Actuarial Studies - Is it Worth It? (1 Viewer)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
thats right....go for the hairy ones...

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
ooo..the sensual brushings of semi coarse and tangy hair... and the sweet frgrant odor from the lack of shower/bath in the past months... *shivers*

MuSaRuRWa

also remember that actuaries work not only in actuarial (ie insurance) firms. there are actuaries being employed in banking, marketing, software development and a whole lot more ...

ps : u'll find the guest lectures on actl at unsw very useful ... any first yrs reading this?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i had i known there was free pizza i wouldve gone to that uni ><

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
arh free pizza!
reminds me to keep 12pm time slot open
i stupidly put a mirco tut on that time! :(

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by MuSaRuRWa
haha, r u by any chance one of 'em ppl who wait outside the lecture for the free pizza? :p
no I actually attended every single one (cept the last 1 i think).... so i earned every piece of my food/lunch/brunch :D

L

lucky

Originally posted by redslert
LOL i wouldn't blame people if they have an actuarial degree and decide not to go to china...i mean you can work anywhere in the world, why would you choose china

also with four universities pumping out actuaries every year in australia, there are only around 1000 active working actuaries in australia
watch wat u say mate... keke..
china is good man.. good pay... buy slaves and shit !
dumbass ! you'll be filthy rich... and if ur white or some other colour rather than yellow.. u get heaps of pay..

MoNNiE

HSC
yes it is true
do not underestimate the position of china within the world.. if u are a person who can speak mando and english and u go into china youwill earn alot of doe..

Giant Lobster

HSC
The hype surrounding actuarial studies and its salary has some truth in it otherwise it wouldn't exist
Why isnt there similar hype surrounding accounting and finance and other commerce related courses?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Actuarial Studies is much harder to pronounce. That's why.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
even harder to explain. i hate it when people ask what im doing at uni and when i say actuary they say "whats that? never heard of it".

bladenia

HSC
N/A
the stuff from job prospects though is for actuaries mathematicians and statistics. So i wonder if its because mathematicians got shit pay thats why it would drag down acturial studies.

Everywhere else, actuarial studies pay seems to be good, from all the ppl who qualified i talk to. Hyped up perhaps, but actuaries still get good pay......... i hope.

xing

HSC
dudes, I'm a UNSW actuarial student who's had some work experience in the industry. (hehe, if u went to UNSW careers day, I was an advisor on the actuarial desk).

As far as money goes, the salaries for actuaries straight out of uni aren't too high, usually starting at the 40K-50K mark. However, as soon as u become a fellow of the professional body (which usually occurs 2-3 years after graduation), salaries generally double, then continue to climb steadily as you get experience.

ALso, many actuaries are hired in finance. Investment banks generally prefer graduates with actuarial or law background so it would be much easier to get into a high-flying investment bank with an actuarial/finance degree than say, finance/accounting. Oh yeah, wages for actuaries tend to grow at a higher rate too.

So, I guess it's definitely worth it if you like maths and a challenge. The jobs market isn't as strong as the 90's but then again, it's generally been getting harder for everyone, not just actuaries. So, if u are good at what u do, there's no worries at all.

heman

i went to UNSW careers day and went to the actuarial query desk o_O
the guy there sed that out of 100 ppl about 30 or so find jobs
that doesnt sound too good =\

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
People often write "Acturial" and leave out the "a". Anyway, finding jobs is never easy no matter what course you do (except for Medicine, among others).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)