ACT Same-Sex Marriage Act in the High Court (1 Viewer)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: ACT Same-Sex Marriage Bill in the High Court

I dislike gays, not because they are gay, because they are wasting valuable news time with their petty issues.

Just do your court thing and keep it to yourself, the news is for important things like parrots that do math, and dogs that ride surfboards.
wut.

Realistically speaking though, it isn't something that's hugely important. It's a social/moral issue that affects a minority of the population with symbolic rather than economic/practical effects. Speaking from a rights perspective, not much really changes since same-sex relationships do legally have the same rights as a married couple. The issue is more of a recognition and acknowledgement of their relationship and equality that qualitatively contributes to standard of living/well-being. It'll contribute to society in a different way than if the Government were to use the same time to discuss things like international agreements, education funding, etc that would affect the country, not just a minority. It really shouldn't take this long to get it over and done with.
I agree that it isn't as important as many other issues but it is probably even more reason to just get it over and done with - quick and easy so we can start thinking about the more important questions.

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

I agree that it isn't as important as many other issues but it is probably even more reason to just get it over and done with - quick and easy so we can start thinking about the more important questions.
Yeah exactly! It shouldn't take this long to reach what is inevitable.

newcastle2012

HSC

lol so gay marriage isn't a social issue?
Gay Marriage is a social issue but the good that will come out of it if addressed is far outweighed by by other social issues such as domestic violence. In terms of separation of church and state they are separated but with one thing in between them society. If religion influences society and society influences laws then you get religious influence of laws for example polygamous relationships. In terms of Australia the majority belief is christianity it may have it's different denominations but it is unified under the one umbrella for the most part. In terms of Hyde vs Hyde its definition was only re affirmed and reinforced in the Marriage act (ammendment) 2004 so it is indeed quite valid today.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
If the gays wanna screw themselves, why do they need a law :p, do we want all of society screwing each other like gays in the future.

Sorry if it sounds like I have something against them, but it feels kinda unnatural (just the way I have been brought up..)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Gay Marriage is a social issue but the good that will come out of it if addressed is far outweighed by by other social issues such as domestic violence. In terms of separation of church and state they are separated but with one thing in between them society. If religion influences society and society influences laws then you get religious influence of laws for example polygamous relationships. In terms of Australia the majority belief is christianity it may have it's different denominations but it is unified under the one umbrella for the most part. In terms of Hyde vs Hyde its definition was only re affirmed and reinforced in the Marriage act (ammendment) 2004 so it is indeed quite valid today.
That is correct but my point wasn't questioning its validity, just that it no longer reflects the majority belief in society.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC

I for 1 am voting yes 4 polygamy

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

If the gays wanna screw themselves, why do they need a law :p, do we want all of society screwing each other like gays in the future.

Sorry if it sounds like I have something against them, but it feels kinda unnatural (just the way I have been brought up..)
Pretty sure that applies in the opposite direction too - if straight people wanna screw themselves, why do you need marriage?

And no, it's not unnatural - it's ironically more natural than marriage.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC

Actually the basis of both occur in nature so both are natural however homo-ness tend to occur more in dumber animals while monogamy occurs in smart animals like penguins.

This does not reflect my views on homosexuality it is simply a statement of what I believe is a fact.

Actually I lied bonobos r smart and their philosophy is have orgies not war so I guess there is something we can learn from nature.

Last edited:

gwilymprice

HSC

Yeah exactly! It shouldn't take this long to reach what is inevitable.
Yeah exactly, it will eventually happen, like you say, that is what frustrates me a lot

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

Yeah because domestic violence isn't illegal. Apples and oranges. If we had apartheid in Australia, you'd see the same people go "oh there's more important issues."

newcastle2012

HSC

So you call a system fixed when children are in abusive households and when an ADVO is taken out against the person they shoot their spouse dead on the steps of a court? More people need to be educated on domestic violence to prevent future instances unless you are for domestic violence?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

So you call a system fixed when children are in abusive households and when an ADVO is taken out against the person they shoot their spouse dead on the steps of a court? More people need to be educated on domestic violence to prevent future instances unless you are for domestic violence?
It's a separate issue when people are getting away with domestic abuse like back in the day when it was acceptable to slap a woman or hit your kids. man do you love red herrings.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

y'all need to check your motherfuckin white privilege

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

lol when high court over rulled it

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

not much of a lol, just more of a "kthxbai, no surprises"
I didn't mean it like that. I mean that like people have been fighting for so long and then the high court is like "naaaaa, dw bout it"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)