actuaries??-whats that (1 Viewer)

maniacguy

Originally posted by SoFTuaRiaL
mainacguy: i've always been in doubt reg this. so, at unsw, with just an actl program, u get all of part I excemptions and all of part II with a combined is it?
does this mean that i would get exemptions from I and II?following are the actl subjects i'll be doin as part of my degree
1. microeco
2. macroeco
3. acct 1a & 1b
4. maths 1a & 1b
5. actl studies and commerce
6. financial maths
7. probability and stats for actuaries
8. stochastic models for actuarial apps
9. actuarial stats
10. life insurance & superannuation models
11. micro 2 OR macro 2
12. insurance risk models
13. financial economics for insurance and super
14. business finance
15. corporate finance reporting and analysis

how many exemptions will those give me? I or II?

cheerio
With an ordinary actuarial program, most students would be able to get all 9 of the part I exemptions, and those students doing a combined program or honours would be able to qualify for part II as well, yes (I haven't seen the proposed S.Eng / Commerce program as yet, but see no reason why it should differ in any way).

Your list of subjects would get all 9 of the Part I exemptions (some of the courses your list aren't actually required for an exemption, but are prerequisites if you want to do various exemption subjects).

The part II exemption subjects are ACTL4001 and ACTL4002, which together make up the control cycle. To do those you need permission from the Head of School. Worry about those later, is my advice - you can do them non-award at either UNSW or MQ later if all else fails. It's not a huge deal...

Edit:
Having looked at the program on the CSE website (http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au - go to the Software Eng section) then the requirement that you have a minor in infosys might create some problems in terms of fitting everything into the number of units you have...

Last edited:

SoFTuaRiaL

i spoke to the careers advisor for seng. he rekons that the infs subjects i do as part of my seng degree are suffiecient to get a minor in infs ... we doing seng get "professional electives" where we choose comp/infs subjects. i plan to choose more infs subjects than comp, so its not a problem ....

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I've got better things than to retype my previously made arguments... just look through this thread (the earlier pages) and throughout the MQ forum. :p

maniacguy

Not really. I know chess players better than I am who do worse in actuarial. On the other hand, maybe we could start an annual event to make it 3:
Round 1 : Basketball comp
Round 2 : Soccer comp
Round 3 : Chess comp

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
ROFL! A chess game sounds just fine. :D
Although, the acid test should be Part III. :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
ROFL! A chess game sounds just fine. :D
Although, the acid test should be Part III. :p
Screw that! I'm up for the pop test (ooh I wish we had year eights running around...)

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Argh!! I was considering actuarials before... Now after reading this thread............

Nu-huh!!!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by Dash
Argh!! I was considering actuarials before... Now after reading this thread............

Nu-huh!!!
can i ask what exactly made you change our mind?

just curious :)

is it the people who are doing the course that is scaring you :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It's probably the 8-unit maths :D

Don't forget Jeff Geha is an actuary (excel maths guy)...look at his photo!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Hmm... I didn't remember that detail.

It's not 8-unit Mathematics. It's just alot more work, not necessarily harder. Although I shouldn't say that, because it might backfire.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Accounting... had a very interesting presentation today. Did you know our Uni. career advisor/speaker told us that one of the many exciting accounting job prospects was an 'usher'? It's quite the degree to have, especially if you want to usher.

Btw, Lexi, you should get a prize for attempting to Reply to as many threads as possible.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Attempting to reply... pfft, I just post where I have something to say. :)

And yes, I have plenty to say!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)