• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

adv maths in a combined degree (1 Viewer)

mattk210

HSC
hi guys. Wanting to do B Sc (Adv maths) at usyd. but my parents advised me to combine it with commerce (which I agree with). Only if I combine, I'm now doing [commerce with generic science] because unlike UNSW, there's no course for [Commerce with Science(advanced maths)]. I'm told by the Usyd website that I can elect to enter the adv maths stream even in my combined course. Can someone advise me on what that actually means?

1) is it an issue to have a degree in which i studied the advanced maths units but is not actually called advanced maths? The required UAI/ATAR for advanced maths is significantly higher than that for comm/sci, does that mean I'd lose some prestige or something by not explicitly studying that subject?
2) will i be in the same classes as the advanced maths people? (I'd like to be)

much thanks in advance

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hi guys. Wanting to do B Sc (Adv maths) at usyd. but my parents advised me to combine it with commerce (which I agree with). Only if I combine, I'm now doing [commerce with generic science] because unlike UNSW, there's no course for [Commerce with Science(advanced maths)]. I'm told by the Usyd website that I can elect to enter the adv maths stream even in my combined course. Can someone advise me on what that actually means?

1) is it an issue to have a degree in which i studied the advanced maths units but is not actually called advanced maths? The required UAI/ATAR for advanced maths is significantly higher than that for comm/sci, does that mean I'd lose some prestige or something by not explicitly studying that subject?

much thanks in advance
As far as I am aware, it's impossible to combined Adv maths with commerce at USYD. You should consider UNSW if you want to take such course

mattk210

HSC

ddtng

HSC
As far as I am aware, it's impossible to combined Adv maths with commerce at USYD. You should consider UNSW if you want to take such course
Oh yes that's totally correct and informative...

mattk210, first thing that you should take into account that in reality there are little differences between the BSc, BSc (adv) and BSc (adv maths). They exists simply as what you'd call 'marketing' to compete with the meaningful UNSW Adv Sci course. A BSc (adv maths) is simply a BSc with a Advanced Mathematics major (or equivalent) completed to sufficient standard.

Now if you wanted to enrol into a combined BSc (adv maths)/BCom you'd simply enrol into BSc/BCom as usual except that you'd request to be placed into the BSc (adv maths) stream. This happens at enrolment, not through UAC. You'd graduate with a BSc (adv maths)/BCom.

mattk210 said:
You'll be studying the same stuff. Anyone from ordinary BSc, BSc (adv), BSc (adv maths) and even BA can studying Adv Maths if they qualify for it.

mattk210

HSC
thank you for the information, it's very helpful. it's difficult to find explanations i can understand with no experience of how universities work. Looks like I'll be studying BSc (adv maths)/BCom at usyd, strange that I can't put it directly on my preferences.

Just curious: it won't be a problem for me, but will i be required to have the BSc (adv maths) ATAR requirement (99.15) to request to be put into the adv maths stream?

ddtng

HSC
Just curious: it won't be a problem for me, but will i be required to have the BSc (adv maths) ATAR requirement (99.15) to request to be put into the adv maths stream?
To do the actual units, you don't need 99.15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)