• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

accounting work? (1 Viewer)

klh

HSC
i just want to ask what is the most popular and i gues the most in demand job in accounting?
like would it be a tax accountant, auditor, accountant etc???
also it would be good to list all the types of accounting jobs out there if its possible.
im just figuring out whether which accounting major i should do.\
thanks in advanced.

klh

HSC
1..cna we sorta get back to the topic???
2. i major in management but doing enough subjects to fullfill only a sub major in acct, i am thinking of doing a postgrad course later on :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Does UWS have a careers website? You can check the employment statistics there. I'm not sure, but it seems there are more jobs for financial accountants. However, you'd be best to talk to a careers representative at uni that could give you real stats on where accounting grads actually go, so you could make your decision there.

klh

HSC
ahhh...good idea! ill try to find out when i go back. Thanks very much Minai!!!

treason

HSC
klh said:
i just want to ask what is the most popular and i gues the most in demand job in accounting?
like would it be a tax accountant, auditor, accountant etc???
also it would be good to list all the types of accounting jobs out there if its possible.
im just figuring out whether which accounting major i should do.\
thanks in advanced.
Most popular are the non-audit jobs, eg advisory, risk management etc

Most in-demand are auditors because of the stringent reporting requirements faced in the current business environment, think SOX. But the real reason why auditing is such an in-demand field is becuase the work is notoriously boring and consequently the very high attrition rate.

Tax ranks as second most boring after auditing.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Accountants versed in the new IAS will be in demand, since as of this year, Australia has adopted the international accounting standards, some of which is the same, but some of which is completely different. (Lucky we're still in uni learning the new standards_

klh

HSC
thanks treason, i forgot to ask minai if he could elaborate...
why is it boring? well..i like accounting either way so maybe thats why i think it sint boring.
are all uni's teaching the new standards?
ill be doing acct units next year anyway, but doesnt hurt to know.

treason

HSC
klh said:
thanks treason, i forgot to ask minai if he could elaborate...
why is it boring? well..i like accounting either way so maybe thats why i think it sint boring.
are all uni's teaching the new standards?
ill be doing acct units next year anyway, but doesnt hurt to know.
Get an internship at a top 4 doing audit. Shouldnt be too hard. Then you'll see what audit is really like. Audit is completely different to what you learn at uni. The stuff you learn at uni is actually quite fun, and even I find it interesting.

Imagine sitting in a little room all day long, with you laptop and a mountain of paper (invoices, receipts, etc) flicking back and forth between papers, sighting specific numbers on documents then checking it off on your check list when you see it.

To put it in terms which you can relate to, audit is like checking someone's accounting assignment, the numbers etc to make sure they all add up.

I did the transaction testing phase for a futures brokerage, all I can say is, if you like mundane work go for it.

I will say this however, the most interesting part about auditing is the fact that you get to learn about the numbers behind various industries, and if you ask the right question, how the industry works. It's good exprience, but it's definitely not something i want to be doing for more than a year or so.

klh

HSC
ohhhh....well youve shed alot of light onto it for me.
ofcourse can it lead to a better position, e.g. management?
haha, im gonna tell my firend about auditing then. She wants/likes to be an auditor...how is she going to handle the news.
i wouldnt mind that job if i could get it now, what do you mean its not too hard? the interview or requirements are easy or becasue there is less poepel in auditing?

thanks folr the info mate!

epsilon

HSC
These internships with the Big 4, are they easy to get? What do you do actually? Glorified office boys and girls? :p Do they improve your job prospects as an accountant in the future? Do you get paid?

On an unrelated note, I only became interested in accounting last year. I'm gonna start my B. Business, majoring in accounting and finance at UTS this year. From what I've gathered, like someone else said before, auditing is REALLY in demand right now, but yeap, who knows what the demand will be after 3 years from now? Apart from that, there are also management accountants, systems accountants (dunno what this is), etc. But I think the coolest type of accountants would be insolvency accountants. The poor guy's business has gone down the drain, and they turn up, sell everything he has ever built, and pocket their fees in the end to rub salt into his wounds :p

theone123

blue essence
HSC
internships i think is Vacation Work at the big4.
its not very easy to get, they accept about approx. 70 people every year for each company.
They put you with a mentor and really do professional services with clients.
Of course it will upgrade your job prospects, but it is very competitive to get in, only the top students are able to get in.
and you do get paid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)