Actuarial credit points (96) to complete double-degree (1 Viewer)

slix_88

HSC
Hi,

I would just like to ask about the credit point system...

After reading some pink booklet handed to me by Macquarie university on open day, I realised one section which seriously confused (or shocked) me...

"In order to complete a degree, you must earn:
  • At least 68 credit points for B.com in Actuarial Studies
  • At least 96 credit points for a double degree (other than law)"

I then flipped to the outline of all units for each double-degree course, and some of them (such as B App Finance + B Com ActStud) have a total of 97 units. Does this mean if i fail 1 unit (losing a minimum of 3 credit points), i would not receive/qualify for a double-degree? :worried: :worried:

ANOTHER CONCERN:

Does the B.Com - Act + B.Com Accounting (new course) allow for the acquisition of Part II? It says that double-degrees provide exemption from part II or something rather... Please help.

AND ANOTHER:

Oh, and is the new course (with accounting) similar to all the other double-degrees such as Applied Finance, Economics and Science? Do you think it is a good combination with actuarial?

THANK YOU FOR READING THROUGH ALL THIS ^^^ I THINK I HAVE 3 QUESTIONS :haha: SORRY

havy

HSC
1. it means if u do single degree u'll need to hav complete 68 cp, 96 for a double, havn't seen any 97cp degrees
if u fail something, u dont "lose" credit points, u should simply redo the unit again, until u hav "completed" the credit points
at mac uni, one subject contains either 3 or 4 cp, while other unis (eg. UNSW) has 6 or 8cp subjects
2. dont know - check website or ask adviser at uni
3. not really sure, acturial study share some foundation units with finance and economics. there's less connection (common foundation units) between accounting and acst.
but i still think its a good idea, because of acst is either big bucks or no money (harder to find a desirable job), and accg is easy to find a job, but lower starting salary, doing the double degree should provide u the advantage of both.

ps. i was surprised that this is newly introduced, since i know a few ppl already graduated with acst+accg

Last edited:

slix_88

HSC
Hey, thanks for replyin

However, i need more help since the preferences submission closes today.

Bump...

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
credit points
No. if u redo the unit u get the cp provided u dont fail again.
the double degrees are satisfied if u have at least 96 cp, not necessarily exactly 96.

actuarial/accounting & part II
http://www.actuary.mq.edu.au/docs/programs_of_study/2007/2007_Accounting.pdf
the bottom of that document tells u that u can add acst400 and asct401 to ur 4th year but its not compulsory. those two units are part II. so i guess its up to u

double degrees
the only similar ones are econ and appfin i think. the others are fairly different and accounting would give you a more financial reporting and looking at the overall business type mindset. do the double that interests you, coz ur ultimately just doing actuarial studies.

hello2004

Does the B.Com - Act + B.Com Accounting (new course) allow for the acquisition of Part II? It says that double-degrees provide exemption from part II or something rather... Please help.
It does, but if you want to get Part II plus all the subjects required for CPA/CA it would probably take you 4.5 years.

Oh, and is the new course (with accounting) similar to all the other double-degrees such as Applied Finance, Economics and Science?
Not really and I'll try to explain why, although this may not make much sense.

Applied-Finance is very easy to get because the actuarial course contains a sh!tload of courses that can count for credit towards an AppFin degree.

The actuarial course also includes by far the two hardest statistics subjects . The end result is that anyone doing an Actuary/Stat degree will find the rest of their course very manageable.

The same kind of applies to Economics but to a lesser extent.

My point is this: The degrees I mentioned above are not hard to get if you are good at actuarial studies as major components of the other course are being covered simultaneously. The same cannot be said for the degrees of Computer Science, Accounting and obviously Law.

Of the above three degrees I believe that accounting is the least valuable if you are looking for a career as an actuary. If you are viewing 'accounting' as a fall back career then I think that's a poor decision. You should just do accounting or accounting/finance instead of slogging your way through actuarial studies.

In short, I do not like the actuary/accounting degree at all. However, you should definitely not take my word as the absolute. Good luck in whatever you do.

HSC
i'm doing acst/accg degree. was thinking about transferring into applied finance/acst.
but talked to professionals who hired and actually are actuarys, asked which would be more valuable in getting a job. and they said CPA.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
but talked to professionals who hired and actually are actuarys, asked which would be more valuable in getting a job. and they said CPA.
Generally in the corporate world CPA/CA will obvioudly be valued more than FIAA since FIAA is a lot more specific. But you're not going to get an acturial role if your aren't a fellow, or close to one.

CloudStrife

HSC
It's likely that 70% of the work you perform in the workplace isn't even taught by a university degree. All the double degress are useful in their own way, so do the course you want and feel comfortable doing.

- Accounting double is going to be useful in nearly any business role. It'll let you understand the financial operations of the business better.
- Finance double gives you a bit more insight and knowledge into financial markets.
- Economics gives you a broader view and understanding of how economies operate and its influences on markets.
- Computing can be very practical since it'll help with computing/modelling work. Particularly useful if you decide to become a quant.
- Statistics double gives you a focus on regression analysis and statiscal modelling.

HSC
back to original question.
youll have to be an absolute geneous to get part 1 and part 2 in 4 years with the double degree with accounting. for the first 3 years you need to get all your exemptions, its pretty much a credit in 3 out of 4 subjects in each semester second and 3rd year. then in the forth year you can add in acst400 and acst401, get credits in them. and then your well ahead of alot of people.
im actually doing that course now, and i think im going to relax my program abit and do it in 5 years. due to the fact that the second year is a struggle lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)