Actual Meaning of the UAI (1 Viewer)

elitus

HSC
N/A
I've heard some people say the UAI is a percentile-.i.e if you got a 90.00 UAI, you would have beaten exactly 10% of the state. Is this true?

According to one source- 10 000 students scored a UAI of 90+ out of a total of
65 000 students. So I'm confused.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
The UAI is the percentile you would have achieved had everyone from your yr 10 cohort also gone through and receivied a UAI. To allow for those that didn't go through, a conversion graph for yr 12 percentile to yr 10 percentile is created according to the performance of the yr 10 group as a whole in the School Certificate, compared with the yr 12 group's performance in the same School Certificate.

The TER, when it existed, was just a yr 12 percentile.

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
This report on the 2004 HSC should explain anything and everything that you would want to know. If you are interested it's here.

http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc-report-2004.pdf

"Specifically, a UAI indicates the position of a student relative to their Year 10 cohort. That is, a UAI of 80.00 indicates that students with that UAI have performed well enough in the HSC to place them 20% from the top of their Year 10 cohort, had all the Year 10 students completed Year 12 and been eligible for a UAI"

reprise

Just out of interest, if you don't get your HSC (and therefore your UAI) two years after you completed year 10, do they calculate your UAI using the performance of your actual year 10 cohort (which may have completed year 10 3 or even 4 years previously) or the people who completed year 10 two years prior to the year in which you got your HSC.

It's not important, I'm just curious.

elitus

HSC
N/A
Okay thanks guys. So it's a percentile out the students in your year 10 cohort. Interesting, so my UAI of 92.80 is more like top 15% (depending on the yr 10 drop out stats) of HSC students, as opposed to the top 7.2% which I initially thought.

elitus

HSC
N/A
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2005-Table-A8.pdf

Thanks rench. But the aggregates isn't completely accurate. I got a uai of 92.8 and an aggregate of 413 but the aggregate corresponding to 95 is 404.1

But the logical explanation was that I screwed up Adv English (73). wich drarg meh doun big tyme

elitus

HSC
N/A
Aggregate = Total of the HSC results for your best 10 units.

Percentile = The percentage of students you beat (in this case, your year 10 cohort).

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
elitus said:

Thanks rench. But the aggregates isn't completely accurate. I got a uai of 92.8 and an aggregate of 413 but the aggregate corresponding to 95 is 404.1
What's shown is the aggregate of SCALED marks. The marks you received yesterday are your ALIGNED HSC marks. UAC determine scaled marks from your raw marks, and we never find out our scaled marks.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
elitus said:

But the logical explanation was that I screwed up Adv English (73). wich drarg meh doun big tyme
Just to reinforce what Dumsum said:

The marks you received yesterday were aligned marks. The marks used in the calculation of the UAI, however, are scaled marks and what you see in Table A8 are the scaled aggregates corresponding to each UAI.

Table A3 lists some of the aligned marks for each subject and their corresponding scaled mark at certain percentile cut-offs. Nevertheless, there is no direct relationship between aligned marks and scaled marks. You can check out Table A3 @ http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2005-Table-A3.pdf

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
elitus said:
Aggregate = Total of the HSC results for your best 10 units.
no, its the total of the scaled results of your best 10 units. you can't just add up the HSC results u receive on Friday.

and btw rench, congratz on the 99.95UAI, shame u couldn't get 100, but it's still good!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
EATAPIE said:
no, its the total of the scaled results of your best 10 units. you can't just add up the HSC results u receive on Friday.

and btw rench, congratz on the 99.95UAI, shame u couldn't get 100, but it's still good!
Hehe. Thanks :)
I was ecstatic this morning :D I think I was probably a fair way off the 100 anyway...looking at the stats, I estimated my scaled aggregate to be around 474, but 482.4 was needed for 100 lol

elitus

HSC
N/A
hiphophooray123 said:
um am i the only one that found this statement idiotic?
Everyone makes mistakes, and I've been corrected (if you had bothered reading the other posts). I find your rhetorical question idiotic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)