Ad Hoc Wireless (1 Viewer)

bong

HSC
Hey people, I'm overseas and trying to set up a network with my relo's comp so i can access the internet on my laptop.

The host computer is connected with a wg111 usb wireless adapter, my laptop with the intel 2200bg or something

Ok, so, everything seems to be ok, the comps tell me that the connection is establised, going fine, etc

But, I can't access the internet with my laptop, and cant ping the other computer. Static ip's have been assigned to the wg111 and intel card.

Anyone want to give me a few pointers on what to do?

edit: oh, and ics has been enabled on the host computer

Last edited:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Accessable services (My copy of Windows defaults to no services):

Open your ICS Properties, Advanced Tab and click the 2nd Settings...

The list of services dictates what or what not your laptop can access through so just tick the boxes of what you want.

Basic services required for web surfing are:
"Web Server (HTTP)"
"Secure Web Server (HTTPS)"
and maybe "DNS"

Assuming you can set up the correct card to share the internet, there shouldn't be any problems except some weird firewalls.

Remember: the ICS network component is the card that connects straight into the internet not the card that connects with your local network.

bong

HSC
Thanks, but that's already been done, and the cards should be up ok... i've checked the settings over and over again

Another thing, i've noticed the wireless network has started to drop out every now and again, but reconnects almost immediately.

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
If you havent done it already, try disabling the wired lan in the laptop since you arent using it. Windows usually tries to access the net through the wired over the wireless if you leave it enabled, even if it appears as disconnected, I dunno why =/

bong

HSC
fatmuscle.. thanks, but been thru that already

darksbane... nope, that aint it..

man this is sh*tting me off, tested the setup on my home wireless back in aust before i left.. everything worked fine...!

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The best advice I can give is to run the Connection Wizard (if you haven't already), found by clicking "Set up a Home or Office Connection" in the "Network Tasks" panel in Network Connections. Run it once on the desktop, setting it to "This computer connects directly to the internet", and then once on the laptop, setting it to "This computer connects to the internet through a network device" (selecting the wireless adaptor as the network device). You might need to check that ICS is enabled for both the actual internet connection and the wireless adaptor on the desktop - I'm not sure whether this is necessary, but it could be a problem. Apart from that, I can't think of anything else off the top of my head...

I_F

bong

HSC
Anyone able to diagnose what's wrong if i post up the output from ipconfig /all ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)