Accommodation at UNSW (1 Viewer)

jang

is not my real name
HSC
like i saw price details on the unsw site, but there werent pics of the rooms etc so i'd like to ask a few q's

1) what r the rooms/units like in general? - dirty shabby crap? small but clean? luxurious?

2) can u make lots of noise without disturbing those in adjacent rooms?

3) r there nice rules - can bring friends in blahblah?

4) ...and..... is it worth it?

5) how does on campus compare with renting? like renting would obviously entail buyin furniture n shit rite?

6) also, r there really more applicants for accommodation on campus than there are beds available? - if so, then how early would u recommend prospective students to apply..

thanks mahassiv

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I have all the same questions and probably more. :)

Namely, I read in the 2005 prospectus that 1st years don't have access to the off-campus rental housing. This true?

What site was this, BTW, jang?

grimreaper

HSC
jang said:
like i saw price details on the unsw site, but there werent pics of the rooms etc so i'd like to ask a few q's

1) what r the rooms/units like in general? - dirty shabby crap? small but clean? luxurious?

4) ...and..... is it worth it?

5) how does on campus compare with renting? like renting would obviously entail buyin furniture n shit rite?

6) also, r there really more applicants for accommodation on campus than there are beds available? - if so, then how early would u recommend prospective students to apply..

thanks mahassiv
These answers are just based on what I've seen being given a tour of the colleges and other information Ive got, but I'll be staying at Basser college this year:

1) I'd say the rooms are small but clean from what I've seen... though I guess this'll depend more on person staying there than anything else

2) I doubt it but not really sure...

3) Different colleges have different rules. I know at basser and the other kensington colleges you can bring friends in, but they have to pay to have meals

4)Well I think so, but others might not

5)Yeah and if you rented youd need to get your own food whereas thats provided at college. Youre also provided with a desk, bed and chair in your room

6) There are WAY more applicants then places available, though I cant remember exact numbers. I applied around october and got in, but you should probably apply earlier than that if planning to stay there in 2006

Oh and slide rule, Im quite sure you cant stay at the self catered apartments in first year

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
jang said:
I've only had experience with Baxter College.

The rooms are very small but clean.

Yep...double brick/concrete walls.

Yep you can bring people in.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
amm, the most important thing here is internet connections
i want 100gbit fibreoptic connections with 10000000terrabyte cap please
thanks

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Don't forget Internet2, li0n.

wind

HSC
Here's a nice site regarding UNSW accommodation:
http://www.housing.unsw.edu.au/

Reading the prospectus, it seems that only the independant International House doesn't accept first year students. All other independant colleges and UNSW colleges accept any year students.

Anyways, best to take a look at the site. Seems pretty good; better than what the prospectus has to offer.

grimreaper

HSC
Yes anyone can stay at the colleges (except international house) however the self catered apartments are also for second year and above only.

Oh and lion, thats the worst thing about living at college I think :(. We only get the unis dial up connection as far as i know, but Im so used to adsl now

wind

HSC
grimreaper said:
Yes anyone can stay at the colleges (except international house) however the self catered apartments are also for second year and above only.

Oh and lion, thats the worst thing about living at college I think :(. We only get the unis dial up connection as far as i know, but Im so used to adsl now
Yup, the Mulwaree and Barker apartments aren't available to first year students coming straight from school.

grimreaper

HSC
Idyll said:
You get to plug your computer into the university network using an ethernet port in your room.

Traffic within the university network is free, but i think it's 4.4c/mb for external traffic.

So you'll have fast internet access, you just don't want to use too much of it.
hmm well thats a relief if its true (even if thats a steep rate).

By the way (this is off topic) thats an awesome quote by the shell ceo in your sig slide rule, even if I do doubt how true it is

grimreaper

HSC
Idyll said:
all of this stuff should be in your offer email.

at least, the offer email i got from the kensington colleges came with a whole lot of attachments, which included various forms and an information booklet (about 40 pages). that outlined pretty much everything you need to know (even told me how to use the phone system and which prefixes i needed to use for what, lol).
Yeah youre right - but its a 40 page document hehe, I hadnt read it all yet. So did you end up accepting your offer for kenso, or are you goin somewhere else?

jang

is not my real name
HSC
thx to all for responding :)
grimreaper said:
if you rented youd need to get your own food whereas thats provided at college.
REALLY?! thats mad!
is this only at the Basser college? or at all campus accommodations?

n wat r u given / how often?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Hell yes! I've scored a position at a smaller independent college 15 mins from UNSW - full board, cheap, open all year long. There's even a place to park my car!

jang: All colleges give you full-board. That means food, laundry, electricity, water, phone/internet and furniture, typically.

ace

is retired
HSC
- get your own under-sized room
- complete without amenties
- shared showering, wow the privacy
- remember, again, no amenties, includes no taps
- heavy duty - fluorescent bulb lighting - fully 70's
- that food you said you'd never eat, hello luncheon
- all this for a low $300, priceLESS

<i>YOU'RE LIVING IT :D</i>

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Haha. You made a grammatical error on the last line. *you're

Last edited:

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
FYI, ace was the grammar police of my software engineering team. Therefore any grammar mistake he makes will be properized. Any attempts to correctify him will prove calamitous.

Btw about new college, I actually find the place's atmosphere somehow refreshing. Not sure how much concentration on work I could probably have with people wondering around your place every now and then though..

grimreaper

HSC
ace said:
- get your own under-sized room
- complete without amenties
- shared showering, wow the privacy
- remember, again, no amenties, includes no taps
- heavy duty - fluorescent bulb lighting - fully 70's
- that food you said you'd never eat, hello luncheon
- all this for a low $300, priceLESS

<i>YOU'RE LIVING IT :D</i>
Bah I think youre exaggerating a lot of the bad things - another thing is that a couple of the colleges (basser and shalom at least) do have basins in each room contrary to what you said. Another thing is that for some of us theres really no option (Im moving to sydney and know no one nearby I could live with)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)