Accomodation help... (1 Viewer)

amandaWill

HSC
What can I do now? I've received a late offer... the student accomodation is full... new to Canberra... no friends in Canberra... the semester starts soon...

:cold:

Shaybay92

HSC
Man I feel really bad for you. I am so glad that I know some people who are willing to let me live with them or I would most likely be in the same boat as you. You should start looking at rentals straight away. Ring around, get on realestate sites :/

gingerwitch28

HSC
What can I do now? I've received a late offer... the student accomodation is full... new to Canberra... no friends in Canberra... the semester starts soon...

:cold:
This is stupid though, if you're a first year they have to arrange something for you. And there are plenty of us wanting to rip the Accom services a new one, we're in the same boat as you - even though most of us got Main Round offers and still haven't gotten uni accom.

John555

HSC
This is stupid though, if you're a first year they have to arrange something for you. And there are plenty of us wanting to rip the Accom services a new one, we're in the same boat as you - even though most of us got Main Round offers and still haven't gotten uni accom.
No, the guarantee is only for first years outside of ACT who got a MAIN round offer. The OP got a late offer.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
I think they only guarantee accommodation to the people who get offers in the main round, not late ones... so that guy is kinda stuck.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Well, ANU's the only uni in Australia that does any sort of accommodation guarantee at all, so the OP's situation would be no better anywhere else.

OP: Definitely start ringing around and checking out real estate places ASAP.

dreamee

HSC
Maybe try the nunnery? But be prepared: even that might be full this close to start of semester...

ciaociao

HSC
I've just moved to canberra from NZ and managed to find a flat (Feb round offer, so no accommodation guarantee)... Reply to all the ads you can, even if a lot of them don't email you back some will. Be prepared to go and see places (ie. unless you have a car, ask them what bus route they're on when you talk to them), and include a little bit about yourself in the email you send so if they receive lots saying "what time is good?" you make it easier for them than other people do.
The canberra times has an accommodation supplement one day a week (either friday or saturday), they post the ads on the website too but I found that ringing them after buying the paper that morning I was the first to ring a lot of them by the sound of it. So that could be an idea.
The accommodation office at ANU was providing computers with internet and phones to call people off so you could sit there and make appointments for hours on end if you wanted to (for free!). Of course if you live in the area probably easier to do it from home. Then you can look up the bus timetables and use google maps to get an idea of how far it is from the uni, too.
If you know other people you could go to real estate agents, otherwise you have to find your own flatmates because the ones we talked to didn't do share accommodation only rentals.
You can always call up the uni and ask them for advice.
Some of the colleges are talking about having staff billet the students if they're really desparate, if you live close you probably wouldn't go for that though. This doesn't seem to be advertised but if you think you're in a desparate enough situation you could get in contact with your faculty and ask - a general email has been sent out but probably one with a student's name and face etc. would get more replies.
I stayed in the YHA until I found the place I'm at now, they let me cancel the nights I'd booked that I didn't need and weren't too expensive (not that I looked at it properly but oh well, it was cheap enough, and clean). If you're coming in from further away try to book it as far ahead as possible though because places in the centre of the city have been reasonably full (partly because of the festival of cultures i think).
Anyway just ring people up, email people, talk to people at the uni... The last thing they want is to lose good students because there's no accommodation!
Anyway, that turned out to be a long post. Hope it's useful to someone. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)