Adv Science (Maths & Finance) (1 Viewer)

Arkad

HSC
It is a requirement of the program that I have to take a general education course and MATH1000 for first year? Can I not replace that with say another finance subject?

j4x0r

HSC
i don't think general education courses work like that, general education courses are like electives, it doesn't matter which one you take (unless your degree has some restrictions as to which geneds you can/cannot do)

Arkad

HSC
Ok, I think you misunderstood me. Lets put it this way, do I have to take MATH1000 for Adv Science (Maths & Finance), or can I replace that with a finance course?

j4x0r

HSC
oh sorry i misread your first post, but if the handbook says you need to do that maths course, then i suggest you do it and seeing as i don't do this degree or have much knowledge about it, it's better if you contact the relevant school about it :)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
u cant replace math1000 as its a mandatory subject in adv sci.

to substitute Gen Eds for real subjects, it needs to b approved by the faculty of science (in your course). if u dont tell them that ur majors are mathematics and finance, they make allow it.

btw, who else here is doing finance/maths, either in BSc (Adv Sci) or BCom/BSc? I am a BCom/BSc (Finance & Maths) student myself.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Isn't there another alternative other than MATH1000 for Adv science student? Like CHEM1000 and LIFE1000???

j4x0r

HSC
hehehe it's funny when i tell my friends "you gotta do LIFE now"

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
math1000 is a mandatory course for advanced science as its an intro to mathematical modelling.

Arkad

HSC
§eraphim said:
to substitute Gen Eds for real subjects, it needs to b approved by the faculty of science (in your course). if u dont tell them that ur majors are mathematics and finance, they make allow it.
I don't know if I understood you correctly, but it appears that you're saying I must deceive them of my major if I wanted to do a real subject instead of Gen Eds? May I ask why is that, why does the science faculty hate math and finance?

Anything is better than doing LIFE, even discrete math.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Arkad said:
I don't know if I understood you correctly, but it appears that you're saying I must deceive them of my major if I wanted to do a real subject instead of Gen Eds? May I ask why is that, why does the science faculty hate math and finance?

Anything is better than doing LIFE, even discrete math.
you need to convince the proper authorities that the subjects you are substituting meet gen ed requirements (see unsw handbook for details). that means finance or maths subjects most likely wont be accepted.

Arkad

HSC
Oh I see what you mean, I think. So if I go to them and say I want to replace gen ed with say first year physics or philosophy would that be acceptable under most circumstances, or is it a really hard ask?

Where is the unsw handbook, am I suppose to have one on hand or is there a link to it?

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Arkad said:
Oh I see what you mean, I think. So if I go to them and say I want to replace gen ed with say first year physics or philosophy would that be acceptable under most circumstances, or is it a really hard ask?

Where is the unsw handbook, am I suppose to have one on hand or is there a link to it?
The point of doing gen eds is to broaden your knowledge, not only in your area of study, but in an all rounder fashion. If you want to do maths, or finance subjects, why don't you pick maths or finance gen ed instead???! You only have to do 4 gen eds you know. And 1 from say maths, and one from finance, and maybe 1 more from FCE...

And no, they won't let you replace most subjects to gen eds.

Last edited:

Arkad

HSC
I see, but it's not like my knowledge won't be broad enough with the core course of this degree. This degree is practically identical to the combined one which don't need gen ed.

Oh well, if it's like that then I won't bother asking. I should have done the combined the degree. But maybe gen ed would be fun, hopefully.

To §eraphim: is COMP1091 Solving Problems with Software any useful? I can replace that with other finance or math subject if I wanted right?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Arkad said:
I see, but it's not like my knowledge won't be broad enough with the core course of this degree. This degree is practically identical to the combined one which don't need gen ed.

Oh well, if it's like that then I won't bother asking. I should have done the combined the degree. But maybe gen ed would be fun, hopefully.

To §eraphim: is COMP1091 Solving Problems with Software any useful? I can replace that with other finance or math subject if I wanted right?
i'm doing the combined degree but i havent done comp1091 yet. u can but its recommended u take that as programming in C++ is useful.

Arkad

HSC
§eraphim said:
i'm doing the combined degree but i havent done comp1091 yet. u can but its recommended u take that as programming in C++ is useful.
Why haven't you took comp1091, are you leaving it for later or you're already pro with c/c++? I'm not really good at programming myself, but I always thought programming is easier self learnt than taught.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
i cant take it as it clashes with other subjects. the only other subject that requires a fair amount of computing is math3311 mathematical computing for finance but according to the lecturer rob womersely (also math1151 algebra lecturer) its not required. *Phew*. i decided to leave it to 4th yr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)