Achieving distinctions at uni (1 Viewer)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
To study-freak: 3 of my subjects were maths for all of which I got b/w 60-65. The others were biology and chemistry which I got 70 and 68 respectively.
I see, you're better at more memory-based subjects than at maths.

By any chance, could you be relying on your memory for maths as well in that case? (method learning rather than understanding) I mean, ofc you need to remember some stuff, but things like maths esp need thorough understanding of the main concepts to do well in/solve previously unseen (hard) problems. If you have been focussing on tutorial questions in your maths studies till now, I'd recommend you to put a stronger emphasis on re-reading lecture notes and understanding where everything stems from. If the opposite, then trying more (difficult) questions won't be harmful.

For memory based subjects like bio and chem, going through many problems doesn't help as much unless they recycle questions. Trying 1 or 2 pastpaper(s) should suffice to see the exam format and get exposed to common exam style questions. So focus on again, re-reading lecture slides/notes you've written (hopefully you do have a master set of note, whether it be simply lecture slides or handwritten/typed notes of yours - for pure bio subs, you might need info from textbook so it'll be a bit harder, but things like chem, biochem, etc usually have awesome lecture slides that you can add small bits to in lectures to make good master notes). When you read them again, don't assume that you know anything and read every single line carefully and make sure everything makes sense. You could try to recall them without seeing your notes.

Hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)