accg352 vs 353 vs 350 (1 Viewer)

havy

HSC
Hi, as an applied finance student I'll need to choose one unit between accg352 and accg353, any suggestions?

also accg350 financial statement analysis looks like an useful elective, but there're also ppl complaining that its not as useful as it looks / or the unit structure was bad, and its very difficult to gain high marks for accg350.

so hav anyone done those units? all comments will be appreciated.:)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Just a quick question Havy, you mentioned PS146 compliance, can we actually get that by doing 360/352? Please hook us up with a link or something coz that sounds interesting!

havy

HSC
as u can see, insurance and super compliance need acst300, but its lectures clash with both accg329 and econ350, so i'll probably leave it.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
thanks matey. With all that though, you need LAW506, which we could never do.

havy

HSC
Supra said:
thanks matey. With all that though, you need LAW506, which we could never do.
"Past graduates have the opportunity to enrol in single units of study in
order to comply with ASIC Training Requirements.":D

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
ahhhhh i c ;) very clever! This is only for AppFin i assume. I saw a gap program for MAppFin grads too...its too late for me to transfer to AppFin

havy

HSC
so far I prefer 352 over 353, and likely to choose econ360 because of ps146.
That just leaves accg350, it sure LOOKS interesting and useful, but i've heard that it's quite time consuming and difficult to get a good mark from.
I think Luke has done accg350, just wondering wat he thinks about it.

havy

HSC
but once again, there're all these google ads about ps146 short courses, like "$800 for 8 day course, no exams and ps146 accredation straight away". If they are not scams then maybe take those ones instead of tough subjects at uni.

ReaveR

HSC
If you've done 329, both 352 and 353 are similar.

The first half of 352 is very similar to 329, and the second half less so - different lecturers each half. The second half just focuses on some reports that the lecturer wrote but I don't know what the exam is like (it's tomorrow). Structure wise, the midsem is equal weighting with the final and the assignment makes up the rest. No textbook for either, but you can use one of the 329 ones for the first half.

353 is an extension on 253. My hatred for this subject has diminished however talking so some people they still find the content and exam hard - one usually smart cookie I talked to said she left out 30 marks in the final. The textbook is meant to be internationally recognised but I found it crap as it was full of useless proofs that we didn't even need to know.

Also I just had a look at your link, I'm meant to finish now but I haven't done things like Econ335 or Acst305, does that mean if I want PS146 I can't graduate yet T_T Farrout it's a bit lucky we can get 146 compliance, I didn't even know... wasn't in the handbook or anything.

Last edited:

havy

HSC
I dont think acst305 is that necessary, I mean we cant even do it without the stat272 preq.

I dont even plan to do acst300 (clash with accg329 and econ350, dont hav that much interest in super and insurance, plus its a 4cp unit).

u dont need econ335 for graduation (as long as u took econ350 and 360 instead). If you want ps146 compliance, just take a short course either back at uni or somewhere else (ie those street credits) once u start working.

almost everyone i talked to hates 353... wats going on? I did a search on BOS and it seems that ppl back in 2005 had alot more positive comments about it...

btw, how was the 352 assignment? i've heard that its a group assignment based on spreadsheet models...and its huge...do u think doing auditing spreadsheet helps doing 352 assignment?

anyways, good luck for your exam!

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
ok with the PS146 you see on Google, I was referring to that :p These short courses, are conducted by the Master of Applied Finance centre at Mac, for their graduates.

Now, PS146 usually requires DFS/DFP which are four modules in financial planning per se (covers everything from super and insurace, to derivatives) hence the exemption for the uni courses. There are numerous institutions across Australia that offer this course, and they're not dodgy, but legitimate ways of getting the qualification. We're talking about ASIC here, sif get a dodgy accreditation, that'd be pointless since they're vultures.

So graduate, and do the Diploma afterwards if you wish, for PS146, it wont take too long either. Organisations that offer it are:
Tribeca (now known as Kaplan) - CBA get their employees to do it through there, so thats the most likely way I'd go for it.

