Accounting Cadetship 2008 (1 Viewer)

yer8899

HSC
do the interviewers really care that much about marks?
i got fairly shit marks in the half yearlies so im a bit worried as to whether theyll even bother giving me an interview.
- ive done team sporting activities for over 10 yrs
- have a part time job (2 yrs)
- done all the fundraising stuff for school etc
- done DOE bronze and silver and completing gold
- SRC
- gone on leadership camps

am i in with a shot?

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
^ Of course. Prodvided you are confident that you can get into a Commerce degree in university.

Kotor2

HSC
G'day, im just wondering if having exerience in an accounting firm would have any sway on helping me get a cadetship?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ shows that you have had an interest in a career in accounting and since you have experienced it (a bit), at least you know kindof what you're getting yourself into?

nnp

HSC
N/A
Like Vinnyboy, I am also a cadet and was in your shoes not that long ago. I had a lot of help from the "bored site" last year, so I decided to pay it forwards this year by answering any questions you all have (in my best ability) regarding the recruitment process or the actual experience of being a cadet.

cheers

NNP

Arithela

HSC
Around how many people actually get interviews each year in sydney? Do you have to prove to the interviewers of your achievements? ie. bringing your sports trophy along?

nnp

HSC
N/A
Arithela said:
Around how many people actually get interviews each year in sydney? Do you have to prove to the interviewers of your achievements? ie. bringing your sports trophy along?
About how many ppl actually get interviews each year....the answer is depends on which divisions you applied for. Because more ppl tend to apply for Assurance/ Audit etc. rather than Tax. But don't worry about that just yet. As long as you have a decent application form, it is very likely that you will secure yourself an interview. I am sure many of you will end up having many interviews to go to (of course, when you apply for more than firm).

About having to bring your trophies. I dont think you have to. just bring yourself and being able to talk about it, that would be enough....the way you talk about it would tell the interviewers whether or not you have actually done them!!! What interviewers look for is that you have reacted well to teamwork environmnet, show leaderships skills....bringing a suitcase of trophies cannot ciommunicate that!

Cheers
NNP

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
The big4 won't sit you down and go through your CV with you; a lot of smaller-tier firms will and so its good to bring a folder with any certificates etc. that you mentioned.

Arithela

HSC
what is CV?

can you guys share what you do as a cadet? how many people in your firm? where is it located? i know the cadetship is mainly for experience but how much do you get paid?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
What is CV? = Google / dictionary

can you guys share what you do as a cadet? how many people in your firm? where is it located? = ICAA website

i know the cadetship is mainly for experience but how much do you get paid? = MILLIONZ OF DOLLARZ

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ how helpful of u :p

1. CV is like a resume. I don't know the technical difference between a CV and a resume but neither do 99% of people out there who like me, interchange the two.

2. I audit. I think there's another thousand or so others in the Sydney office.

3. Varies depending on firm but expect 1st year to be approx 30k in Big4.

vinnyboy

HSC
nnp said:
About how many ppl actually get interviews each year....the answer is depends on which divisions you applied for. Because more ppl tend to apply for Assurance/ Audit etc. rather than Tax. But don't worry about that just yet. As long as you have a decent application form, it is very likely that you will secure yourself an interview. I am sure many of you will end up having many interviews to go to (of course, when you apply for more than firm).

About having to bring your trophies. I dont think you have to. just bring yourself and being able to talk about it, that would be enough....the way you talk about it would tell the interviewers whether or not you have actually done them!!! What interviewers look for is that you have reacted well to teamwork environmnet, show leaderships skills....bringing a suitcase of trophies cannot ciommunicate that!

Cheers
NNP
I couldn't agree more with nnp. Doing all those activities will get you an interview as thats how firms start to differentiate the candidates. But what you have learnt from those activities and they way you reacted in the given situation is whats going to get you the job.

Having that folder of certificates and stuff also helps. Just have it with you, and put it on the table. If they decide to look at it great, if not...no big deal.

btw...nnp..which firm are you with???

