acidic syllabus point (1 Viewer)

Vaishali

HSC
chemistry exam on 5th... plz help as soon as possible.
i am totally confused..:confused: .. what the hell do we write for the following dot point??
qualitatively describe the effect of buffers with reference to a specific example in a natural system.
the excel chemistry book has lots of information but i cant understand what to write and what not to..
plz help if u CAN.:)

Nodice

HSC
Chill man, who even knows if it'll come up in your exam!
Basically, all you need to know for this dotpoint is what buffers are, what occurs in buffers reaction wise/equilibrium wise, and talk about one example of this in nature - for instance the human blood system.

In this case, a buffer solution is a solution that contains comparable amounts of a weak acid and its conjugate base and which is therefore able to maintain an aprroximately constant pH even when significant amounts of strong acid or strong base are added to it (def from Conquering Chem).
The equilibrium involved:
HA + H20 <> H30+ + A- where HA is weak acid.

Buffer in nature is the blood - Hydrogen carbonate ions are important in maintaining the pH of human blood at about 7.4.

I highly recommend that you refer to the hsc.csu.edu.au/chemistry website just to get a general direction if you are unsure (although I wouldnt take it for all details).

s2indie

HSC
yeh, you'd only probably need to know what buffers are and do.

for the record; i didn't get asked a question about buffers in my exam.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Basically all you need to know is what a buffer is, how they work, and know at least 1 example of a buffer solution (human system is a good one to use).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)