Adelaide law? (1 Viewer)

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
I got offered a place at Adelaide Law School, after having completed a year at UWS law; don't really dare to make the move, it will cost money, will take time to settle in, will need to leave my friends in Sydney, will need to find a new place to live.
Should I go?
But for now I'm just waiting for UAC to release the NSW offers.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
it sounds like you don't want to go.

why don't you wait until UAC releases its main round offers.

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty bold to say that neither USyd nor UNSW will offer me a place, so I don't have a big chance to go to a Go8 law school unless I move interstate. I may get into Macquarie, but I doubt if it's worth transferring there, I don't think UWS necessarily has worse teaching quality than MQ, may consider UTS if I get an offer, but they have compulsory Tax Law just like UWS. But how does UTS compare to MQ?

rx34

HSC
I'm pretty bold to say that neither USyd nor UNSW will offer me a place, so I don't have a big chance to go to a Go8 law school unless I move interstate. I may get into Macquarie, but I doubt if it's worth transferring there, I don't think UWS necessarily has worse teaching quality than MQ, may consider UTS if I get an offer, but they have compulsory Tax Law just like UWS. But how does UTS compare to MQ?
hey bryan, i know how you feel. I don't feel a law transfer offer is coming my way too :( I have been stressing like crazy over my uni offers. Anyway, UWS is not too bad a university. But definitely consider UTS. Judging from ATAR scores and previous forum posts, UTS is better than MQ. How about ANU? Moving to Adelaide is really far away, Canberra on the other hand, is only 3 hours away from Sydney. Did you apply to Victorian states as well? Good luck hun.

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
Canberra is just a countrytown, although I may enjoy observing Question Times sitting in the Parliament House. And I heard that rent in Canberra is quite expensive. I did, however, put down ANU as one of my preferences. If I got into Adelaide, it shouldn't be too hard to get into ANU.

ninjapuppet

HSC
N/A
I studied at adelaide uni (MED) but knew a large group of law students. All of them, including top students, are now are working in average suburban law firms as theres not the same opportunities progress like in syd/ melb.

i reckon you're better off staying put at UWS and concentrating on getting good marks.

rx34

HSC
Well if you get a GPA of 6 and above, I say you're pretty competitive for a law degree at USyd. They currently take the best of your UAI and GPA combo or just GPA alone.

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
No, I don't have a D average, wasn't a high achiever in my Arts degree component.

rx34

HSC
No, I don't have a D average, wasn't a high achiever in my Arts degree component.
Oh then either try for Mac or UTS. Don't stress about relocating now. Just wait till 9pm tomorrow and you will know your fate. Good luck :)

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
And I got into Macquarie Law/Arts, but indecisive, from what Melsc says, I'd better off staying at UWS, though apparently MQ has a better reputation.

rx34

HSC
Grats on MQ. Best of luck in what you choose. So are you going to go to Adelaide U?

I'm so glad I managed to get in USyd. All the best :)

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
I clicked the "defer" option for Adelaide last night, but it feels like losing a piece of my own flesh.
If nothing else happens, I'm staying in Sydney.

hughied

HSC
N/A
The quality of the Adelaide Law School is poor IMO. A number of sub-standard lecturers; all lecturers are academics only - no professional experience. Fortunately, the uni still has a good name - though I can't speak with authority on its standing amongst employers.

I hear good things about the Flinders Law Course.

Hope this helps and it's not too late for your decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)