adv engineering (1 Viewer)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
anyone else get the letter today?

we gonna be in a group together :) , we should start to like each other

Plebeian

Yes, I got it. I don't think I'll do it though - although it looks fun and interesting,

1) I have heard people lose interest in the project and they usually end up unfinished.
2) I already have a Science TSP to do.
3) I am overloaded atm anyway, unless I can fix it (which I hope to do).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not gonna be doing it cause I heard it's not worth it.

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
I can tell you as a person who chose not to do it and knowing many who chose to do the project those who say its not worth it are in the majority and thats including some of the prof's :uhhuh:

qtse

HSC
(What they've deleted me off the database?! I just havn't been posting for 3 years...)

Arrrrrrh... I've spent the last hour typing the reply and the browser logged out on me...

As a person who has done the Adv Eng for the last 2 years, I highly recommend the 1st year Adv Eng projects. Who else, as fresh new 1st year Engineering students, get to design and produce a device that let an 8-year-old boy with a disability walk for the first time? There are no equivalents in the market when we designed it - we were the first!! You will never forget the smile on the boy's face when you see him walk for the first time unassisted. On top of that, you are almost guaranteed to get a Distinction (D)/High Distinction (HD) on 1/4 of your first year courses (Adv Eng is 12 Credit Points(CP), and you do 48 CP a year). There was only a person who got a Credit (C) (everyone else D/HD) in 1st Year Adv Eng in 2003.

The 2nd Adv Eng is the one you should tink about before enrolling in. If you hate business planning with a passion, the 2nd year course is not for you. In this course, you will learn a lot (and a lot more than you did in 1st Year Adv Eng), and you are almost guaranteed D/HD in 2 CP.

On to TSP. The Science TSP should not conflict with your Adv Eng. Adv Eng runs as a project with barely any class time over 2 semesters (actually, from the middle of 1st Sem to middle of 2nd Sem unless it's changed), TSP project runs from the beginning of the year to last half of the 1st Sem. You don't have to do the TSP project if you don't want to. other options include:
  • Acceleration - I skipped my first semester of physics (authorised by School of Physics as a TSP student, as because I'm taking Adv. Eng.), freeing up my CP to do other subjects
  • Taking higher level subjects - I did a 3rd year-level math course (3rd year is when maths get interesting, without needing prerequisite courses. 1st year is just backgound knowledge like intergration and differentiation)
  • Attending special TSP seminars - Physics TSP gives you a broad, all-round knowledge of physics, unlike the standard Physics course whcih concentrate on specific topics
  • Special specific TSP projects - These projects are separate to the standard TSP projects. You will be supervised by a world-class research group, using world-class research equipments, gaining knowledge way over your year level (typically at honours level). I've used over $20k worth of research equipments to research laser optics.

My philosophy? Might as well squeeze as much out of uni as i can. Other people pay ~$30k to do a standard Be/Bsc degree. for the same price, I get to learn more topics due to acceleration, challenge myself by learning higher level subjects, broaden my knowledge in physics by attending special lectures, use (and break) extremly expensive equipments (I can assure you nothing in the standard 1st year lab worth more than $2k, and I've used equipments worth >$50k and almost breaking it :p), get my name in the media for designing a product never tought of before, then seeing how it helped a kid to walk, and get a "(Advanced)" next to my degree. So what's your choice?

Quincy Tse
BE(Telecom)/Bsc - USYD
STHS - class of 02

Last edited:

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
Good point ( I knew i shouldn't have listened to prof. Yee but i am very impractical and would have been out amongst u guyz)

BTW was Ziggy in your group (for the 1st yr's Dean project)?

ism

HSC
N/A
ENGG1061 Advanced Engineering 1A The central timetable does not have reliable details for this unit of study, please consult the department.
does it not come up on everbody else's timetable?

i really need to know my timetable for work :mad:

eventhorizon

i heard there was an advanced engineering information seminar during teh first week
does any1 know when it is on?

antarctic

HSC
AFAIK, there was a sign saying Engg1061 (i.e. advanced engineering) was in the PNR Drawing Room (1 or 2, I don't remember) on Friday. Try checking the Engineering Student Office in the LInk building.

Antarctic

Last edited:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
12-2 this friday

except i have an aerospace lecture at that time...pretty stupid

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
gordo said:
12-2 this friday

except i have an aerospace lecture at that time...pretty stupid
Oh I'm sure you won't miss anything. Just make sure to hand in your 200 words etc etc

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i think i'd rather miss an hour of the adv engineering info session than have to catch up an aero lec

antarctic

HSC
I agree with gordo. The first lecture might have been a bludge, but IMHO it'll change pretty quickly (at least that's what happened with SOFT1001).
[EDIT] I just got an email from the USyd mail system saying the Friday briefing session is actually the "first class"...
Does anyone know who to contact about this clash?

Antarctic

Last edited:

antarctic

HSC
I guess it could ;-).
But I use IMHO as "In My Humble Opinion" :D.

Regards

Antarctic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)