action research (1 Viewer)

steffo

steph
HSC
is anybody doing/has done/thinking of doing action research for their PIP?
i'm just wondering the process everyone is doing. i have looked for stuff online about proper action research, but i think its a broad term used for other things too. so it was no help.
just want to know anyone who has completed action research or has any tips on doing it properly. i have an idea but im not sure if its totally spot on.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
steffo said:
just want to know anyone who has completed action research or has any tips on doing it properly. i have an idea but im not sure if its totally spot on.
Firstly, in order to help you out, we need to know your PIP topic. Without your topic, we cannot judge on whether you are conducting the appropriate methodology at all, as different methology is suited to different purposes, for different outcomes.

Secondly, be certain that you know EXACTLY what 'Action Research' is referring to before you try to attempt it. 'Action Research', defined by the Board of Studies, is an informal, qualitative, interpretive, reflective and experimental methodology that requires all the participants to be collaborateive researchers. Action research is carried out by people who usually recognise a problem or limitation in thier workplace situation and, together, devise a plan to counteract the problem, implement the plan, observe what happens, reflect on these outcomes, revise the plan, implement it, reflect, revise and so on. Action research can be thought of as a spiral of planning, acting, observing and reflecting, occuring through time until the most desirable outcomes for all participants are achieved.

steffo, if you are basing your PIP on solving or counteracting a proposed problem, and your participants are also researching information for your PIP to achieve a common goal, Action Research would be appropriate for your PIP methodology.

steffo

steph
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Firstly, in order to help you out, we need to know your PIP topic. Without your topic, we cannot judge on whether you are conducting the appropriate methodology at all, as different methology is suited to different purposes, for different outcomes.

Secondly, be certain that you know EXACTLY what 'Action Research' is referring to before you try to attempt it. 'Action Research', defined by the Board of Studies, is an informal, qualitative, interpretive, reflective and experimental methodology that requires all the participants to be collaborateive researchers. Action research is carried out by people who usually recognise a problem or limitation in thier workplace situation and, together, devise a plan to counteract the problem, implement the plan, observe what happens, reflect on these outcomes, revise the plan, implement it, reflect, revise and so on. Action research can be thought of as a spiral of planning, acting, observing and reflecting, occuring through time until the most desirable outcomes for all participants are achieved.

steffo, if you are basing your PIP on solving or counteracting a proposed problem, and your participants are also researching information for your PIP to achieve a common goal, Action Research would be appropriate for your PIP methodology.
okay well that sounds more complex than my teacher explained.

my topic is about youth leaders, and whether they really count/make a difference/havea true effect as agents of change.
i was going to use my school student rep council or environmental group to put together an action plan to make a change within the school.
it could be for example, to put in a new recycling program, have water tanks added to the school, or to put in a youth forum in the school and have student voices counted within higher bodies or executive bodies within the school (that normally dont contain student voices).

i havent decided yet whether i definately want to do this as a methodology, and ym PIP definately wont fall apart if i dont do this methodology, but i thought it could be an intresting one to use for my topic. seeing as im investigating whether we CAN make change.

what do you reckon?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Since you have identified your problem at your school, and is willingly to design a plan to take action for what you belive in, action research sounds reasonable. You also need your participants to help you out also, whether be your student council, or teachers, or even your local council, they need to make a contribution to your methodology. If action research is conducted correctly, you will have an outstanding PIP, since I haven't seem anything like this before. Just make sure you are continuing reviewing your progress to see whether you are successful in your program, for example, a plan to improve recycling at your school. Moderate your approach to see if action has been taken, if not, change your strategy, and try again until you are successful, whcih would be, making the school to install water tanks, or buy more rubbish bins, hmm, new approach to separate waste bins and recycling bins in classrooms, as well as successfully organise an active enviromental group at your school.

The success or failure will be heavily reflected on how you moderate this PIP methodogy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)