Accounting Info for Managers (1 Viewer)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
Has anyone done this unit? if so how difficult was it, what was the level of maths involved, eg. was there alot of calculations and formulas that you had to know or remember..etc..

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
This unit is ok, its really boring - if your not into accounting - so its easy to be distracted and not do the work. But if you do the work, like anything you can get through it. For the topic tests (I think theres 2) just make sure you know the formulas and when to use them. It is just a basic accounting subject, your not expected to know anything about accounting or anything but to understand from a managers perspective what the accountants are talking about and to do that you need to know a few things. Kinda like learning book keeping but without the programs that do the calculations for you.

HSC
Appreciate the opinion pussy_cat - looking over some of the lecture notes it looks like alot of the basics we learnt in Business Studies.

@Led-Zep - Know if tutes are on tomorrow?

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
hotshot, dunno i dont do the unit yet, i got it next semester..so i was keen on finding out its difficulty as i hate accounting but it is a core unit so i gotta do it

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
hey natstar, so what would u say of someone who like urself hates maths, coming from general maths? pass? i dunno i do truelly hate accounting, but this is a core

pussy_cat

Hyper
HSC
I think everyone hated that subject - i just didnt want to say anything, was putting it as 'boring', I actually failed the whole way, right to the end and then with the final exam worth 50% somehow managed a distinction!! Maybe cuz I actually ended up reading the text the week before the exam, hoping to scrape a pass...:)

klh

HSC
err....i liked it [eeerie silence...]
Its not that bad, i mean there is alot of jargon that you must get used to befor eyou can really solve all those problems but its a much meo easier unit than ARD thats for sure [form what i heard]. E.g. like how to label what money is an asset, liabilty, owners equity; than its ratios [like liquidity and ROI] than be able to do reconciliations and then liek management accounting which is like brteak even points and stuff; its very basic maths adn equations. If you are good at equations and can substitute and turn formuals around, and learn all teh jargon, youre set. ALso if you do Management adn DEcision making, there is a mathematical compononent [i dunno if its still in teh unit] whic is really hlepful for the management accounting part in AIM.

I would say Im just like Pussy_Cat in that i stuffed up my assessments during hte semester [becoz the jarogn and the lecturere was unbelievably inept at teaching] btu the tutor was good [a tafe teacher so he's got practical experience] and i crammed in th elast few weeks [i dont reccomend it] but it made sense finally and i sat the exam wihtout a doubt.
I would say the first few intro weeks you have got to read and understand the concepts so in further weeks youll get it or youll be lost. Boring it can be [seemingly to alot of people!] but if you get it, youll feel proud of yourself for knowing it. good luck!

Last edited:
HSC
Doing the subject now as well, so far it isn't too bad but the next exam will be make or break! Got alot of articles for the group assignment, just finding it hard to relate as they are too accouting general. How are you guys going with it?

smiless

HSC
hi, i was having trouble with some questions..for this unit...from the tutorial q's can anyonehelp me

klh

HSC
if you can post them up, ill try to help...im not doing it now but i like accounting and did ok in it. wha ttopis and the question please?

smiless

HSC
hi, this is question is in the topic accounting for and presentation of liabilities and Owners equity.

Transaction analysis- various accounts. Enter the following column headings across the top of a sheet of paper.

Transaction/ Current Assets Current liabilities non current and net profit
Adjustment Liabiltiies

* enter the transaction or adjustment and indicate whether its an addition or subtration

A) land taxes of $2400, applicable to the current period but not yet accrued.
d) Analysis of the company's income taxes indicates that taxes currently payable are $76000 and that the deffered tax liability should be increased by $21,000.

Im not sure, how your meant to know what coloums to use, and how to know whether its a subtration or addition...sorry i know this might be a dumb question...

Thanks .

klh

HSC
uh oh...

hmm it seems ive forgotten most of it...

wouldnt A and B be current liablities?

well you have to categorise it bascially, and i think you might know that already.
as for plus or minus, if you have a liability say $100 and you have an extra $100 to pay, than you would add to liability, so 100 + 100. Than you would need to see if it balances with assets and stuff...

god, i havent touched that since first year [was my only accg subject].
sorry for the late reply..i hope this was some help, or at least your tutor was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)