"Adapting Management and Organisational Approaches to Circumstances" (1 Viewer)

dat202hoe

HSC
Can anyone help me with this dot point in the syllabus? The text book I'm working out of seems to skip this topic.

HSC
i second this. looked at my book to see if i could help out and it turns out i don't have it either. it isn't on biki either, and a quick scan of BoS resources doesn't give me anything either...

EDIT: oops, i lied. turns out it was just the ones i looked at that had nothing... another said this:
Adapting management and organisational approaches to circumstances

• Businesses need to responsive to changes in its environment -> businesses that have been able to adapt to change generally survive.

Businesses must also be adaptive in:

-The nature of the work-> can change due to technology or downsizing

-The individual differences between employees and managers

-The size of the business-> businesses grow and contract

hmm, still not much for an entire dot point. i'll see if i can dig up anything else.

EDIT 2: okay, i looked at about six sets of notes, only one of which said anything about the dot point (and it said the same thing as above). maybe there's just not much to it at all.

Last edited:
HSC
Basically it means being flexible and able to apply classical-scientific or behavioural approaches as needed. For example, if the economy is in a downturn, labour excess means you do layoffs, maybe switch to a flatter structure with teams.

HSC
veloc1ty said:
Basically it means being flexible and able to apply classical-scientific or behavioural approaches as needed. For example, if the economy is in a downturn, labour excess means you do layoffs, maybe switch to a flatter structure with teams.
so it's similar to structural response to change i.e. flatter structures, outsourcing etc? with changing mgt theories thrown in?

HSC
Pretty much. The dot point is fairly self-explanatory. Adapating your management and organisational approaches to circumstances. Just means be ready to be flexible and apply different management approaches if the business environment changes.

I wouldn't worry about knowing much more, like most things in the business syllabus, you don't need anything more than a superficial level of understanding.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
russianROULETTE said:
i second this. looked at my book to see if i could help out and it turns out i don't have it either. it isn't on biki either, and a quick scan of BoS resources doesn't give me anything either...

EDIT: oops, i lied. turns out it was just the ones i looked at that had nothing... another said this:
Adapting management and organisational approaches to circumstances

• Businesses need to responsive to changes in its environment -> businesses that have been able to adapt to change generally survive.

Businesses must also be adaptive in:

-The nature of the work-> can change due to technology or downsizing

-The individual differences between employees and managers

-The size of the business-> businesses grow and contract

hmm, still not much for an entire dot point. i'll see if i can dig up anything else.

EDIT 2: okay, i looked at about six sets of notes, only one of which said anything about the dot point (and it said the same thing as above). maybe there's just not much to it at all.
The reason why I've found textbooks dont go into too much on this dot point is because it carries on onto the next section. Basically its how a business will change its management relative to certain factors examples include:

- Technological change - As more technology is present, businesses may need to adopt these new pieces of equipment and downsize (thus changing their organisational structure)

- Economic cycle - At times when the economy is booming, there is an increase in demand for products. Managers may adopt an Autocratic leadership style in order to pressure employees boost production and keep up with the demand (adopting a management approach)

As you can see, much of this is covered in the next section (nature and sources of change in business, specifically "structural responses to change) and a couple of sections later under "managing change effectively". So don't get too worried about it.

Good Luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)