Accounting Cadetship 2008 (1 Viewer)

Lordie

HSC
Vagabond said:
What value do auditors add? How about not having your shares suspended on the ASX?

:p
Heh...Business Assurance isn't Auditing! It's more checking systems businesses/companies have in place, and giving advice on how they can change/improve such things! The auditing is the Financial Assurance side of things!

Business Assurance is more IT based I guess you could say! At least that's what the partner's at PwC were telling me, heh. :p

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Lordie said:
Heh...Business Assurance isn't Auditing! It's more checking systems businesses/companies have in place, and giving advice on how they can change/improve such things! The auditing is the Financial Assurance side of things!

Business Assurance is more IT based I guess you could say! At least that's what the partner's at PwC were telling me, heh. :p
Cool?

Not sure why you directed that towards me but since you have, I'll point out that business assurance in reality is the prelude to financial statement audits whereby IT auditors will assess the information systems of companies, namely their accounting/reporting systems and any other systems that record data that feeds into the financial statements, so that financial assurance auditors can place a level of reliance on the numbers that are spit out of the client's systems. This is known as 'controls' work and is performed as part of the audit comfort cycle.

Whilst places such as PwC now more than ever try to link process/controls improvement to their audit work to differentiate them from their competitors you're still ultimately an auditor.

Edit: This isn't a bad thing. You'll learn a lot.

Last edited:

billbro

HSC
N/A
Lordie said:

Business Assurance is Auditing though, I was talking to a friend who works there just so I could get a better grasp of the role for my interview on Wednesday. Basically, I was told it was predominantly IT Audits, not exactly the same as Financial Assurance but still Audit.

I actually think this is a lot more valuable than statutory/financial audits, so hopefully I can get an offer for a PwC Vac. However, I'm happy to be a box ticker at KPMG if PwC doesn't like me.

Lordie

HSC
Vagabond said:
Cool?

Not sure why you directed that towards me but since you have, I'll point out that business assurance in reality is the prelude to financial statement audits whereby IT auditors will assess the information systems of companies, namely their accounting/reporting systems and any other systems that record data that feeds into the financial statements, so that financial assurance auditors can place a level of reliance on the numbers that are spit out of the client's systems. This is known as 'controls' work and is performed as part of the audit comfort cycle.

Whilst places such as PwC now more than ever try to link process/controls improvement to their audit work to differentiate them from their competitors you're still ultimately an auditor.

Edit: This isn't a bad thing. You'll learn a lot.
Nice nice. See, that's different to what I was told, but I think I'll take your word for it! Heh. Looking forward to it either way. Just glad it's not Tax. *Grin*

Sorry, had to throw another tax attack in there O:)

hodog

HSC
Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone who got cadetships. Very jealous indeed. I was wondering if there were any other queenslanders here that are applying for a cadetship with EY in Brisbane? Applications close September 10th. It's open to first, second and third year uni students too. Maybe due to lack of applicants? I hope so :p

roadcone

HSC
Lordie said:
Nice nice. See, that's different to what I was told, but I think I'll take your word for it! Heh. Looking forward to it either way. Just glad it's not Tax. *Grin*

Sorry, had to throw another tax attack in there O:)
Assuming that your HSC date is correct, I will presume that the sum of your knowledge of the inner workings of an accounting firm's tax practice = zero. Enjoy your green pen for the first 6 months immensely.

Last edited:

Lordie

HSC
roadcone said:
Assuming that your HSC date is correct, I will presume that the sum of your knowledge of the inner workings of an accounting firm's tax practice = zero. Enjoy your green pen for the first 6 months immensely.
I was only kidding, sorry. Don't have anything against tax at all.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
roadcone said:
Lol - you can't take offense to tax generalisations then use an audit cliche as a comeback!

Lordie said:
I was only kidding, sorry. Don't have anything against tax at all.
Yee gad! Where's your backbone lad?

Lordie

HSC
Vagabond said:
Lol - you can't take offense to tax generalisations then use an audit cliche as a comeback!

Yee gad! Where's your backbone lad?
Just thought I'd let them know I wasn't personally attacking them! Because you don't want to mess with tax folk! *Grin*

hodog

HSC
Hey everyone,

I've got EY's recruitment day on Monday and was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Is it pretty relaxed? What are the 2 interviews like? Also are you required to bring a copy of your CV? They didn't ask for it in the email i got. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hodog

HSC
shilinjuju said:
^Was your interview for a cadetship? Coz I thought they finished ages ago?
yeah it was. It was for Brisbane though. Not sure why they do it so late compared to other states.

3li

HSC
N/A
audits mundane imo
corporate finance is slightly betta imo

ameher

HSC
hey guys just thought id tell ya i received a cadetship with coulton isaac and barber accounting for 2009!

marcellinus

HSC
hodog said:
Thanks, got the call up today and got a verbal offer. Stoked. Can't wait to start.
Congrats on your offer! I'm doing a cadetship in Tax in Brisbane with EY. What service line are you in?

hodog

HSC
marcellinus said:
Congrats on your offer! I'm doing a cadetship in Tax in Brisbane with EY. What service line are you in?
Thanks. Congrats to you too. I'll be working in assurance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)