Accomodation in Melbourne for next year? (1 Viewer)

bluemonday

HSC
Hi everyone

I just found this site (wish I had found it during Year 12:vcross:). I'm surprised that there is no section for discussing accommodation etc.

Is anyone moving to Melbourne from interstate/Victorian country to study next year?

What accommodation options are you considering/have already organised?

I am keen on getting an apartment in one of the buildings run by Student Housing Australia etc. However, the problem with these is that you must have a university offer/place secured. Obviously Victorians don't receive these until the middle of January, which means all of the apartments are taken by international students by that stage.

I'm now looking at regular renting.

Any advice?

Cheers

FatJ

The Sexiest Man Alive
HSC
I got a place in RMIT Village Old Melbourne - I did the NSW HSC, basically told them I WILL be going to uni in Melbourne and they appeared to beleive me. Which is good, because now it looks like I'm actually going to RMIT (wasn't sure which uni before). But anyway, if you want to get one of those places just apply and you can tell them your ENTER score if it really matters for them.
I think they might prioritise International and interstate students though... for obvious reasons.

pezdog

HSC
I did my HSC in 08 and missed out on the Sydney courses i wanted so was looking at moving to Melbourne for uni this year, applied for Deakin On Campus residence and looked at a few share accomadation places. Then i took some time to work out how much it would cost me to live down there with no Government assistance, i worked out your looking at atleast 10grand a year even with just $150 rent a week. So now my plan is to defer uni for a year, work full time (already started) for another year and then move down there. I think when i compared prices for On Campus and Off Campus you saved about 2grand living off campus at Deakin.

kalli

HSC
Hi everyone

I just found this site (wish I had found it during Year 12:vcross:). I'm surprised that there is no section for discussing accommodation etc.

Is anyone moving to Melbourne from interstate/Victorian country to study next year?

What accommodation options are you considering/have already organised?

I am keen on getting an apartment in one of the buildings run by Student Housing Australia etc. However, the problem with these is that you must have a university offer/place secured. Obviously Victorians don't receive these until the middle of January, which means all of the apartments are taken by international students by that stage.

I'm now looking at regular renting.

Any advice?

Cheers
Hi,

I moved from Coffs Harbour to Melbourne to go to uni at RMIT (04-07). I was with my ex back then and we moved out together so it's was a hell of a lot easier than moving out on my own (like I am now).

I've heard good things about the RMIT Village if you're prepared to live in student accommodation. There are also other city apartment blocks that cater for studios (whether it's a small one bedroom with a desk or a studio). Best bet is realestate.com.au

How much are you looking at paying for rent? You wont get a one bedroom in the CBD for less than $300 these days... Studios you can be paying a little less than $300. These are without car parks mind you. But to be honest, you dont need a car if you're living in the city.

Don't be afraid to move to the suburbs and catch the train/tram/bus into the city. Rent is soooooo much cheaper in the burbs and you get a lot more space for your $$$.

Ummm what else do you need to know... Real Estate Agents in Melbourne are CRAP so don't be surprised if they are hell nice to you to get you into the property then you never hear from them again (unless its inspection time). I emailed my agent over a week ago to get permission to hang curtains - never heard back from him so I just went ahead and hung them :p

If you have any specific questions, let me know!

Kalli

philphie

Banned
HSC
if you're going to university of Melbourne PArkville rents are fairly good and the terraces are very nice. A lot of students are going to Footscray i hear and it's being gentrified so don't worry about race riots or anything, Footscray is pretty vibrant, it's just Melbourne's stuffy culture refuses to accept this, eastern suburbs of Melbourne are barely that affluent compared to Eastern suburbs of sydney in terms of property inflation, the inner west here in sydney has much more appreciation. don't take my opinion too seriously though because I live in sydney, and i only know Melbourne as my second city

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not just people in eastern suburbs who think it's dodgey. Every person who speask to me tells me it's a doghole. One girl told me how scared she was the other day because she got the wrong bus and ended up in, god forbid, FOOTSCRAY!

If you want to go to a gentrified place but cheap, go to Brunswick.

Want to lose a finger, go to Footscray

But then again ... I'm arguing with someone who graduated VCE last year. Bought your place in footscray yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)