Accounting Firm Interview Questions (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Hey everyone...

Does anyone know any firms which post out actual questions they ask? links are appreciated.

Also, those who been to accounting job interviews. Can you give me a run down on what questions you encountered and how did you approach/answer them.

Good advice is grateful :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think job interviews are pretty standardized q's... the whole strengths/weaknesses, how to deal with certain characters, etc... the bit which is really hard to prepare for (and I think that's the intention) would be the group ones. Like I've said in other posts, they can range from really random to.. even more random. My favourite would have to be the "build a tower from straws".

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
hahaha... now thats random!

Was that q from a Big 4er interviewer ? :p

turtleface

HSC
A favourite for audit is "tell me when you've had to deal with someone difficult"

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL I always assumed that question applied to pretty much any job involving other people!
This isn't from my experience, but I remember hearing people talk about the "Deadline vs. Family funeral" (ie. priorities) question. How horrible!

AppleXY said:
hahaha... now thats random!

Was that q from a Big 4er interviewer ? :p
Nah, the straw tower was a BDO question :) The Big4 ones I think are even more... interesting.

volition

arr.
HSC
turtleface said:
A favourite for audit is "tell me when you've had to deal with someone difficult"
so how would you answer that question?

turtleface

HSC
i made up some lame bs, about like customers at safeway (woolworths)

I don't think it was a very convincing answer, but I think I managed to do well on the other stuff

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
seremify007 said:
This isn't from my experience, but I remember hearing people talk about the "Deadline vs. Family funeral" (ie. priorities) question. How horrible!
ouch... thats harsh I wud have to be honest and pick family funeral, anybody who says deadline is, well sad.

turtleface

HSC
I forgot where I heard it from, but its a true story:

A guy was interviewing with a top Investment Bank's IBD, and was going well, and the interviewer (a HR lady) was about to let him through the stage.

They got to one of the last questions about work/life balance and the HR lady's like going on about work life balance at company x, but the guy then says: "BS work life balance!, you have bags under your eyes and you're just the HR person. I'd hate to see what the real Bankers are like."

I don't think he got through in the end, but I'd hire someone who has common sense and an anti-BS shield like that guy.

Sif work/life balance in an Investment Bank's IBD. :rofl:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm guessing that person in the interview was pretty switched on... . It really strikes me that he'd make comments along those lines. But then again, you never know with some people.

Anyway, work/life balance is all very subjective and can vary substantially from firm to firm, from division to division.

I know someone who worked 9-8ish in IBD during an internship. He got weekends off. On two (?) of the days he was told to go home at 5pm. Another friend of mine worked 8:30am-1am, Monday to Sunday during his internship in IBD.

Both of these accounts aren't hearsays from a friend of a friend who heard about some guy from his brother's generation, about 5 years ago.

My view is whether you have a life in IBD depends on which firm you're at (UBS in Sydney or ABN in Melbourne?), what area you're in (M&A or maybe some DCM job where you issue the same bonds again?), what team you're in (infrastructure or financial sector?).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
You may be surprised, but those in audit, during busy season and depending on the client, may work hours such as 8:45am-Midnight for a couple of days to a couple of weeks. (A couple of colleagues in my division have had the displeasure of such nights)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Every division has it's busy season... just some are deeper than others *cough*FS*cough*!

On a sidenote... I had to help out with some IB audits... and man... let's just say Auditing looks alot more enjoyable :D

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Minai said:
You may be surprised, but those in audit, during busy season and depending on the client, may work hours such as 8:45am-Midnight for a couple of days to a couple of weeks. (A couple of colleagues in my division have had the displeasure of such nights)
Yea... I was going to say something along those lines, but I wasn't sure. And I heard that by the time a firm (e.g. EY) is sponsoring you through CA, you would expect your fair share of work hours and personal commitment to studying.

SaintMichael

HSC
N/A
dont they ask about accounting question? like the industry in general and stuff like that? why asking something that are irrelevant.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Omnidragon said:
Yea... I was going to say something along those lines, but I wasn't sure. And I heard that by the time a firm (e.g. EY) is sponsoring you through CA, you would expect your fair share of work hours and personal commitment to studying.
Yeah...all the Senior Accountants go through absolute hell during busy season, as they are working late almost every night, and if they have time when they get home, they have to study - or else leave study to the weekend...not looking forward to that.

I've already been informed that the client I'm working for in January will require 12 hour days for 3 weeks due to it being a US listed firm with tight deadlines.. :(

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
SaintMichael said:
dont they ask about accounting question? like the industry in general and stuff like that? why asking something that are irrelevant.
My thought is that it's not a quiz... it should be up to the interviewee to also show that they're interested in the profession. On another note, the stuff you learn in uni is pointless.

shonkay

HSC
SaintMichael said:
at the pwc interview, they asked us about issues in the accounting industry...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)