Actuarial Studies International Recognition-Mac or UNSW (1 Viewer)

phillipli35

HSC
Hey guys,
I just finished yr 12 this year and I am interested in trying out actuarial studies. I have read a no. of posts on actuarial studies on both mac forum and unsw, saying how mac is better at this course, unsw is more flexible when switching courses(and good co-op program) etc.

But what about international recognition? Would there be a difference in choosing one of the 2 uni's? If sumone could help me out cause it "seems" that unsw is more internationally recognised (is more well known as a good uni in general)

(I posted this thread on mac forum as well to get as much replies as possible)

Affinity

HSC
You've missed the coop program (although there might be a small chance to get in 2nd year)

I don't think there's much of a difference between the universities, it comes down to your intelligence, effort and perhaps some luck.
UNSW has an engineering faculty (Mac doesn't) and seems to have a better science faculty, so if you discover that you hate business/commerce at uni (there's a difference better the hating commerce as taught at uni and hating commerce per se) it's a bit more flexible.

Before you start doing actuarial studies, you might want to get a better idea of what it is all about. In retrospect, I would have chosen maths + law. or engineering + Philosophy

Conspirocy

HSC
All I could say is:

1. If you are recognised actuary, then you are a member of their institute/society - and i think thats the "international recognition" you need.

2. I have heard people in the workforce who hire say the quality of actuaries from UNSW is very high.

3. Mac is the place to go, 1st uni in NSW to have it - possibly Australia - the people who teach at the other uni's for example Melb Uni- studied at Mac. Its basically the oldest and most prestigious course

phillipli35

HSC
Thanks for the replies, anyone know the amount of people who drop out from this course in their first yr (and 2nd yr cause sumone said it's alot lot harder), thanks.
(I'm pretty much typing the same replies in both forums lol)

Also, Affinity you said that there is a small chance of getting into the co-op program in 2nd yr, I thought it was only eligible for 1st year students.

Overall thanks for the advices!

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i dropped out. you know one. and club mac is the best place for actuary. the course is easier there too.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
i dropped out. you know one. and club mac is the best place for actuary. the course is easier there too.
Why do you think Macq is easier for actuarial? I heard it was harder.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
velox said:
Macq is harder for actuarial. Look at their marks.
I think the Macq marks policy means that they give fewer Ds and HDs so marks aren't a good way to compare. We need one of their exams.

Affinity

HSC
You can get in 2nd year if they kick someone from first year out due to bad grades

uraleech

HSC
phillipli35 said:
Also, Affinity you said that there is a small chance of getting into the co-op program in 2nd yr, I thought it was only eligible for 1st year students.
As Affinity mentioned above, you can still get in if a current scholar is kicked out due to not making the credit average, or simply decides to leave.

Another possibility is that a new sponsor company may sign-up part-way through your degree, in which case there will be another place available.

phillipli35

HSC
About the co-op program entry for 2nd yr, approximately how many of these places are there each year?

Also, is it true that only a handful of ppl graduate with exemption 2 thing from the IAA in unsw while most ppl who goes to mac with a double degree (eg actuarial+finance) gets the 2nd exemption?

uraleech

HSC
phillipli35 said:
About the co-op program entry for 2nd yr, approximately how many of these places are there each year?
As stated above, it depends on whether current co-ops get kicked out, or new sponsors join the program. Don't count on it - your best chance is getting in as a first year co-op.

phillipli35 said:
Also, is it true that only a handful of ppl graduate with exemption 2 thing from the IAA in unsw while most ppl who goes to mac with a double degree (eg actuarial+finance) gets the 2nd exemption?
Correction:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/136/faculty-commerce/35469/actuarial-exemptions/3.html

Re: actuarial exemptions
wish i can go back to 2nd year when i saw this news ....

regarding your question, unmentionable.
Here are some common ways to do part II:

1. do 4001 and 4002 on a non-award basis
2. masters
3. honours
4. co-op
5. Double degree (with science)

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
flyin' said:
Does this mean that the UNSW students are better than Macquarie students by such a margin?
obviously yes.

Affinity

HSC
phillipli35 said:
You can't compare the two programs since one is 3 years one is four. if you are keen on staying an extra year you can try B.Com/BSc.

ks21

HSC
From my experience so far at UNSW.

S1, 05: 210+ ppl enrolled in Math1151 (1st yr actuarial maths)
S2, 05: 150 ish ppl enrolled in ACTL1001 (1st actuarial subject)
S1, 06: 135 ish ppl enrolled in ACTL2001/2002
S2, 06: 130 ish ppl enrolled in ACTL2003

S1, 07: Max enrolment 110 for ACTL3001/3002

Give or take about 15 to these figures after considering my hazy memory and the fact ppl repeat subjects / start the major later than usual / non actuarial students taking the subject (for eg some finance major students did Math1151 instead of QMA to get a more solid maths foundation)

Hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)