actuarial studies at unsw (1 Viewer)

kenkap

HSC
since unsw are introducing a new b actuarial studies does anybody have an idea what the atar cut off will be?? i am expecting an atar of around 95 and i have also received AAA scholarship from school..I hope AAA scholarship applies to this course as it will give me a good advantage..I am expecting high 80's and low 90's in maths extension 2 and maths extension 1 respectively...Is this all enough to get me into the course???? Thanks!!

2xL

HSC
Applies for all courses except medicine and optometry! So you're in luck! :) Congrats on AAA.

kenkap

HSC
Applies for all courses except medicine and optometry! So you're in luck! :) Congrats on AAA.
thanks mate! i needed AAA since my maths teachers were so crap didnt learn shit! i learnt everything by myself and couldnt even afford any tutor! also do they ask for specific amount of marks in 3u and 4u???

2xL

HSC
Nope, as long as you are <5 marks under the cutoff published @ the end of the year, you have a guaranteed place in the course. They do not require any high school results. Say the Cutoff for the course is 96.65, all you need is an atar of > or equal to 91.65.

halapenyo

HSC
i think i heard somewhere cut off is going to be 98.5 or something like that.

which is appropriate given the difficulty of the course.

kenkap

HSC
is this course rewarding? i am talkin abt money..

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL probably but only a handful of grads get into actuarial though

halapenyo

HSC
is this course rewarding? i am talkin abt money..
this course is actually a good thing to have bought in. because you'll know from the outset how hard it is. unlike the current structure where you dont do a proper actl subject till 2nd year.

alexobern

HSC
On the uac centre it simply had tbc as atar requirement, anyone know if EAP bonus points will apply?

DrWho94

HSC
Hey guys just on this actuarial stuff...Couldn't you still go through a Commerce degree and major in Actuarial. If not whats the difference?

HSC
Uni Grad
You can major in actuarial at UNSW ...but like I said I don't know much about it or whats the difference :\
Well actually, not anymore. In fact, they introduced the program to reduce the dropout rate for actuarial.

Not much of a difference, just that you kinda get exposed to actuarial in 1st year 1st sem rather than 1st year 2nd sem.

Peter-PF7

HSC
N/A
what kind of stuff exactly do actuariess do? I was looking into it because i liked maths but i heard its all the shit maths like probability... Would it be a boring career path?

Btw the estimated atar cutoff for this course is 98... so aim for 93-95 with AAA and ull be guaranteed entry :)

HSC
Uni Grad
what kind of stuff exactly do actuariess do? I was looking into it because i liked maths but i heard its all the shit maths like probability... Would it be a boring career path?

Btw the estimated atar cutoff for this course is 98... so aim for 93-95 with AAA and ull be guaranteed entry :)
Work in finance, insurance and risk sectors (that's mainly).

The probability stuff you learn is kinda different to what you have in the HSC; there's more distributions and all that sort of stuff.

TBH it's not that great, and most people here are really only doing it for the money, not because they liked maths (pshht, most of those who liked maths actually went into engineering or a maths degree)

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
Work in finance, insurance and risk sectors (that's mainly).

The probability stuff you learn is kinda different to what you have in the HSC; there's more distributions and all that sort of stuff.

TBH it's not that great, and most people here are really only doing it for the money, not because they liked maths (pshht, most of those who liked maths actually went into engineering or a maths degree)
Awkward moment when i dont like math, but im going for engineering XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)