Advance science at UNSW or USYD (1 Viewer)

RazorSpoon

HSC
Well the title says it all. What are the pros and cons of going to either of the university.

cp3

HSC
yeah same i was wondering which uni would be better for Adv Science UNSW or USYD

zinc

HSC
me too... what are the main differences between them... are there any? what about the talented students program? any differences there?

wLym

HSC
an outstanding factor is that syd has a higher uai. But even so, ive been directed to unsw. Ive had people direct me to both anu (science honours) and unsw (adv science), but noone has yet mentioned sydney lol.

sirfeathers

HSC
well i'm going for unsw. i went to their science faculty evening, and...well, they just looked better. better facilities, better organisation, the staff who talked were really motivated, really genuine and really approachable, the facilities looked much better, and i just felt like i was more wanted there... do you know what you want to major in yet?

wLym

HSC
well i'm going for unsw. i went to their science faculty evening, and...well, they just looked better. better facilities, better organisation, the staff who talked were really motivated, really genuine and really approachable, the facilities looked much better, and i just felt like i was more wanted there... do you know what you want to major in yet?
i mite see u there :)

lou071

HSC
N/A
i got accepted to usyd bachelor of science advanced,
the reason why i put usyd as the first preference was
that after reading the handbook from both university,
i found out that the usyd offers more subjects which
related to what i want to do.
and i asked many of friends who go to either usyd
or unsw for science advanced, what they told me
about usyd was more interesting.
and the usyd science advanced goes for 3 years
where as for unsw, it goes for 4 years,
and i am very interested in talented student program

samwell

HSC
I always thought usyd was way better at advanced science than other uni's not only the uai requirement but also their facilities and course program. I dont think the honours yr from unsw is much an advantage coz u may choose to do it at usyd after ua 3 yrs.

sirfeathers

HSC
about the TSP: at Sydney it's an individual student project. there's the possibility of attending special "seminars" or accelerating your course so you can get the degree finished quicker.

Their Adv Sc handbook link:

3. Bachelor of Science, BSc(Adv), BSc(Adv Maths), BSc(Adv)/MBBS - Science handbook - The University of Sydney

At UNSW it's special tutorials(depending on what your major is, I know they do it for Maths.

Apart from the compulsory honours at UNSW, there are also some courses and majors which only Adv Science/Maths students can do.

UNSW Handbook Program - Advanced Science - 3972

At Sydney you have to do at least 96 units of credit(uoc) in science subjects, whereas at UNSW it's 102 (+48 for the Honours component).

Also Maths in compulsory for first years at Sydney; at UNSW it is not, although you will need to choose another science to compensate for that.

HunterGrove

HSC
I'm doing Advanced Science at UNSW and most likely majoring in Biological Sciences. Also had a hard time deciding between the two universities. I think it all came down to facilities for me.

kikko-whaaa

HSC
I'm doing Advanced Science at UNSW and most likely majoring in Biological Sciences. Also had a hard time deciding between the two universities. I think it all came down to facilities for me.
ok so, this is what i want to do, but i'm not too sure whether usyd or unsw is better! i mean, the uai/atar difference is only 3 - so that doesn't really prove much.
any suggestions?

ddtng

HSC
I wouldn't use the ATAR to judge between the courses.

Only advice I'd give is to go to each uni at their open days whenever they're coming up and see for yourself. Ask questions to the staff, have a look around, be inquisitive.

And facilities aren't always the best indicator for quality of teaching (looking at you, usyd chem dept.). You should take more things than that into account.

LordPc

HSC
yea, atar doesnt tell you anything about the course

why dont you guys find out what type of science you want to do, and go and email some of the lecturers/phd students who are part of that faculty

a lot will probably refer you on to somewhere else, but you might get a few people who will answer your question. if u are lucky, you might find a student that transfered from usyd to unsw or vice versa

its not like any of you guys have a reputation to uphold at any of these universities or that these lecturers will know who you are, etc so you have nothing to lose really

Doomah

HSC

i wonder what happen to lou71.... did my preditctions of miserable failure come to fruition??

Scottymacc

HSC
Is the advanced Science course at UOW considered any good in comparison to UNSW?

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Gragh. Why must UNSW have a compulsory honours year. Do you think i'll still get employed if I drop out of UNSW at the end of the third year? Its not like I don't have the knowledge, just don't have the certificate.

Monsterman

HSC
Gragh. Why must UNSW have a compulsory honours year. Do you think i'll still get employed if I drop out of UNSW at the end of the third year? Its not like I don't have the knowledge, just don't have the certificate.
no.. you'll be a uni drop out

LordPc

HSC
why would you want to do advanced science and not do honours?

its basically BScience then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)