ie say i have a wireless card with 802.11g(54Mbps), in reality the download speed will be considerably lower than this. Can i get (significantly) higher speeds by plugging the laptop directly into a router or hub or something.
If this is possible, would I set the network settings to use automatic IP address or would I manually have to configure everything?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by stag_j
If this is possible, would I set the network settings to use automatic IP address or would I manually have to configure everything?
You have to ask the network admin for the settings they are using.

fatmuscle

HSC
most routers run dhcp server, so dhcp should be fine.

then again, if they got proper admins, they'll block all other access directly to their router for security reasons

gabn

HSC
These networks at maccas are installed by telstra so you need to pay telstra to use them you can use dhcp on your wireless card to connect but any internet site you visit goes back to telstras home page.

look up hotspots on the telstra site your maccas should be listed. edit:see below

http://www.telstra.com.au/wirelesshotspots/index.htm

Last edited:

stag_j

OK I hadnt realised that it was a specifig telstra thing. I just looked at their website and I have to say those prices really don't look appealing.
I suppose even if what I was planning is possible, it most probably is strictly forbidden by telstra.
There go my hopes of abusing the system...
Out of interest, and perhaps for the benefit of others who might be in a similar situation without the same restrictions, I'd still like to hear peoples ideas on the possibility and the set-up to achieve what I was asking about originally.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Its still not possible either way because its a VPN, you would need an account to get onto the network.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Just curious,
How would a mc'donalds cusomter access the wireless link ?, costs, wireless range, etc.

Ta

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)