acetic and citric (1 Viewer)

xprshn

bum...
HSC
N/A
what about me?
it isn't fair... i've had enough now i want my share..
can't you see...

sub

ummm, xprshn...wrong thread...there;s one for lyrics...lyrics game i do believe its called.

lucyinthehole

did you talk about them separate;y? cos i kinda said "citirc and acetic are both used for preservation and taste" and expanded. so i combined them.

xprshn

bum...
HSC
N/A
Roflz.. Nah jsut felt like chucking a random. ...
Blardy chem...it was alrite..BUT Pd was a Hoe.. x 3

Jonno H

Ok, just to make things clear, acetic acid is to vinegar as urea is to urine. These are the things you learn when you watch TV during HSC exam time. It's always a good idea to watch the ABC the day before an exam. If you had have yesterday you would have seen a facinating program on the origins of chemistry. What I meant before is that acetic acid (ethanoic acid) when dissolved in water is indeed vinegar, a preservative and flavourer. Just incase you wanted to know, urea was the first organic compound artificially manufactured. What that has to do with vinegar, I'm not sure.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i'm so glad last night wheni was reading my notes i read over this

last night i was like, wtf this dpoint actually existed?

xeriphic

SpoRTsGaL said:
acetic is ethanoic acid

i put that they are used to preserve the foods so that they would last longer and kill bacteria and some crap like that.

it seemed to be a very foreign exam.

Funny thing is, i studied for it. I'm sure the ones who didn't study and thought would get 50% got screwed over for that opportunity too.
Tennille said:
acetic acid and citric acid are used as food acids to make the food have a sharper taste. Citric acid can be used as an antioxidant, preventing the oxidation of food. microbes cannot withstand an acidic envronment, hence, these acids act as a preservative.
these two basically sums up what I wrote too

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
hmm well i just put that bacteria can survive in a limited pH range..and therefore acids can be added as food preservatives because they change the pH of their environment and thus kill the bacteria and extend shelf life blah blah

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
i put vinegar is used in salad dressings to add taste.........full marks for sure!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)