Accounting Cadetship 2008 (1 Viewer)

venom69r

HSC
Hi there,

Im also considering applying for cadetships this year. Is it true that you cant do BCom at USYD because they dont run night sessions or it clashes with your work hours or was i just told the wrong information?

Also, i was wondering how many firms actually offer cadetships in sydney. I haven't considered which sector id like to apply for (like audit and assurance), but apart from the big 4, how many mid tier firms are there that offer cadetships? If someone could please name as many as they know - itd be a huge help.

Is anyone also considering applying for Co-op and BAcc at UTS?

thanks

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
venom69r said:
Im also considering applying for cadetships this year. Is it true that you cant do BCom at USYD because they dont run night sessions or it clashes with your work hours
Yep that's why.

venom69r said:
Also, i was wondering how many firms actually offer cadetships in sydney. I haven't considered which sector id like to apply for (like audit and assurance), but apart from the big 4, how many mid tier firms are there that offer cadetships? If someone could please name as many as they know - itd be a huge help.
Well, if you attend the Cadetship Evening held by the ICAA, you will get a little booklet that has all this info you want, i.e. how many firms/what divisions/how many they expect to take etc etc.
But just to sate your curiosity, Mid- Tiers include: BDO, Pitcher Partners, Grant Thornton, PKF, Moore Stephens, Acrru Felsers, Hall Chadwick, RSM Bird Cameron, Nexia Court, Walter Turnbull, HLB Mann Judd...there's probably more..

Good luck!

c0okies

HSC
venom69r said:
Hi there,

Im also considering applying for cadetships this year. Is it true that you cant do BCom at USYD because they dont run night sessions or it clashes with your work hours or was i just told the wrong information?

thanks
Nope, apparently you CAN do night classes at usyd, i know a fellow cadet who does so but you will need to call up the faculty and enquire about it

don't assume

iamfergo

HSC
Hey im thinkin bout applyin to one of the big 4.

i meet all the criteria (like good in a team situation and confident and stuff) but was wondering because i didnt do business or economics (because i chose physics cos it clashed with them and i wanted to be a pilot but hav shit eyes lol) whether it'll hav an adverse affect on my chances.
on all their websites they dnt really mention specific subjects and im plannin to do a BBus (Acc) so was wonderin if anyone knew???

presumably i could learn the required knowledge at uni???

venom69r

HSC
iamfergo said:
Hey im thinkin bout applyin to one of the big 4.

i meet all the criteria (like good in a team situation and confident and stuff) but was wondering because i didnt do business or economics (because i chose physics cos it clashed with them and i wanted to be a pilot but hav shit eyes lol) whether it'll hav an adverse affect on my chances.
on all their websites they dnt really mention specific subjects and im plannin to do a BBus (Acc) so was wonderin if anyone knew???

presumably i could learn the required knowledge at uni???
I don't suppose that not doing biz stud or eco is gonna leave you in the red. As long as you meet their criteria, and do well in the application and interview process, you should be right. The only issue at hand is that they want to see that you are actually interested and motivated for your chosen profession (ie. accounting or commerce in general). So having done business studies and economics shows a degree of interest.

Hope i was helpful.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Doing my cadetship I had more trouble understanding financial securities, treasury etc. rather than anything accounting/economics related.

A general interest in the business world is always an advantage.

You'll be fine if you have this as you'll enjoy the insight you'll get on the job and work towards learning etc.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
business or economics is not a prerequsite for doing commerce or for the big 4 to accept you. they don't care if you do business or economics really lol. as long as you've got the skills they want and the marks.

in reply to vagabond, couldn't agree more. experience isn't something you can buy

meagan354

HSC
Re: Accounting Cadetships 2008

I was just wondering what type of questions they will be asking in the interviews for the big 4 and all the other companies too?

