Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

xa

HSC
N/A
Hi I am year 12 student hoping to get into actuary
However, im currently doing 2U maths..
Is their any possible way that i can still transfer into it after doing an undergraduate or bridging course?

thank you

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
No offence,but sorry to get your hopes down a bit..

Even if you have the atar for actuarial studies, you can definitely get into it, but the concerning part is, can you pass and graduate?

As I know a few people who have achieved E4 in 4u maths, and they still find it difficult and struggle in it.
So if you're just doing 2u maths, you have to work (very, very, veryx10 )hard in order to survive actuarial studies. I'm not sure about bridging courses, but probably it might help if you're passionate about actuarial studies.

Not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just showing you the reality behind actuarial studies...

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. Actuarial studies is HIGHLY maths based. 2U maths won't get you so far.... And you will most likely struggle.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Why was my post deleted?

Anyway you will need Extension 1 minimum any further maths after that is a bonus. Since your compulsory cores will be MATH1151 and MATH1251 during first and second semester respectively you will be learning the following:

MATH1151:

Vectors, linear equations, matrices, probability, exponential function, limits, functions of several variables

MATH1251: Complex numbers, vectors spaces, linear transformations, eigenvectors, integration techniques, ODE, Taylor series, double integrals

When you do the math courses above you will have an algebra component (we just call it that for some reason really we mean linear algebra) and a calculus component. Whilst the algebra component maybe be done without 3U, the calculus component done without 3U is quite a stretch.

In summary if you want to do the course then you will need to take these subjects hence you may want to learn the 3-4U during your summer break

Last edited:

michaeljennings

HSC
I do actuarial studies and heaps of people (about 8) from my school who did 4u dropped out after just a year because the math was too hard. You might wanna take a bridging course or something cos if you go in with only knowledge of 2u youre going to find it incredibly hard

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Is their any possible way that i can still transfer into it after doing an undergraduate or bridging course?

thank you
Bridging course will give you false hope.

Why are you thinking of doing actuary when you are doing only 2U? Even 3U is barely enough.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What is it about Actuarial Studies that interests you?

luvglee4lyfe

HSC
Bridging course will give you false hope.

Why are you thinking of doing actuary when you are doing only 2U? Even 3U is barely enough.
But actuarial studies is all about statistics isn't it? From my year 10 knowledge, statistics isn't that hard.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
But actuarial studies is all about statistics isn't it? From my year 10 knowledge, statistics isn't that hard.
You have no idea. Year 10 knowledge is like the FIRST lecture! Year 10 knowledge does not even come close to uni statistics. If you want, I can show you some formulas involved in stats (mind you, they are only first year /introductory stats).

I'm my mid sem exam, I am expected to know and memorise that formula >> http://www.calcfun.com/calculate-61-hypergeometric-distribution-formula.html

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The statistics you learn in Year 10 is nuthin; mostly Descriptive Statistics. If you think that is what statistics is all about, then your view is based on very elementary knowledge.

I suggest you consult a few text books on Mathematical Statistics.

oompaman

HSC
N/A
Do you guys know where i can have a look what you learn in first year so i can get a better feel for the course? online textbooks etc. ?
Also, is it very different to extension 2 maths?

michaeljennings

HSC
Do you guys know where i can have a look what you learn in first year so i can get a better feel for the course? online textbooks etc. ?
I can send you my notes if you like. I would say its fairly different to extension maths in terms of the content but requires the same sort of critical thinking etc. Its primarily based around probability and statistics

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yes, liking extension 2 mathematics doesn't mean you will like university mathematics. Just tell me what course you are taking and I will hook you up with some things, do you know the subject code?

oompaman

HSC
N/A
I can send you my notes if you like. I would say its fairly different to extension maths in terms of the content but requires the same sort of critical thinking etc. Its primarily based around probability and statistics
Yes please :D, Can i PM you some questions about co-op?

oompaman

HSC
N/A
Yes, liking extension 2 mathematics doesn't mean you will like university mathematics. Just tell me what course you are taking and I will hook you up with some things, do you know the subject code?
Not in Uni yet but looking to do actuarial studies

v1

HSC

thank you
i think getting exemptions after an undergraduate degree is also an option.
why actuary??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)