Accessing an offline computer over a network (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
So I have two PC's and a laptop connected in a network by a D-link router. Somethings when im doing work on my laptop upstairs, and i want to access files from my other PC's, i need to go downstairs switch on the computers, wait for them to load up completely and then be able to access them.

Is there anyway i can make the computer files on the PC's accessible when they are turned off. Also want to access the printer, but since its installed and runs through one of the PC's, going to need to turn that specific PC on to connect to the printer.

cheers

sunny

meh.
HSC
Most newer network cards support something called Wake On LAN (WOL). The network card isn't actually completely powered off, but if it receives a special packet it can power on the computer.

The other option is to set up a new computer which can act as your file server, and you can have your printer hooked up to it as well. If you're not into building your own thing you can always buy premade machines that will do the job if you want to spend the money - something like Netgear ReadyNAS Duo Review - Storage

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Most newer network cards support something called Wake On LAN (WOL). The network card isn't actually completely powered off, but if it receives a special packet it can power on the computer.

The other option is to set up a new computer which can act as your file server, and you can have your printer hooked up to it as well. If you're not into building your own thing you can always buy premade machines that will do the job if you want to spend the money - something like Netgear ReadyNAS Duo Review - Storage
hmm ok, i already have an external hard-drive USB 2.0, however it doesn't have an ethernet port, i was thinking if i get a USB-ETHERNET adaptor (something like this http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product_info.php?cPath=154_433&products_id=106043 )

And use it to plug the end of the usb from the harddrive to an ethernet cable supplied by me to my router, would that work?

sunny

meh.
HSC
No, the USB-to-Ethernet adapter only turns a USB port into an ethernet port if your computer doesn't have one, its doesn't turn a hard disk into networked file server.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
i bought the EEE-Box b202 so i could run all my usb HDDs on the network 24 hrs a day here (scroll down)
Otherwise if you want to buy a new NAS drive - here

The first one allows me to connect in a usb hub and run all 4 of my HDDs at once.
The second idea is if you want to buy 4 cheap 1tb hdd's (you can get them <$150 now! and just run it all straight off the Ethernet port. The box mentioned has gigabit ethernet, and wireless! (please note it's empty, you have to buy the hdd's seperatly)

Last edited:

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
No, the USB-to-Ethernet adapter only turns a USB port into an ethernet port if your computer doesn't have one, its doesn't turn a hard disk into networked file server.
yeah sunny is 100% correct.

You buy these when your computer is sooo old it doesnt have an ethernet port. OR when you ethernet port f*ks up, and you don;t want to buy a new MB. I've seen quite a few of these at college when the little metal pins break.

*Jezzza

HSC
Uni Grad
Or you could get a router with a USB port which you could plug in a hub and then your printer and external hard drive. I don't think that these are too expensive and it would let you share your files and printers wirelessly without having to spend too much on a NAS and hard drives. Lots of manfacturers make them, D-Link, Apple etc.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Buy a cheap PC and turn it into a small server.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)