Additional Material text types for the Exam (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm doing Revenge Tragedy, and I've already got two additionals, Memento and Gladiator, the problem is I don't know if I should do another additional, that isn't a recent film....

Is it necessary to have two different text types for your additional? Because in the exam it does ask for "a variety of texts"....

Any help is appreicated....

and any suggestions for additional as well...

Kikki

Our teacher told us to have a 'variety' of additionals, but you only really need two. They should be different mediums though- like a short story and a movie. If you're doing those 2 movies maybe you could do a short story too. I'm doing 'The cask of Amontillado' by Edgar Allan Poe- it's pretty revengey.
I tried to do Memento but I found it too hard. What are you saying about it?

HSC
Originally posted by Kikki
Our teacher told us to have a 'variety' of additionals, but you only really need two. They should be different mediums though- like a short story and a movie. If you're doing those 2 movies maybe you could do a short story too. I'm doing 'The cask of Amontillado' by Edgar Allan Poe- it's pretty revengey.
I tried to do Memento but I found it too hard. What are you saying about it?
hrmm...

I actually just read that short story, without realising it was a revenge tragedy lol :D...

I think I'll do that then, can you help me out with that?

These are my brief notes for Memento:

Memento (Christopher Nolan)

Context

Context: 21st Century United States
Value System: Secular society

Conventions/dramatic elements

*No recourse to justice, because the police are seen as unreliable to the protagonist, when in fact it is not.

*Tragedy: Leonard does not realise that he killed his wife, and that he has already killed John G. the supposed murderer, because of his mental condition. To make his like have meaning he goes on a quest for revenge. Teddy: your living Leonard: Only for revenge do I lie to myself to be happy How can I heal? How am I supposed to heal if I can't feel time?

*Reversed plot structure.

*Film Noir

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Memento ?

That's my crime fiction additonal text ...

HSC
Originally posted by McLake
Memento ?

That's my crime fiction additonal text ...
ehehe....
cool...

looks like its pretty versatile....

What did you think of the movie itself?

Kikki

Let's see

Ok here are some brief notes on 'The cask....' by Poe.

Context:
1st half of 19th century America. Revenge deemed criminal/evil. Set in Italy- common setting for
revenge

Conventions:
*There is injustice, but it is inverted because the protagonist/avenger commits the injustice against
Fortunato (The only reason Montressor gives is Fort 'ventured upon insult')

*Physical horror- influence of horror story genre? (I don't know if that's a genre) The bones/
skeletons etc.

*Only fractional hesitation- revenge is not questioned as a moral issue. This makes reader dislike
protagonist even more

*Characters of noble birth, sort of. They are wine conoisseurs- pretentious rather than powerful.

*Avenger doesn't die and isnt punished. Subversive cos order isn't restored. message- revenge is
evil but inevitable

*Language- calculating tone makes protagonist seem crazy,
emotive/ melodramatic at times- "For the love of God Montressor!"
Apostrophe?

That's all I can think of right now. Is that the kind of thing we're meant to say?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by mercurydrinker
ehehe....
cool...

looks like its pretty versatile....

What did you think of the movie itself?
Very interesting.

Suspensful, creative, intriging.

Ending (or is it beggining) is very ambiguos, the woman in bed is his wife yet "Sammy" killed his wife, very strange ...

Directors new movie, INSOMNIA, also very good.

HSC
Re: Let's see

Originally posted by Kikki
Ok here are some brief notes on 'The cask....' by Poe.

Context:
1st half of 19th century America. Revenge deemed criminal/evil. Set in Italy- common setting for
revenge

Conventions:
*There is injustice, but it is inverted because the protagonist/avenger commits the injustice against
Fortunato (The only reason Montressor gives is Fort 'ventured upon insult')

*Physical horror- influence of horror story genre? (I don't know if that's a genre) The bones/
skeletons etc.

*Only fractional hesitation- revenge is not questioned as a moral issue. This makes reader dislike
protagonist even more

*Characters of noble birth, sort of. They are wine conoisseurs- pretentious rather than powerful.

*Avenger doesn't die and isnt punished. Subversive cos order isn't restored. message- revenge is
evil but inevitable

*Language- calculating tone makes protagonist seem crazy,
emotive/ melodramatic at times- "For the love of God Montressor!"
Apostrophe?

That's all I can think of right now. Is that the kind of thing we're meant to say?
Thanx for that....

Pretty much, context and conventions is usually all you need....

HSC
Originally posted by McLake

Very interesting.

Suspensful, creative, intriging.

Ending (or is it beggining) is very ambiguos, the woman in bed is his wife yet "Sammy" killed his wife, very strange ...

Directors new movie, INSOMNIA, also very good.
Yeah, I love the ending...

I'm asking cos it's one of my all time favourite movies...

Insomnia is pretty good as well, but no where near as good as memento....

Raider

i do crime fiction and im using a conventional short story, and a parady movie of crime fiction conventions

Jellymonsta

i was told that they appreciate well justified material using other mediums - eg songs, pictures etc... does anyone else have any other strange text types to use?

elfgal

i did carmen sandiego for crime fiction :) i just crapped on about how the superimposition of hard boiled conventions onto a context as foreign as a modern kids computer game embodied the adaptability of the cf genre which was the principal reason for it's sustained popularity
or some wank like that
ENGLISH IS OVER :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)