actuarial exemptions (1 Viewer)

ngai

HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
More changes to the exemption. I'll post up the details later ('twas on WebCT). I think they ditched the ACCT2542 for ACCT1501 AND ACCT1511.
yup :D
ACCT2542 replaced by ACCT1501+1511
macro1/2+micro2/1 replaced by simply macro1+micro1

unmentionable

HSC
ngai said:
yup :D
ACCT2542 replaced by ACCT1501+1511
macro1/2+micro2/1 replaced by simply macro1+micro1
yup great news no more annoying accounting

i also have one more question...if i dont make it into honours (which i probably wont :() and since im not going to be doing a 4th year as im not doing a double degree or co-op ... how can i complete part II? Do i enrol as post-grad...do masters?

lawforever

HSC
wish i can go back to 2nd year when i saw this news ....

regarding your question, unmentionable.
Here are some common ways to do part II:

1. do 4001 and 4002 on a non-award basis
2. masters
3. honours
4. co-op
5. Double degree (with science)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Yes, looks like ngai beat me to posting the changes.

Also, if you complete the major in 2006, old rules apply. Completing the major in 2008 means the new rules apply. Those stuck in between, finishing the major in 2007 will get to choose between the old and new rules.

I've checked with Bindya, and so I will be doing one ACTL300x subject next year (instead of this year), so that I will fall into the transition year - and thus get to choose what I can do. If I sit the ACTL300x subject this year, I'll have to do ACCT2542, Micro 2 etc.

But yes, Part II must be studied at Macq, UNSW, ANU or Melbourne. For UNSW, it means completing ACTL4001/4002 or ACTL5100/5200 - it doesn't matter whether it is non-award, honours, or electives in a double degree.

With the actual exemptions, does it really cost $230 per subject? And within 2 years of completing the "course" (or is that program/degree?) Or am I mis-reading something?

Part I Exemption Fee
If a student has been recommended for one or more Part I exemptions from one of the four accredited universities, the student is required to pay to the Institute an exemption fee. From 1 January 2006 the exemption fee will be A$230 per subject which must be paid within two years of completing the course, in order to gain exemption from the Institute Part I subject/s. No exemption fee is payable when a candidate who has passed Part I subjects (101-109 or CT1 - CT8) of the IoA (London) examinations seeks exemption from the corresponding subjects in Part I of the Institute syllabus.

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
lawforever said:
wish i can go back to 2nd year when i saw this news ....

regarding your question, unmentionable.
Here are some common ways to do part II:

1. do 4001 and 4002 on a non-award basis
2. masters
3. honours
4. co-op
5. Double degree (with science)
Options 2-3 require you to be accepted. Option 5 requires foresight from several years ago, and Option 1 is just the best. :p

lawforever

HSC
Harimau said:
Options 2-3 require you to be accepted. Option 5 requires foresight from several years ago, and Option 1 is just the best. :p
but non-award study is expensive.

Krustallosice

HSC
does any know which courses or majors that go well with actuarial studies?

so far i'm planning on majoring in Actuarial Studies, Finance and maybe Mathematics as well

thnx

so.fongy

HSC
Am i able to get the part II exemptions if i do a combined degree of actuary and computer science? Or do i have to do maths or statistics? Thanks

P

pLuvia

so.fongy said:
Am i able to get the part II exemptions if i do a combined degree of actuary and computer science? Or do i have to do maths or statistics? Thanks
Part 2 exemptions are usually studied within the 4th year at uni or after you finish your part 1 exemptions. As along as you are enrolled in the actuarial studies course you can study your part 2 exemptions (given that you pass your part 1 exemptions).

Computer sci,maths and stats are just other majors it has no direct relation to the exemption subjects because the part 2 subjects are under the actuarial studies unit code not the other faculty codes

So yes to your first question and no to the other

so.fongy

HSC
computer science is no longer listed as one of the majors for science on the program guide when i looked up com/sci. Does this mean i cant do actuarial studies and computer science? thanks

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
The list in the thing is LONG expired. Important changes have been made. Contact the school if interested.

schmeichung

HSC
its approx AU$500 (vary due to pound exchange rate) for each attempt if you write the exam externally

I guess you dont have to be a member to write the exam? Better ask the institute becoz SOA doesnt need you to be a member to write the exam

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
so let me just confirm

if i undertake the Commerce (Actuarial Studies) / Science double degree (4 years full time), i gain exemptions from both PART I and PART II???

thx (ie i will become an 'associate' of the Institute of Actuaries in Australia

dvse

HSC
N/A
Pwnage101 said:
anyone can confirm??
It was possible a few years ago. I don't expect it has changed and you can always take the courses non-award.

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
Pwnage101 said:
so let me just confirm

if i undertake the Commerce (Actuarial Studies) / Science double degree (4 years full time), i gain exemptions from both PART I and PART II???

thx (ie i will become an 'associate' of the Institute of Actuaries in Australia
Yes, you can, provided you do the right subjects and get the required marks.

movie hunter

HSC
N/A
hey , in order to become an actuary , u need to past all the 3 parts of the exams ??

i m in the first year , planning to major in act studies and accounting , from the handbook , it says for actuarial major student , we should use math1511 to substitute Econ 1201 in the first sem ... but what if i decide to drop actuarial in the first year, in that case, do i have to repeat econ1201?

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
The good news is that in a few years time, associates will also be allowed to use the title 'Actuary'. That's very good news.

And no, you dont have to repeat ECON1201....I am fairly certain. Don't quote me on it though 'cause im not 100% sure...just 99.95% sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)