Accuracy and validity (1 Viewer)

leesh95

HSC
Does failing to follow an experimental procedure correctly affect validity or accuracy?

Rawf

HSC
Validity depends on the method used to perform an experiment, whereas the accuracy depends on the equipment used.
So basically, yeah as said above it can affect both. Performing it incorrectly will affect validity, accuracy may also be affected as you might be using incorrect equipment etc etc.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Validity depends on the method used to perform an experiment, whereas the accuracy depends on the equipment used.
So basically, yeah as said above it can affect both. Performing it incorrectly will affect validity, accuracy may also be affected as you might be using incorrect equipment etc etc.
I do not fully agree here. Accuracy is about how close the result is to the true result if it was performed in ideal conditions.

An invalid experiment will have inaccurate results, either way - no matter how good the equipment is used. Even though equipment will affect accuracy, it is not the only factor.

Rawf

HSC
I do not fully agree here. Accuracy is about how close the result is to the true result if it was performed in ideal conditions.

An invalid experiment will have inaccurate results, either way - no matter how good the equipment is used. Even though equipment will affect accuracy, it is not the only factor.
Ahh yes, I guess that makes sense. My tutor just told me to talk about equipment when it comes down to accuracy though because it's the easiest point to state and it's easier to distinguish between validity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)