Adv Eng Study Methods?? (1 Viewer)

A Leaf

HSC
I'm a prelim student and I was just wondering whether there was any methods of studying that you could do for english...I've always been pretty good at English but I just lost my 1st rank, I'm 3rd now after screwing up an assessment. I'm sick of leaving English to chance and then just working on essays/speeches etc. when we get notifications. I start notes on texts early but I was wondering if there was anything else you could do? Like in a gradual prep up to HSC year (next term ughh)

Any tips would be helpful :)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
For preparation before the hsc year I probably wouldn't start writing essays right away but I think what you should do is find out all your prescribed texts for the hsc, and what topic your class is going to start with. After that you should try to sort through a few related texts (if your class is doing discovery or mod c first), and choose one, and read or watch your related and prescribed and try to set up some basic document with quotes, technique and analysis, that you can later use to build an essay after you have learnt more about how to structure the essay for the specific topic. You might want to also start writing a creative (probably will be terrible at the start, but you need a base story written to improve it later on), because from my experience my school didn't spend much class time on creatives compared to other modules.

In terms of study during the hsc, what worked for me was to write an essay over a few days after a few weeks of learning about the texts in class, and get that first draft marked by a teacher or tutor, and continually improve on it until you have reached the exam, where I would memorise the essay and adapt it on the day to the exam question. After receiving marks and feedback after each exam you should continually edit and make the essay better, even if you get a good mark, because in the hsc you're competing against not only your class but the entire nsw.

A Leaf

HSC
Ok, I'll try those methods out :) That was super helpful!
thanks!!

xanthye

HSC
Not sure if you already do this, but whenever you read a prescribed text make chapter/scene summaries after each chapter or scene you read, that way when it comes to the exams you have a nice length summary of your texts. I would recommend doing this with your ORT's aswell. If you can, try and find out what prescribed texts you have for next year and read them over the holiday break so when you read them for class you already have a good idea of the story, which will make it easier to look at critically.

TLDR; read your texts twice and take heaps of notes.

A Leaf

HSC
OOh I don't do that but I'll start! Thanks heaps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)