actuarial studies (1 Viewer)

baby_pea

HSC
does anyone know approximately how many people are there in each uni, doing actuarial studies? esp UNSW is there a limit to how many people pick this major?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
well tehres limits on the nunber of people on any course, tehy want a certain number of people doing hte course, so they admit the top x students who want to do taht course, and the bottom person's uai is known as the cut-off

at mq i think in 1st year we have something like 170 odd actuaries
the number declines as the degree progresses
im not sure bout nsw, but for actuarial, u should consider macquarie, as it has the more reputable actuarial program

if u really cant see urself as an actuary in the years ahead, but just want to try it out and see how you go, i recommend you go to nsw, as u have options if u decide to drop it
otehrwise you should really aim for the macquarie actuarial degree

n.b the only unis that offer actuarial are Melb, NSW,Macq and ANU...i think theres another uni with a n00b actuarial program, but i forget...

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
yeh thats it!! Curtin

baby_pea another good course is what seraphim is doing, BCom/BSc (Finance, Mathematics & Statistics) @ UNSW, he does essentially actuarial work...all associated with risk... he could perhaps move into quant...i think his degree has more options as well, actuarial is limited to an extent...thats y u really need to do a double

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
im pretty sure if u get a D or HD (above a credit) in the equivalent Actuarial subjects at curtin u can get exemptions (although the uni isnt officially accredited by the IAA)

im not studying actuarial subjects. the emphasis isnt on insurance and superannuation applications, its on funds management and project finance work not the operation of a super fund. Quant work is mostly reserved for postgrads and usually only when there is a vacancy (there are limited jobs in Oz) but id like to go for management consulting/IB if possible. Actuarial is more restrictive but its more highly recognised. Yes, finance/maths has a ton of electives so u can do whatever u like. maths and stats are majors in the Science degree and I can plan 2 overload (a little) so I can double major in my Science degree.Usyd also offers a competitive Financial maths major in its Advanced Sci degree which is 5yrs when combined with Commerce. ALtho there is more subjects 2 choose frmo in Usyd with this combo, I think that the closer industry links that UNSW Finance and Maths have with industry mean more industry-aligned subjects which make it the better choice.

unsw doesnt have a quota but it uses 1st yr actuarial subject to drive away crap actuarial ppl (like me :))

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
yeh quant isnt big here...but i dont want to touch quant coz of the programing skills required...i want to go consulting/IB also...hence actuarial/appfin program
if u had to choose a uni for maths/finance, NSW is the way to go, specifically actuarial, MQ is the place to be...

lol how come u think ur a crap actuarial :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I reckon app fin/acst at macquarie is basically splitting the BCom (Actuarial Studies & Finance) at UNSW except it includes the 2x part 2 subjects. So a double degree at Maq is pretty much a normal double major at UNSW :p

CrashOveride

HSC
the double degree at maq really is a double major...even though they say otherwise. but come on, they are both of the same stream (commerce).

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
wtf is concurrent? how bout B Com (actuarial)/ Bsci (Computing)...taht double degree wudnt b a double major over at nsw?!

so at NSW i could have done BCom (Actuarial and Finance)/B Something doiuble degree (which is like 3 things :p) thats crazy shit

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
its a double degree because they are 2 different degrees from 2 different faculties. actuarial and finance are both in the commerce faculty.

u can only get a double major in the double degree cz u cant fit 3 majors (they prereqs for 2 different majors take quite a few credit points). but maths and stats have nearly the same prereqs so its ok.

^___^
HSC
Supra said:
wtf is concurrent? how bout B Com (actuarial)/ Bsci (Computing)...taht double degree wudnt b a double major over at nsw?!

so at NSW i could have done BCom (Actuarial and Finance)/B Something doiuble degree (which is like 3 things :p) thats crazy shit

eh, concurrent degree from the official handout from MQ

students who wish to create their own combination of Bachleor degrees at Mac Uni in a combination which is not an established double degree combination. Such combinations are called concurrent degrees.

well, i'm currently doing B.IT, i might do a B Comm/ B Sci

i guess the advantage is you get to do what ever double you want..like literally

but the downside is

How long will it take to do a concurrent degrees?
It will take at least 5 years of full time study ...

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
ahh k i get it...still it sounds good man, com/sci gives u more options, instead of just IT...its only 2 years extra think of hte career benefits :p

S

Shuter

My B Bus/B Comp is 4 years but the comp is just so boring I'm going to change to strait business.

ONLY DO A DOUBLE DEGREE IF YOU REALLY LOVE STAYING AT UNI UNNESSACERILY LONG!

baby_pea

HSC
yeh, i really don't want to be at uni that long like 6+ yrs
and then come out and and not find a job, resorting to maccas etc
with a massive debt

S

Shuter

baby_pea said:
yeh, i really don't want to be at uni that long like 6+ yrs
and then come out and and not find a job, resorting to maccas etc
with a massive debt
That only really happens to arts graduates.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
haha thats a bit slack...

anyways

mq is the best for actuarial here, everyone knows it. it's internationally recognised as well...

follow supras advice:

if u arent really that keen in actuarial, go for unsw, more options cause u can change ur majors if u feel its not your thing later on...

RIZAL

HSC
:: ryan.cck :: said:
mq is the best for actuarial here, everyone knows it.
yeah...better recognise!

if you can get coop however, go to unsw for actuarial. the work placement they get is pretty invaluable...although we'll all end up working in the end.

baby_pea

HSC
yeh, i'm just worried that i will fail actuarial and hate it so much after going in
or i'll just do really shit in the course
im just trying to work out many people actually make it through the whole process

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)