Achieving 90+ without doing extension? (1 Viewer)

P

psychokitten

Hello I was just wondering if any of you guys could give me advice about achieving 90+ without doing extension maths, english, etc. I have not seen many people on this forum that got a UAI of 90+ that havent done atleast one extension (although I didnt have a really good look). hase anyone? please let me know What kind of marks would I have to score to achieve this. thankyou in advance im such a noob.

subjects I do

standard eng
mathematics
physics
business studies
biology

Loz_metalhead

HSC
It's definitely possible. Don't expect to get a band 6 in standard english though...unless you're REALLY good at it. Last year only 3 people got a band 6 :bomb:

Loz_metalhead

HSC
It was around 3 people...maybe less.

I think it's much easier to get a band 5-6 in general math compared to standard english...

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
100% DEFINITELY you can achieve 90+... u can achieve a UAI of 98 99 if you were that good.. a girl at my school... her averaged lowest mark in year 12 is i think 92 and her highest is 99... every other subject is in between there... she had absolutely blitzed the internal assessments.. but she's worked very veyr very hard to achieve it.. she's well on her way in gettin a UAI of at least 98 cuz she will blitz the HSC too... but anyone can achieve 90+ without doing extension...

be aware when ppl do get there UAI that aren't doing extension subjects that get ovr 90... you will see :)

A l

HSC
N/A
Correction: Last year, FIVE students scored a band 6 in English (Standard).

It is certainly possible to obtain a high UAI without taking any extension courses. In fact, it is possible even if you took English (Standard) and General Mathematics together.
NB: The examples I used below are based on the assumption that these students did not take an extension course for the HSC and/or did not have any extension courses counted in their UAI.
Last year, Biljana Caceska of Kingsgrove High School scored 99.65 for her UAI and scored band 6 in all of the following HSC courses:
- Ancient History
- Business Studies
- English (Standard)
- Legal Studies
- General Mathematics

Last year, Amelia Joy Thompson from James Ruse Agricultural High School scored 100.00 for her UAI and scored top 5 state rankings in all of the following courses:
- Biology
- Chemistry
- English (Advanced)
- Mathematics
- Comparative Literature - Distinction course
- Cosmology - Distinction course (2004)

Basically, if you can at least score high band 5 to band 6 in most of your courses, you can achieve more than 95 for your UAI.

mchase

HSC
Mr. Sabuncuoglu, it is impossible to get 98.99, UAI goes up 0.05 at a time. also, its not THAT hard to get over 90. especially with the subjects your doing. just work consistantly and you will be fine. and remember that extension subjects (except 4U maths) only count for 1 unit, so by not doing them you are saving yourself a lot of work for only half the points (I do ext 1 maths so how can i talk).

volition

arr.
HSC
I think if you do 4unit maths your 3unit counts for two and your 4unit counts for two and your 2unit doesn't count at all... So that's somethin

aristos

shorty p
HSC
mchase said:
its not THAT hard to get over 90. .
dude r u stupid? as if its soooooo easy to score a UAI of over 90!!! if it was everyone would be topping the state!!!! i guess we'll have to wait n see...

lala2

Banned
HSC
Also, one girl from 2002 achieved a UAI of 100 without any extensions--I think she did English Advanced, 2U Maths, Biology, Legal Studies and PDHPE.

mchase

HSC
I didnt say it was sooo easy you kook, i said it isnt that hard if you can apply yourself. And if your smart enough to do subjects like physics and mathamatics and take the HSC seriously, then there is a fair chance you can get over 90. And unless you didnt know, the top 7200 students in the state get over 90 (36 get 90.00, 36 get 90.05 ect ect. up until 100, a score only 18 people acheive). so if your in the top 7200 students doing the hsc, then you WILL get over 90. And remember with the neww HSC, all students who have dropped out, even after yr 10, their UAI's are also estimated and they are included in the final calculation.

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
mchase said:
Mr. Sabuncuoglu, it is impossible to get 98.99, UAI goes up 0.05 at a time. also, its not THAT hard to get over 90. especially with the subjects your doing. just work consistantly and you will be fine. and remember that extension subjects (except 4U maths) only count for 1 unit, so by not doing them you are saving yourself a lot of work for only half the points (I do ext 1 maths so how can i talk).

i didnt mean 98.99.... there is a space there and no fullstop to indicate the 98.99 if u look up to my original post you will see that... but yes i am aware that they go up by 0.5 increments... thankyou :)

lala2

Banned
HSC
The duxes of Standard English for both 2004 and 2005 got UAIs of 99+. Yes, you're saying "dux", but remember that their Standard English mark would only have been about 91-92 max. So no, it's not impossible to get a UAI of 90. 99, I'd say it's hard, but there's a big gap between 90 and 99.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
of course you can. trust me, doing extension subjects is nooo guarantee - despite sam telling me 91, im probably looking at 80's and i do ext eng... so yeah anyone can achieve it and really no combination of subjects is going to give you much of an advantage either way.

just dont hold out hope for a band 6 in standard eng. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)