Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
So what's the course like, tough? Should I do a double degree or just a single degree?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,,.....

hazza1424

HSC
I have a friend who is doing actuarial and applied finance at macquarie! but from what he tells me its really tough! although if your a fan of maths then go for it! :)

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
If you guys actually bothered to check the Faculty of Business and Economics subforum, you'd see there's a stickied thread about Actuarial Studies at Macq.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
If you guys actually bothered to check the Faculty of Business and Economics subforum, you'd see there's a stickied thread about Actuarial Studies at Macq.
This ^

I hear that it is tough, but the pay is (apparently) good. There's an active student society for actuarials and they seem to like hanging around each other (generalisation).

Bobbo1 - what are you planning on combining it with?

Bobbo1

HSC
This ^

I hear that it is tough, but the pay is (apparently) good. There's an active student society for actuarials and they seem to like hanging around each other (generalisation).

ok nice, still deciding between actuarial and engineering for me, but im inclining towards actuarial because engineering is apparently slowing down

Bobbo1

HSC
This ^

thanks, idk recommend me? i was thinking applied finance or eco??

yeh and some of the links are broken which is a pain because they look really good

Last edited:

Atlas

HSC
N/A
thanks, idk recommend me? i was thinking applied finance or eco??

yeh and some of the links are broken which is a pain because they look really good
At Mq; you can combine it with applied finance, economics or science. What are you interested in or what sort of industry/job do you want after uni? Applied Finance and Economics would obviously have more in "common" with actuarial studies and wouldn't be difficult if you are good with numbers. The benefit of combining it with the B Science is that there are a lot of majors you can choose so you get to pick subjects that give you a bit of variety and meet people outside of your other degree.

You can get info by clicking the programs here: http://mq-search.funnelback.com/sea...=2012&Search=Search&meta_v_sand=Undergraduate

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry, I can't tell whether you are saying this with sarcasm or not?
i'm serious, doing accg352 this semester. Actuarial do this unit as well, we have group assignment ask this chick in tut wanna make a group but she said she wants to do it with people whos doing actuarial. Of course, this only a single case but from old threads it seem like that way.

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
ok nice, still deciding between actuarial and engineering for me, but im inclining towards actuarial because engineering is apparently slowing down
Not sure why you would want to combine engineering and actuarial, a bit odd to me.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
i'm serious, doing accg352 this semester. Actuarial do this unit as well, we have group assignment ask this chick in tut wanna make a group but she said she wants to do it with people whos doing actuarial. Of course, this only a single case but from old threads it seem like that way.
Fair enough :)

ascentyx

HSC
Imo you should do a double with something that isn't finance (maths, stat, eco etc). A lot of the finance subjects are just watered down versions of the stuff you cover in actuarial studies (investments etc). Actuarial studies is definitely challenging, the first few semesters aren't really that difficult but as you progress in the degree you really have to be dedicated and motivated to keep up with the work.

Bobbo1

HSC
anyone else have any information about this course?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Actuarial studies is more like statistics than maths. If you're just in it for the money then you're pretty retarded because you probably don't even know what it actually involves.

Bobbo1

HSC
well, idk the intricacies of the course but i like my maths and economics so isnt that a justifiable reason? :)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
The maths (stats) in Actuary is pretty shit, boring and dry. The maths in something like engineering is much more enjoyable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)