acommodation interview (1 Viewer)

catgirl

HSC
i hv an interview for the Baxter College in the late Novemeber.Do you all know wt types of clothes should i dress and also wt type of questions they will probably ask?Thanks for your help!!

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
If you don't mind me adding to the list of questions. I also have an interview for Baxter, do we go to the housing office or the college building itself?

Last edited:

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
i had a phone interview for shalom on friday..they pretty much just asked questions relating to stuff written on the application form..it was pretty casual..and they offered me a place straight away which is pretty good!

i dunno wat u guys should wear..just something dressy casual i spose..

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
As a current Baxter resident and a person who had interview last year, i wore a collared, button up shirt, tie and long black pants. Seemed to work so i guess that is one place to start.
You need to go to the housing office located at Basser college and then say you have an interview for Baxter college, which will most probably with Lisa Sutherland.

saves.the.day

HSC
Had interviews at both New College and Basser college (TKC interview will apply to Goldstein and Baxter) and I got accepted to both colleges.

Basser:
Asked questions regarding the application form as well as general questions about where I was from and why I wanted to live on college.

After living in Basser for some time I learnt that they just want to know that you wont be completely anti-social. They try to weed this out as much as possible as they are very community oriented. Talk about outside interests as well as your work ethic. and how you're able to mix the two.

New College:
Asked me what I could bring to the college community, when have I worked in a team, what do I do in my spare time and for fun and asked me questions on how I express myself.

I spoke about my band (team work and spare time), and I talked about song writting and improvisation with music for my answer on how I express myself. You could probably say you keep a journal or online blog or something.

They were really interested in how I could contribute to the community as in sports-wise, acacademically or musically.

The main question I was asked was "Why did you choose New College?". This is the one where most time was spent.

Both interviews were on the same day. I just wore pants and a button up shirt.

Good luck.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
New college is more swish than Baxter. I know one person in New and one in Baxter. New is Nicer.

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
Baxter definately has way more fun - massive social budget and activities (you get a social calendar every week with stuff on every night), and a lot less study if that suits you... You can actually drink in college unlike New. One of my mates at New said they are turning it into a studious college, much to his disliking.

By the way, the uni has finally decided to renovate the kensington colleges and that is happening this summer.

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
americanabroad said:
I also was offered a place at Shalom after having a phone interview (note: I am coming from the US as a study abroad student)
Babygoose: Are you planning on accepting your offer from Shalom? What do you know about the college? I have heard that it is quieter then New or the Kensington Colleges, but beyond that (and the kosher food aspect) I am sort of clueless.

I dont really know that much about it either as I havent even gone and seen the college yet. By the way the guy was talking during the interview, its sounds like a much more academic college than the others, making it quieter than the other. But, i have a friend that lives in New and he said that pretty much any college is good to live on as they all have a pretty good social life etc..sorry i cant be of much help..

Are you goin to accept your place or not? I think i'm goin to accept it anyway, just incase i dont get into any of the others.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
babygoose! said:
a week.....no where near long enough to decide..
A week? Damn that sucks. Although I'm not really fussed where I go. Looks like I'm not gonna end up at shalom, I called them this afternoon, they basically told me to piss off coz I had them as second preference. LOL. I feel like an idiot. New is way more affordable to me though, so nothing lost I guess.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
catgirl said:
i hv an interview for the Baxter College in the late Novemeber.Do you all know wt types of clothes should i dress and also wt type of questions they will probably ask?Thanks for your help!!
I'll be straight with you, if Baxter is privately run and you're attractive wear as little as possible - that is if Baxter is like nearly every other private college on nearly every campus in Australia.

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
neo_o said:
I'll be straight with you, if Baxter is privately run and you're attractive wear as little as possible - that is if Baxter is like nearly every other private college on nearly every campus in Australia.
Hah, Baxter is one of the three University owned colleges... But that will still work i'm sure.

americanabroad said:
Yes, I think I will be living in Shalom. I prefer a more academic environment so Shalom should be a good for fit (and hopefully the college is not totally dead)
Shalom is probably the nicest looking college on campus, havent been inside though. It would definately be one of the academic colleges, as i know people from pretty much every college but there. Definately not for the sporting type either as they struggle to field a team in most intercollege sports.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Eeep! I got an offer for Baxter... talk about fast! Now I have to decide if it's worth risking denying the place here in the hope of receiving a place at New or Warrane... or potentially wasting $1500... argh! decisions...

spindivision

HSC
i've just had tours / interviews at Shalom, Basser, and Warrane, and I can say that Warrane was by far the nicest looking. Rooms were bright, college as a whole was very clean, just the overall feel of everything was excellent. Basser was quite the opposite, I found it dirty looking and overall didn't look like somewhere I would enjoy staying. Shalom was okay I guess, still nothing to compare with Warrane. I dunno if it was just me, but shalom had a kinda stale smell about it :S I got an offer for Warrane via email the very next day and they said they'll send me out all the papers and info in the mail. Will definitely be going to Warrane if I decide UNSW is for me.

hope that helps, just my personal experiences with the colleges.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Warrane put me on a waiting list, I dunno if that means I got denied or not.

grimreaper

HSC
spindivision said:
i've just had tours / interviews at Shalom, Basser, and Warrane, and I can say that Warrane was by far the nicest looking. Rooms were bright, college as a whole was very clean, just the overall feel of everything was excellent. Basser was quite the opposite, I found it dirty looking and overall didn't look like somewhere I would enjoy staying. Shalom was okay I guess, still nothing to compare with Warrane. I dunno if it was just me, but shalom had a kinda stale smell about it :S I got an offer for Warrane via email the very next day and they said they'll send me out all the papers and info in the mail. Will definitely be going to Warrane if I decide UNSW is for me.

hope that helps, just my personal experiences with the colleges.
I'm surprised you feel that way about the colleges... I'm biased as i lived at basser this year but although its not nice and new like warrane, basser does have a nice, open feel about it (plus the rooms have sinks :p). The kenso colleges are getting renovations over the summer, but I'm not sure whats being done to basser.

Dumsum said:
Warrane put me on a waiting list, I dunno if that means I got denied or not.
Thats odd... from what i heard warrane struggles to fill up its places. A guy I know applied maybe a month and a half to a month before uni started and still got a place.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Hmm. I remember they told me in the interview they wait until HSC results come out and then make offers... but then we have spindivision up there with HSC05 and getting an offer already... strange.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
neo_o said:
hm my college isn't owned by the uni - and that wouldn't go for ours... although it is run by the catholic church - so that probably has something to do with it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)