Accounting + Actuarial (1 Viewer)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Hey!

I am doing a major in accounting in UNSW. I was wondering if it's possible to do another major in actuarial studies too.

I picked quantitative methods but the UNSW website said something about having to pick another course if you want to major in actuarial...

I picked Acct. 1A and quantitative methods.

Well the question is, can I still major in actuarial as well as accounting with the subjects i picked?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
YBK said:
Hey!

I am doing a major in accounting in UNSW. I was wondering if it's possible to do another major in actuarial studies too.

I picked quantitative methods but the UNSW website said something about having to pick another course if you want to major in actuarial...

I picked Acct. 1A and quantitative methods.

Well the question is, can I still major in actuarial as well as accounting with the subjects i picked?

Do you really want to end up with this double major? If so, WHY?

Or is it a contingency plan to begin with and you'll decide on either one later in your degree.

YBK

HSC
redruM said:
Do you really want to end up with this double major? If so, WHY?

Or is it a contingency plan to begin with and you'll decide on either one later in your degree.
oh.. i just heard that you have to take two majors. Or that most people take 2 majors.. :S

and hmmm, i feel like doing actuarial cause i love maths.. and i have to do accounting cause i already have a cadetship, and i really like it too.

YBK

HSC
Core Courses which account for 36 units of credit (6 courses - 18 units of credit per session):

* ACCT1501 Accounting and Financial Management 1A
* ACCT1511 Accounting and Financial Management 1B
* ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
* ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
* ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A*
* ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B*

* Students in Actuarial Studies programs substitute approved Mathematics courses for professional recognition for ECON1202 and ECON1203.

What are the "approved Mathematics courses" ?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
YBK said:
oh.. i just heard that you have to take two majors. Or that most people take 2 majors.. :S

and hmmm, i feel like doing actuarial cause i love maths.. and i have to do accounting cause i already have a cadetship, and i really like it too.
So you are using the Accounting major to secure the cadetship and get experience?

But want to end up working based on your actuarial degree?

YBK

HSC
Affinity said:
MATH1151 and MATH1251
thanks.

Do you think it is still possible to drop quantitative methods and pick up MATH 1151 or MATH 1251?

I have a quantative methods lecture and tutorial today... i'll go to it but i guess i'll have to miss out on the MATH 1151 as i havent enrolled in it yet...

YBK

HSC
Sorry guys.. so should I drop the quantitative methods course and pick up MATH1151 if i want to have a major in actuarial studies too?

Or do i have to keep quantitative methods if i want to major in accounting?

Raginsheep

HSC
MATH1151 and MATH1251 will override QMA and QMB. I think you can still change. I just did.

YBK

HSC
Raginsheep said:
MATH1151 and MATH1251 will override QMA and QMB. I think you can still change. I just did.
oh cool.. i just clicked to check the class timetables and it's not loading! arghh!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
if you love maths, do maths, not actuarial. if you want to be employed after you do your degree, do well in your degree and get some experience. forget doing something for job prospects.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
i was in the same situation in year 12. was thinking of doing accounting/actuarial coz i had a cadetship in one of the big 4.

decided not to take it up and pursued actuarial instead.

dont regret it at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)