Jamison

HSC
Hey guys, I've been interested in getting an Accounting Cadetship for a loooooooooong time and I have a few questions:

1. I have signed up for the ICAA night (Victoria) and I was wondering, do they send you tickets or something or do you just get asked at the door what your name is?
2. Around what time of the year do the offers come out?
3. When do you start? Straight away or wait for uni to start?

Thanks so much for your help!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Jamison said:
Hey guys, I've been interested in getting an Accounting Cadetship for a loooooooooong time and I have a few questions:

1. I have signed up for the ICAA night (Victoria) and I was wondering, do they send you tickets or something or do you just get asked at the door what your name is?
2. Around what time of the year do the offers come out?
3. When do you start? Straight away or wait for uni to start?

Thanks so much for your help!
Hi Jamison, sorry but I am from Sydney although my answers may provide some guidance for you.

1. No tickets. You arrive and tell the reception your name and they give you a name tag, and potentially a bag of goodies (make sure you get this if available since it'll have a guide book or something inside on cadetships).

2. Usually July-ish, but this will vary depending on state and the firms. In my experience, the offers usually come out not long after the interviews have completed.

3. Your start date will also vary depending on firm. Some will be at the start of the year, others wait a couple of weeks until uni starts, some will start in 2nd session (i.e. July), and a few even start before the end of the year once you've finished your HSC (equivalent).

Jamison

HSC
Thanks for the help seremify007, I actually have a couple more questions if its not too much trouble :)

1. I've heard of people getting cadetship-like interships at the Big Banks? Is this commonly possible and how do you apply? (I understand if you don't know the answer to this one!)
2. Is it that hard to balance uni and work?

Thanks for your help :)

grandflava

HSC
For those of you set on a big 4 firm i wouldnt rule out the mid tier firms - it really depends on the sort of person you are... i'm finding working in a mid tier firm i get too work on alot of diverse clients and get experience in the other divisions as well as the one i'm in... Good luck

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
grandflava said:
For those of you set on a big 4 firm i wouldnt rule out the mid tier firms - it really depends on the sort of person you are... i'm finding working in a mid tier firm i get too work on alot of diverse clients and get experience in the other divisions as well as the one i'm in... Good luck
I'd absolutely agree on not ruling out mid tier firms, mainly because each firm has a different culture, you don't have to entirely choose a firm because of its reputation (although most will), but you should choose a firm that you think you would fit into well, mainly because in the end you'd be working there for the duration of ur uni.

I would think firms would want that too, usually employers would want to hire people on the basis on how well you will fit into the team, because why would they want to hire someone who is superly smart but doesn't fit well in the team?, which is why they also hire people with lower UAI's with more social activities because it shows to them that when some events do happen at work, you'd at least enjoy your time there.

if anyone wants to know more about business services or insolvency feel free to ask me because i'd also say different divisions does alot of different types of work as well.

Last edited:

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
Jamison said:
Thanks for the help seremify007, I actually have a couple more questions if its not too much trouble :)

1. I've heard of people getting cadetship-like interships at the Big Banks? Is this commonly possible and how do you apply? (I understand if you don't know the answer to this one!)
2. Is it that hard to balance uni and work?

Thanks for your help :)
hmm i might help you with this one.

1. i would say it is commonly possible to have internships at the big banks, that would usually be during the summer vacation for students who are still in uni. It really depends on some firms and you'd need to find out about it on their website.
I wouldnt really say its cadetship-like since a cadetship is more like a work contract whereas internships at the big banks is more short term.

correct me if i am wrong but i'd think people working as a cadet in big banks is quite rare unless you are doing a scholarship program in finance. ( i know unsw has one but it only consists of 5-6 people since the dropout rate is really high).

2. i'd say its hard for some and not hard for others. some people are able to balance it because they're just hardworking or their just very ridiculously good at cramming (like me :D), but it also really depends on how many subjects you would plan to do in uni, id say the difficulty of doing 3 subjects as compared to 2 is alot higher.

hope this helps

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Some banks such as BNP Paribas offer cadetships but they work a little differently to Accounting cadetships and are known as "Business cadetships" I believe. I can't give much info as I don't know but check out the other threads on this forum.

Vagabond said:
I can vouch for that.

>.<
I'm 1337 cos I do 4 subjects!...

.... but two of them are half subjects worth 3UOC each :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)