ThreeSixty

FINSIA etc.

btw good luck Reaver!

havy

HSC
cool, sounds like we dont need to do tough subjects like accg350, econ360, acst300, law506...instead just do very very easy electives and get drunk everyday at uni then graduate, do those short courses and get ps146!:rofl:

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
sounds like a plan i can stick to! Of course not doing those units may prevent you from doing short courses, and actually do the full-on modules after...but the drunk part sounds about right

havy

HSC
Supra said:
sounds like a plan i can stick to! Of course not doing those units may prevent you from doing short courses, and actually do the full-on modules after...but the drunk part sounds about right
prevent from doing short courses? but i thought that short courses are for ppl who missed out on those subjects??

ok lets put it this way, we dont hav to do acst305, its "either accg352 or acst305"
and subjects like accg350 and law506 are only required for financial planning, so if we dont get them we can still do that other roles. Acst300 (super and insurance) is probably tough too, so short course sounds more feasible.

I'll probably do econ360 though, ppl say that its not that hard, just comparatively more annoying that 335 and 350.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
i could not stand the accg350 lectures, the lecturer delivery is incredible painful, i just wanted to shoot myself, i remember constantly moving and fidgeting and wishing she would get to the fucking point ... i swear she has to spend so long explaing the most basic things, also she goes into long rants about her personal life and goes off-topic constantly, it really is unbearable, i remember leaving alot of lectures early ...

havy

HSC
RUB!X said:
i could not stand the accg350 lectures, the lecturer delivery is incredible painful, i just wanted to shoot myself, i remember constantly moving and fidgeting and wishing she would get to the fucking point ... i swear she has to spend so long explaing the most basic things, also she goes into long rants about her personal life and goes off-topic constantly, it really is unbearable, i remember leaving alot of lectures early ...
...sounds like lectures are bad, wat about the overall workload, tutorials, assignments and exams?
how useful do u think accg350 really is? would u recommend it to anyone interested in finance?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
havy said:
prevent from doing short courses? but i thought that short courses are for ppl who missed out on those subjects??

ok lets put it this way, we dont hav to do acst305, its "either accg352 or acst305"
and subjects like accg350 and law506 are only required for financial planning, so if we dont get them we can still do that other roles. Acst300 (super and insurance) is probably tough too, so short course sounds more feasible.

I'll probably do econ360 though, ppl say that its not that hard, just comparatively more annoying that 335 and 350.
Those short courses were specifically for MAppFin grads...

Since we'd be just grads, I think we'd have to do the full fledged course, which is different to the short course, and I dont think they'll care what we've done at uni either. I reckon we should get exemptions from some of the four modules due to uni, but i dont know if thats allowed.

havy

HSC
but wat about the quote "Past graduates have the opportunity to enrol in single units of study in order to comply with ASIC Training Requirements." thats for B AppFin isn't it?

besides if we dont do acst300, accg350 and law506, we will only miss out on fin planning, super and insurance, cant we just do those specializations later on? I mean do we need ALL these specializations? I'm sure there're ppl who are not interested in all specializations.

Last edited:

ReaveR

HSC
Cheers guys. Exam wasn't too bad, I'll make a new thread for it so search can pick it up for newbies next time.

I noticed in some of the other threads, you've been talking/asking about Econ360, and havy you're going to do it anyway but yeah don't be too fussed about it. Sometimes the content in the lectures is a bit hard to understand but actually in the end it's quite easy, and the final was just lots of multiple choice with choice of essays. The professor is a kind german man with wrinkles on the back of his bald head, and he's very, very smart. He's written the eTextbook for the course which contains volumes and volumes, so you should go to the lectures at least in the beginning to pick up the lecture notes which are summaries of his eTextbook.

Econ350 isn't a replacement, it's domestic markets rather than foreign exchange, but 350 is alot easier. I can't state that importantly enough. It's basically general knowledge about the Australian financial system. There is no way you can't get good marks for it.

Re PS146 I had just planned to do it at Finsia (which is just an online course anyway) next year but yeah I'll investigate this uni thing a bit more. I noticed that ASIC page lists Chris Heaton as the guy to talk to but shit I hate him after doing Econ232 so yeah that'll be fun.

Edit: 352 Assignment - it's just a huge spreadsheet with US data going back to 1926, you're meant to construct a tactical asset allocation strategy to beat the benchmark of 60% equities, 30% long bonds and 10% treasury bills. I felt a little out of my depth because there's no textbook and nearly zero information on how to do it, but the tutorials and later lectures take you through it. May need to do a bit of regression depending on the strategy you use.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)