• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

acu should be one the uni list (1 Viewer)

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
i want acu to be on the uni list in the main forum page. it should be. it is arguebly sp? a better uni then some on it. so why not put it on the list :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Considering the University of Queensland and the University of Melbourne are both in the top 5 biggest unis in Australia, why do they not have a forum or subforum?

To clarify: They are roughly as big as UNSW, with only USYD being bigger.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
True, but considering that:
*some students are interested in these unis
*no other state, to my knowledge, has a forum for education discussion
*this site does have forums for other states regarding high school
*this site will soon include victoria
*this site is expanding overall

I think it would make sense to add forums for some of the biggest unis in Australia.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Simple answer is, the administrators are not prepared to create a forum if it's just going to be used for spam. And trust me, if only three or four members really want such a section, within three months most of them will be gone and all you'll have left is spam.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Simple answer is, the administrators are not prepared to create a forum if it's just going to be used for spam. And trust me, if only three or four members really want such a section, within three months most of them will be gone and all you'll have left is spam.
The correlation you draw between a new forum and spam is a very shakey one, and furthermore is based on the premise that few people want it and that the amount of people who want it would remain static. Has that ever been the case for an Internet forum? You need only take a look at BoS for an example, or more specifcally any of the other uni subforums where "only 3 or 4 people want(ed) it".

Simple answers rarely suffice.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Kind of like how people are spamming up the Australian Maritime College subforum?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It's more about how many posts each forum gets actually! I mean compare the ACU forum's post with that of UTS, USyd, UNSW, MQ and even CSU and you'll see that these all have a greater percentage of students on this board than ACU. BOS isn't trying to be biased towards uni's, its just about the number of members we have from each of those uni's, and basically the ones on the front are the more popular ones on this board.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Me? No, I'm just pushing for UQ and UniMelb being added to the "Other Forums" section as subfora.

mishka

HSC
N/A
maybe the best thing to do would be to divide the university forum into states.
i.e. subforums called "NSW Unis", "Qld Unis" etc. so that the universities are easily found, and resources easily accessed. it shouldn't be about "how many students occupy the forum," it should be about providing the easiest and logical access to each uni's forum.

just a suggestion. :)

the problem then goes back to ACU, because it has campuses in NSW, ACT and Qld. :rolleyes:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Me? No, I'm just pushing for UQ and UniMelb being added to the "Other Forums" section as subfora.
Oh, well in THAT case you should have just said so! I metioned it over a year ago, but the board has changed a lot since then. Anyway, fire an email off to the admins (or to me, I'll pass it on) and make a proper request stating what you want and why you think it's good.
mishka said:
maybe the best thing to do would be to divide the university forum into states.
i.e. subforums called "NSW Unis", "Qld Unis" etc. so that the universities are easily found, and resources easily accessed. it shouldn't be about "how many students occupy the forum," it should be about providing the easiest and logical access to each uni's forum.

just a suggestion. :)

the problem then goes back to ACU, because it has campuses in NSW, ACT and Qld. :rolleyes:
Same thing here. I think it's a good suggestion, since BoS has a more important role regarding universities than they used to. The reason it's like this now is simply because of the site's history. The admins, and all original members, were HSC 2001 students. When they packed off to uni they needed some new fora to talk about uni stuff, so they went and made a forum for each of the big Sydney universities (since that's where all the members went). As the site has grown, so too have the members and the range of institutions attended. The only thing that hasn't really changed much is the organisation.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh, and foolish me: I was going to say the problem with ACU is easily resolved, by the university itself. ACU is a "national university", and should be grouped as such (along with Notre Dame, though they are also Private).

mishka

HSC
N/A
so, i should send an email/PM to an administrator saying exactly what i just did in my post??

things need to adapt as the site does to make it easier for new members (and new uni students!!) ;)

edit: agreed with your above post! :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
mishka said:
so, i should send an email/PM to an administrator saying exactly what i just did in my post??

things need to adapt as the site does to make it easier for new members (and new uni students!!) ;)

edit: agreed with your above post! :)
Well, yes, because the admins don't see most suggestions unless they're pointed out by the moderators or through a PM. If you send a proper request outlining precisely what you want they're more likely to take it seriously and give it actual consideration.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Oh, well in THAT case you should have just said so! I metioned it over a year ago, but the board has changed a lot since then. Anyway, fire an email off to the admins (or to me, I'll pass it on) and make a proper request stating what you want and why you think it's good.
Aha. Sorry about that. I'll do that, then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)