Accommodation at MQ (1 Viewer)

weiwern28

HSC
N/A
So I received an offer to study Actuarial Studies in Macquarie and I am most probably going to accept it (entering 2nd semester). I was looking through the student accommodation and there was Dunmore Lang, Robert McKenzies and Macquarie University Village. I was hoping some of the people here could help me with the decision on where to stay. What are the distance from the colleges to the campus? How is the student life in each? Additionally, concerning internet usage, I found out that in DLC one has to pay for how much data one downloads, what about in the other colleges? Furthermore, how are the rooms in each of the colleges?

prusso

HSC
they are both within walking distance

dunmore lang has a huge file sharing system in place - alot of tv shows downloaded by the americans *apparently*

X

xeuyrawp

I would really recommend seeing the places for yourself, so you can make your own judgement. You might really like something about one college, or hate something about another which we mightn't even have noticed.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you're female, you can sleep in my bed ;)

weiwern28

HSC
N/A
Sorry to dissapoint you but I'm male, problem is that I don't live in Australia and I can't see the colleges for myself.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
don't live in the dorms, they're full of americans lol.. and the places look pretty ugly to me, they look like run-down townhouses .. live in apartments with people who live close to the uni

My friend lives in the dorms, she loves it, atmosphere is great etc.... but thats her.. i'de want to live seperately

p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s

mademoiselleN
HSC
weiwern28 said:
So I received an offer to study Actuarial Studies in Macquarie and I am most probably going to accept it (entering 2nd semester). I was looking through the student accommodation and there was Dunmore Lang, Robert McKenzies and Macquarie University Village. I was hoping some of the people here could help me with the decision on where to stay. What are the distance from the colleges to the campus? How is the student life in each? Additionally, concerning internet usage, I found out that in DLC one has to pay for how much data one downloads, what about in the other colleges? Furthermore, how are the rooms in each of the colleges?
Hey there

So let's see how i can help. I live at DLC and I like it here :)

It's just 5 mins' walk from campus, and 5mins walk from the shopping centre. There are 3 types of rooms, some with shared/own ensuite ($ 345-380 p/w), some with common bathroom ($195 p/w). Every room got a sink though, and a walk-in robe.

hmm,whatelse, the social life's pretty good, there's sthg on every night if u're bored. And special nites all yr 'round, variety nite, international nite, annual ball, introductory dinners, cruise etcc and alcohol is always provided by the college on those nites. but it's not really a prob. unless u happened to be on a ghetto floor.

hmm, speakin' of prizes, dlc's pretty generous with scholarships, bursaries etc. They range from $500-2500.

Internet yeah, u have to prepay an account and it's 10.3c per mb. ARGGH.
BUT we do have an awesome internal network...and u can find everything u can possibly imagine there!

The students are mostly australians or americans, and a bit of everything...from sg,india,chili,mexico,france,holland..u get the idea.

voila think thats abt it for dlc! u can pm me if u still have any qs!

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
As a fellow RMC student... I feel like i should argue with you about the awesomeness of RMC and the dark gloomy feel of Dunmore.

Firstly, RMC is a dry college, ie no Alcohol. One of only 2 in NSW. Being a fellow Actuary, I don't like the loud screaming and drunken behaviour which normally is associated with alcohol. One can argue that DLC rooms have sinks so that they don't make a mess of the place after a big night.

Secondly, I have no idea where you got the $195 p/w from. Look at the fee's. RMC has cheaper term AND registration fee's. Why? because RMC is not for profit. Yes DLC has bigger scholarships... but you pay more!

All the social activities/internet are the same but unlike DLC, probably 60-70% of the college are asian.

anyway, more actuaries at RMC, come to RMC :p

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
Sorry to hijack this thread.
But.. how long does it take to get to MQ from chipendale area? (no idea what the closest train st is) then how far is the uni from the train st?
thankies
I think Chippendale is near the inner city, so it might be best if you got the bus that goes from the CBD -->MQ which is about 50 mins, otherwise you'd go to an inner city train station like redfern or central and catch the train to Epping (40 or so mins) and then a bus from Epping to MQ(10 mins).

When the train station is built at MQ, it might be quicker to catch the train to Chatswood and change to the MQ line there *shrugs*

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
Thankies Evan.
MSN is letting me type today too!!
wow.. I thought MQ was closer to the city than that. Whats the town/city MQ is actually in?
I guess you'd call it North Rhyde *isn't sure*

p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s

mademoiselleN
HSC
JOhnNiLiCiouS said:
As a fellow RMC student... I feel like i should argue with you about the awesomeness of RMC and the dark gloomy feel of Dunmore.

Firstly, RMC is a dry college, ie no Alcohol. One of only 2 in NSW. Being a fellow Actuary, I don't like the loud screaming and drunken behaviour which normally is associated with alcohol. One can argue that DLC rooms have sinks so that they don't make a mess of the place after a big night.

Secondly, I have no idea where you got the $195 p/w from. Look at the fee's. RMC has cheaper term AND registration fee's. Why? because RMC is not for profit. Yes DLC has bigger scholarships... but you pay more!

All the social activities/internet are the same but unlike DLC, probably 60-70% of the college are asian.

anyway, more actuaries at RMC, come to RMC :p
well well yeah it's $295 p/w. Calm down god!

yeah my sink is also useful when i need to puke, whenever . u dont mind i hope. :)

weiwern28

HSC
N/A
Thanks you all for the help. I've decided to apply for DLC and am waiting for the acceptance since price won't be much of a factor for me. Thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)