accounting/marketing or accounting/finance or finance/marketing? (1 Viewer)

yma

HSC
currently Im so confused what to do under my commerce degree..

originally i chose accounting/marketing but after a few days at usyd i am not sure about my choices

a lot of people say accounting major can lead to many doors in business opening so thats why i think i want to study it. but some other people say its hella boring

finance, i found almost everyone i met at uni doing commerce is studying it.. it feels weird only me is not doing it.. also the lecturer said i can make big money from it. i know only if i do it well. but it involes a lot of complex maths, right? i am good at maths and can be very good at it if i put effort into it but i dont enjoy studying it at all.

marketing, it is thought be a less stressful, more creative major. i think ill definetely enjoy studying this because i really like the brainstorming, creativity stuff. is marketing mainly about delivering advertisement? the job outcome is what concerns me as i am an introvert and am not a very "people" person. will my ability to interact with others improve through my degree studying this? thus the chance of getting a wellpaid job is high or low?

so guise..accounting/marketing, accounting/finance, or finance/marketing, which one do you think would suit me best?

many thanks

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey mate. First, let me just say that it's good that you're already thinking about these things, that puts you ahead of alot of your peers. Ceteris paribus, accounting/finance has the best employment prospects. However, there is no point doing it if you don't enjoy it and hence do badly in it. Ultimately, there are decent prospects under most majors provided you do well in them AND get some good work experience. The best advice I can give you is to do what you enjoy and therefore get good marks in.

also the lecturer said i can make big money from it.
Only if you are the very very best...

will my ability to interact with others improve through my degree studying this?
If you put yourself out there it will.

Good luck.

Reactions: yma

yma

HSC
p.s. if im doing finance/accounting, i will need to complete 2 programs cpa and cfa to make the most out of my degree.. then that will be too much for me, right?
p.p.s. i also heard a lot of people saying how fun finance is... so is it possible for me to do some finance units to try out? will i not have enough credits for my 2 majors?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You can always do more subjects- just means it'll take longer to finish and it'll cost you more money. From memory though some of the introductory finance subjects are required for other post grad qualifications so that should give you some idea. Depending on university, you may get more choices in finance in terms of which area you want to focus on (i.e. quantitative/maths vs. qualitative/theoretical content).

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I suggest don't get influenced too much about what other think, clearly you mingle with friends who all think finance is the bomb and accounting is boring - which to be fair is also my opinion about finance but not accounting. Even though it's a good idea to think of all this, take into account for your first year you'll do introductory courses across most majors (all majors you want to know about - finance, accounting,marketing etc.) and instead just see how this flows with you. One thing to note you can still make heaps of money from marketing and accounting - not just finance, the fact is the finance market is quite competitive (compared to accounting - accounting itself isn't a walk in the park either) and unless you demonstrate passion for it, it might be hard to convince your employers to hire you (though if you get good marks etc...you'll have a shot).

You also don't need to complete both the CPA/CA and CFA program if you end up doing accounting and finance - you'll only get a job in either which might require one but not the other, they teach you different things for different jobs.

And also to note about you being an introvert - with any job you'll need to speak and mingle with people, it's not just marketing - for finance you might be constantly speaking to potential clients or fellow colleagues, and this is the same with accounting - the best thing to do is break out of that mould and trying to find a job that would fit you as an "introvert" and instead develop your people/speaking skills with others - uni is particularly a great place to start especially when you first start university - introduce yourself to someone and have a chat - this will give you practice for interviews indirectly - or better yet join a club and mingle with people sharing similar interests, all this will go a long way to potential employers as communication is key in almost all jobs across commerce. (and any job really)

enoilgam

HSC
marketing, it is thought be a less stressful, more creative major. i think ill definetely enjoy studying this because i really like the brainstorming, creativity stuff. is marketing mainly about delivering advertisement?
Advertising is only one aspect of marketing - on the whole, marketing is all about how the product is presented and sold on the market.

Also, as you have just started uni, keep an open mind and try the different subjects before deciding on a major.

And also to note about you being an introvert - with any job you'll need to speak and mingle with people, it's not just marketing - for finance you might be constantly speaking to potential clients or fellow colleagues, and this is the same with accounting - the best thing to do is break out of that mould and trying to find a job that would fit you as an "introvert" and instead develop your people/speaking skills with others - uni is particularly a great place to start especially when you first start university - introduce yourself to someone and have a chat - this will give you practice for interviews indirectly - or better yet join a club and mingle with people sharing similar interests, all this will go a long way to potential employers as communication is key in almost all jobs across commerce. (and any job really)
Definitely true - it doesnt matter what career you do, good communication and interpersonal skills are not optional extras.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely true - it doesnt matter what career you do, good communication and interpersonal skills are not optional extras.
Indeed. At graduate career opportunity level, a degree or major is just a given and rarely a point of differentiation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)