And what type of clothes are you supposed to wear (hahaha) .. like is it really formal, do they expect you to wear suits? or just smart casual?

meagan354

HSC
leoyh said:
business or economics is not a prerequsite for doing commerce or for the big 4 to accept you. they don't care if you do business or economics really lol. as long as you've got the skills they want and the marks.

in reply to vagabond, couldn't agree more. experience isn't something you can buy
are you enjoying the cadetship at the moment? because i have another friend who dropped out after a couple of weeks because he did not enjoy it at all .. but some of my other friends are enjoying it heaps! and which of the big 4 would you recommend (even though i will be trying for all 4 lol)

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
meagan354 said:
are you enjoying the cadetship at the moment? because i have another friend who dropped out after a couple of weeks because he did not enjoy it at all .. but some of my other friends are enjoying it heaps! and which of the big 4 would you recommend (even though i will be trying for all 4 lol)
His HSC is in 2008 - he's not a cadet. One thing they look for in potential cadets is attention to detail.

EDIT: Oh and also to answer your other question, you should wear business attire to the interviews (suit).

Questions they ask are "What would you do if..." or "Tell me about a time..." In these situations, answer the question by taking an example from what you have done in your extra curricular activites. Just be relaxed, yourself and honest.

Last edited:

iamfergo

HSC
thanx for the insight.

i do hav an interest in the business world and stuff so hopefully if they ask any questions bout it i can just bullshit my way through (im good at bullshittin) lol
does anybody kno appox. how many go for these and how many actually get them?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
LOL yeah i'm not a cadet but i'm aspiring to be one.

and btw, are you allowed to drop out of the cadetship a few weeks after it starts? i thought it was like a contract thing. i thought only the employer could fire you if you havent reached your probation period yet, but you werent allowed to quit.

any insight?

and in reply to iamfergo, i think approximately 500 go for this? and whereas for how many are taken, it depends on the size of the firm and the demand for the workers. i think the average for the big 4 is like 60 cadets, but thats across all divisions, not just the one that you're itnerested in

but in my opinion, much easier than fighting for a graduate job with the 7000 or so other applicants

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Well last year, they had about 1000 people come to the cadetship evening as opposed to 200 or so the year before (well that's what the people said at the time :p). So it might be similar this year.

Yes you are allowed to drop out...but I think you may have to give notice like a week before? I know people who have dropped out after just a few weeks.

Only1United

HSC
Re: Accounting Cadetships 2008

meagan354 said:
I was just wondering what type of questions they will be asking in the interviews for the big 4 and all the other companies too?

And what type of clothes are you supposed to wear (hahaha) .. like is it really formal, do they expect you to wear suits? or just smart casual?
During the application process the first step you will have to do is answer some questions over the internet. Its important to remember the answers as they do ask some very similar questions during the actual one-on-one interview...so my tip is to print off the questions+answers to make sure your consistent with your answers. The questions are quite generic like:
* Why do you want to join this company?
* What Extra-curricular activities do you do? activities?
* What you will bring to the company?
* Ambitions/goals?
* Where have you shown leadership?

As for clothing, yes it is formal so a suit is the way to go. I cant stress to you enough how important presentation is. A first impression can be ever lasting so you dont want to rock up like a bum...with your shirt untucked and hair messy. Good Luck

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
I really want a Cadetship for 2009, but am really scared that i wont get it.

I want to get it so BAD!

leoyh

mic`
HSC
same with me michael! i want it really badly too. it'll be such a great way to start your career

lol and just a random note, my name's michael too and i'm born in 1990=P

Only1United

HSC
michael1990 said:
I really want a Cadetship for 2009, but am really scared that i wont get it.

I want to get it so BAD!
Its good too see people really eager to get a cadetship but don't depend on it because iv seen people who havnt got one and its not a pretty picture to say the least. I remember i was shitting myself before my interview and when you look around at all the applicants you soon realise you have to bring your competitive game to the table or your gone. Be confident and realise that your in the same boat as everyone else...and if there is anyone acting all cocky tell them they are a D1ckhead (irrespective of sex...we dont discriminate)...i did lol.

my goodness micheal 1990 and leoyh remind me of myself.
I really hope you get one. Good luck

Last edited:

Only1United

HSC
leoyh said:
same with me michael! i want it really badly too. it'll be such a great way to start your career

micheal 1990 and leoyh...seperated at birth:uhoh:

michael1990

HSC
leoyh said:

HA HA HA WE BAD ARSES!

lets hope we get the cadetships

does anyone know how many are offered?

i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get one, a fantastic way to start and even end your career, there are so many avenues after that can be looked at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)