Accomodation at Newcastle (1 Viewer)

copeys

HSC
Not happy with the accomodation... Live 6hrs away and didnt get in.

Copeys did not like this.
Copeys did not like this at all.

Lau93

HSC
N/A
Which college would be the no.1 recommendation for a 1st year from Sydney?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Any. TEDS is usually the first choice for non-internationals.

Just be open minded to not getting in to any college.

kfnmpah

HSC
I'm a returner at teds (i.e. this is my second year here) and i live in sydney and i got on two times, so i'm thinking distance has nothing to do with it.
How you go at uni makes a difference, pretty sure if you fail a subject you don't get let back on.

Just putting this out there- college is shit. I've been stuck with stinky asians (like international asians, not australian-asians) who don't talk to you, hide from you and never wash up/clean/empty bins etc. You get no say in who you live with and they(college) are inconsiderate when it comes to a lot of things. My fire alarm was going off for 4 hours from 6-10 this morning because they were testing them.
It has also come to my attention that college is a cash cow. If you forget your room key, they charge you 5, then 10 then 20 dollars (it doubles every time) when there is a 'duty warden' who already gets paid to do exactly that- let locked out people in. They are also very inefficient when it comes to emails/forwarding mail/everything. They didn't forward 3 months worth of mail to me over summer holidays. derp.

That being said, it's cheap ($145 p/w at self catered at teds- includes EVERYTHING except food) if something breaks you don't have to pay to fix it, don't have to worry about parking, takes 10 minutes to get to shortland side/5 minutes to get to hunter side and it's pretty social. but still... i dunno if the positives are enough to compensate for the negatives.

Also! if you live at self catered you will get harassed by the kitchen staff every time you go to a teds event that is catered because they think you don't like at teds. it's fucking rude as shit.

/rant.

Lau93

HSC
N/A
Well there's not really another viable option. Not keen for 4+ hours travel to and from Uni everyday, and I'm not exactly going to know anyone I can live with. It can't be that bad can it?

kfnmpah

HSC
where did you apply on campus?

tbh, every where in newcastle is death.
if you want somewhere close to uni, jesmond/birmingham gardens/waratah parking at uni is DEATH so don't even bother and buses are horrid. you want to be close to a train station or walking distance.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I heard tenant vacancy is the lowest it's been for a number of years.

Have fun finding a place.

miscer

HSC
Fuck I didn't apply into college because I didn't think I'd go to Newcastle....
Now what do I do? I'm desperately trying to find a sharehouse within bicycling distance to uni, how hard is this?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
It's not hard, but it's not exactly high class.

Walking distance is basically anywhere in Jesmond/Birmingham Gardens (10-20 mins). To me, cycling distance is up to Hamilton, but that would probably be ~30 mins. It's a pretty flat road, though.

You're best to check on teh googlez. I'm lazy and wouldn't know.

delian

HSC
N/A
anyone hear about the plans to build more accommodation. can anyone verify this?

strawberryswing

HSC
Hi, I know I already posted this on the UUNF site, but I kinda really need to know soon (accomodation applications open in a week)
I'm really interested in living on campus next year for uni, and i was wondering which accommodation would be best?
I would live self catered (edwards, evatt), but I want to know which house is more social?
I'm really interested in doing well in my studies as well as having fun but i don't know what house would be more appropriate.
Edwards is advertised on the website as being more social, but i've heard that Evatt is incredible social as well. :?
i would love an opinion from someone who actually goes there :)
Thanks heaps

Brett_P

HSC
For shared accomodation at Barhineban, can you nominate someone to stay with? Or is it random only?

Sexy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)