Accounting Vacation Internships - 2009/10 (1 Viewer)

John0

HSC
Not sure when it starts exactly, afterall i havent actually recieved an offer. Most of them would start in december or early Jan though.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Im doing the Deloitte Development program with Deloitte atm, definitely recommend it to any first yrs reading this. But it was the same application process regardless if we were in that program.

I just checked the closing dates for Deloitte, they closed earlier on the 22nd in Melbourne, which adds up with what you said. I thought that was abit unfair starting the recruiting process while they're still taking apps, cant exactly complain to them about it though lol.

KPMG pay is real good, ill let you know how it compares with Deloitte and EY.
Im guessing you start in DEC?
Is the selection process for the Development program very competitive? What kind of things do you think they look for?

paperpromises

HSC
The PwC application process was pretty simple from what I recall (definitely shorter than the vac work apps process!) but then and again I didn't get through the online app phase so I don't know what happened after that :p

Congrats on the Deloitte group interview invite La Divina! :) They called on a Saturday, wow...!

John0

HSC
In a way the development program is competitive since they only look at your Resume/cover letter and the overall application, there is no interview for it. If you can present a application that has a strong resume/cover letter you should be fine. They look for decent academic results, employment and invovlement in extracircular activities.

John0

HSC
La Divina, have you heard anything from KPMG? every other firm has gotten back to me except KPMG...

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Nope, I haven't heard back from any of the Big 4, just Deloitte so far. But as I said, I applied just before the closing times. I don't really know if they will ever get back to me :p

John0

HSC
At the very least I'd expect a reject email if I didn’t get through. Same thing is happening with my friend though, hasn’t heard anything from some of the firms.

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
When did you apply? I would give them some time after the closing date so they can sort through the applicants. Considering that Deloitte staff were calling on the weekend, there must be a lot of people applying, KPMG would be no different.

Do you know anyone who has heard back from them?

John0

HSC
For KPMG I applied pretty close to the closing date, all the others I applied mid march. Considering that we have interviews starting this week, i think ther cutting it pretty close if they are going to invite us. In the KPMG email they said it would take 5 business days to reply, so they should call tomorrow or atleast send an email.

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Well I applied around 3 hours before the closing time.
We will find out soon enough :p
At the very least you have two interviews already so you can afford KPMG not calling you back, though of course it would be great if they did!
I remember for my cadetship interview with them, they called a long time after a lot of other people I knew who had been contacted. I don't know how different internships would be

John0

HSC
I must admit i am quite happy with atleast two interviews, but it would be good to know the result with KPMG. Ive got alot of assessments at uni atm, so its a nightmare just working everything around just for these interviews plus work commitments. I imagine you would be in the same position though...

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Yeah I am in a similar position. I have the full day interview on a univeristy day where I have three tutorials and a lecture. It's on my most packed day :/
I do hope they get back to us by tomorrow, it saves having to think about it all the time :S

paperpromises

HSC
I dunno, if you applied near the closing date (you said March 31 IIRC?) it's really only been around a week since they received your app, so I don't think it's unreasonable for them not to have contacted you yet. PwC and EY both took over two weeks to get back to me after I applied, and I sent my apps in mid-March when it wasn't the busy period yet! But yeah at the end of the day I think comparing these things against each other for different firms (or even for different applicants within the same firm!) doesn't work out coz it's dependent on so many different factors!! Although comparisons certainly keep you from having to think about the decision they make when they do call! xD

Waiting is the worst part though. I have a friend who did the AC for EY on Friday and they still haven't called him back yet. That'd be terrible!

babygetshaky

HSC
Heya first time posting on this site
wondering if anyone has heard back from Deloitte?? (in perth pref) I sent in my app about 2-3 weeks ago, got an 'yes we received your app' then nothing else! From KPMG got 'invite to testing' did the testing did a lot better than i had beforehand, but have not heard anything back (i actually feel like i didnt do the tests (i.e. submit) even though I know 100% that i did (if that makes sense)). Got a position at EY - pretty much over the moon about that!! happiest day of my life so far (sad i know) haha.. tried to do the apps for PWC but they have closed even though there is 'no closing dates' (bull). So think i will just need to wait for the 2nd tier positions.

anyone else in a similar boat...?

i was totally surprised about position at EY thought i screwed up testing, just passed, then at interview my answers were all over the shop, saw that i got a 4/5 for one question and then just asked a heap load of questions at the end (the interviewer thought all my questions were relating to the salary (which they werent) & kept explaining to be that you have to earn a good salary (which i know, i would work at EY for peanuts if possible) & then i just said some stupid stuff at group interview then got call next day saying i got position then next businesss day contract in the mail (took exactly 1 week from putting app in to getting position) - that is pretty quick

i know this is incredibly long but just a little excited to comment on this site

thanks for reading

comments??

(i dont really know how to use the site, sorry)

congrats to everyone else who got positions - and those who didnt its not the end of the world - i plan to do soe volunteer work to pad the resume in time for grad jobs (fingers crossed):)

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Wow! Congrats on the offer and welcome to BOS :)

Deloitte have made all calls for first round interviews for their Sydney office. I haven't heard back from any of the other Big4 though. You need to give them time after their closing date to sort through applications and get back to people.

EY can also straight away offer you a graduate position after your internship if you are good enough, no application or anything necessary. This may not be the case in Perth, I don't know...

Good luck!

paperpromises

HSC
Oooh! Congrats on EY babygetshaky! I have heard nothing but good things about them, heh. What division are you in? And that's really really quick - only one week between putting in your app and getting the position? Whoa. Out of curiosity, when's the deadline for you to sign your contract? I heard that EY gives you a couple of months to decide whether you want to accept their offer or not...?

babygetshaky

HSC
thanks all
we have 2 weeks to sign the contract
it is really confusing so need someone else to read it before i send away,
the whole process at EY was really good, everyone was incredibly friendly, especially the interviewer!! really hope i get offered a grad position from the vac, but they have only 10 or so spots per division, so i will have to be on my best behaviour...

Huy

HSC
N/A
they have only 10 or so spots per division
Where did you hear this?

10 grad positions offered to vaccies per division sounds like a lot.

They don't take on many vaccies firmwide to begin with.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks all
we have 2 weeks to sign the contract
it is really confusing so need someone else to read it before i send away,
the whole process at EY was really good, everyone was incredibly friendly, especially the interviewer!! really hope i get offered a grad position from the vac, but they have only 10 or so spots per division, so i will have to be on my best behaviour...
Congratulations!
What service line will you be working in?

I know here in Sydney things are tight and they are rolling back the number of spots for vaccies and 2010 grads in Assurance (i.e. rightsizing the intake)

rayman88

HSC
Hi all,

It is very interesting hearing from fellow aspirants of the accounting world. Congratulations to all who've received offer(s)!!!!!

Just a quick question: how long does it take for the firm to officially make an offer after the final partner interview? I did my partner interview last wed (8/04/09), but I haven't heard anything since then. I was told I would receive an offer via email during the group assessments. This is Deloittes assurance in Sydney - Parramatta btw. Could it be that I'm an eager beaver because I did the interview a day or two before the easter holiday?It is strange because I was called back 1 hour after my group assessment for a final partner interview. If this is a trend, should I be worried?

I have not heard from KPMG at all other than doing the online assessment last week. Are they really slow?

EY - declined/understandable after I completed my application 15 min before deadline.

PWC - online assessment but declined afterwards.

My general feeling, is thus, KPMG is inundated with applications or either very slow.

Your thoughts????

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)