Accounting major - sustainable business or finance? (1 Viewer)

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone. I've applied to change degrees from education (as I had a TERRIBLE prac experience and realised teaching was not for me!) to accounting.

After reading through all the info, I have narrowed down my options to do Bach Commerce (majoring in accounting) but would like to choose a second major, between sustainable business or Finance. Some of the info seems to think that sustainable business suits accounting, though I'm not 100% sure on why. Could anyone help me to understand which one would be better for me as far as future employability? Since this sustainable business thing is quite new I'm not sure on how exactly it relates to employability as an accountant.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Australia is a bit behind the rest of the world on sustainability and triple bottom line accounting. Unless you're a consultant of some form trying to help businesses change/etc, I highly doubt in the short term at least, it'll change your employment prospects significantly at least for any role outside of the consultancy style roles. That being said it'd be good background knowledge to have and would give you a unique insight or perspective relative to the stock standard accounting finance graduates... but that being said, accounting finance is a popular combination for good reason. A lot of the key concepts overlap and the two have elements which are intrinsically linked.

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
Thanks for that info :) By the time I'm finished my degree (part time) I'll more than likely be in my early 40s, so perhaps I don't need to worry so much about the sustainability side of things. In saying that, I've read a little bit about it, and it does look quite interesting. I've still got a while before I need to choose a major, so might do some more reading/research into it, and find out whether or not its something worthwhile. I am really only doing uni to do something for myself, so it might as well be something enjoyable!

crazy_paki123

HSC
you could do business law as your other/sub major? i hear accounting and business law go quite well

Shokujo

HSC
N/A
Don't think I could handle doing law as a major - would be fine for 1 or two units, but not an entire major.. I think I'd get bored!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't think I could handle doing law as a major - would be fine for 1 or two units, but not an entire major.. I think I'd get bored!
Admittedly business law is extremely watered down- e.g. case summaries are available, you only need a few quotes (i.e. don't need to read entire judgements), problem scenarios are very much built like existing cases, etc... but that being said, it's a complimentary major as opposed to one which will genuinely improve your employability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)