Advanced 3-Unit Questions (1 Viewer)

snoopwogg

HSC
Hey, can anyone SERIOUSLY do ANY of the advanced 3-u questions, especially the conics questions, in the Fitzpatrick 4u book? I havent been able to get question 1, 2 or the rest. Is my school just dumb or are they made impossible?

ashtor

HSC
Ive been scared of this topic for months but now that we reached it, i dont see what all the fuss is about. The questions do pose some difficult challenges, but nothing impossible. I mean, if you took your three unit seriously, and can find time to go back and revise the concepts you've most probably forgotten by now, i don't see why you should have anymore trubles snoop. Just be persistent, and never look at the answers before you've really thought the question through...thoroughly. After exhausting all possibilities, you should have the answer, and if not, its probably just sumthing small that you missed. You'll be alright...

Last edited:

snoopwogg

HSC
I dont think you have got the crux of the situation here, these are not SIMPLE questions as you say. If they were simple to you i dont think you would still be completing your HSC this year. A few questions may be able to be worked out after hours of constant staring, but unless your day has 36 hours in it i dont think you've had the time to work through these questions and call them simple.

ashtor

HSC
Yet again, ive been misunderstood. I never said they were 'simple', otherwise they wouldn't be called advanced questions and they most certainly wouldn't be part of the extension 2 course. I was simply implying that the concepts are simple, but you must know the concepts off by heart to complete the questions, and must take all possibilities into account. If you can organise your response, and plan mentally before you begin writing, you should be fine, even if it does take 36 hours! :)

snoopwogg

HSC
What is a man of your brilliance doing in Yr 12 if you could complete those questions? You sound too good for the Mathematics course and i am keen to see what mark you do obtain if your are supposedly able to complete them. What future do you see for yourself? Formula One Aerodynamisist? or Space Aeronautics? I take my hat off to you if what you are saying is true.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
How is conics harder 3u?

stupid idiot

Originally posted by snoopwogg
I dont think you have got the crux of the situation here, these are not SIMPLE questions as you say. If they were simple to you i dont think you would still be completing your HSC this year. A few questions may be able to be worked out after hours of constant staring, but unless your day has 36 hours in it i dont think you've had the time to work through these questions and call them simple.
Always look at the fully worked solutions before attempting any question that you can't do.

You don't learn from getting a question wrong or making a mistake (thats a misconception), but you learn from looking at the right solutions and memorizing every step of it by heart. Sooner or later you find you have enough methods memorized for attacking any problem in high school math. If you can't find the solutions to the problem that you have trouble with, don't bother to do it. Spend your time on others that you have the solutions to.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
How is conics harder 3u?
hmm i was just about to say...

Originally posted by stupid idiot
Always look at the fully worked solutions before attempting any question that you can't do.

You don't learn from getting a question wrong or making a mistake (thats a misconception), but you learn from looking at the right solutions and memorizing every step of it by heart.
i think by checking worked answers with yours are the way to go. you might have made silly mistakes here and ther and not realised it. i dont think memorizing steps is the way to go-i think you need to practice as many questions as possible and mentally derive an approach clearly in your head as to how to answer it. Like for concics-proving this is that requires some planning otherwise you would get nowhere

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
Like for concics-proving this is that requires some planning otherwise you would get nowhere
the secret of conics is drawing a diagram

Affinity

HSC
turtle and his pet coord bash.. *contemplates with suspicion*.

anyway, I think you need to believe they are easy before you make any progress in your skills

turtle_2468

HSC
turtle and his pet coord bash, yes indeed.. :p But I haven't done one of those for a while now... I think the main thing in conics is to be confident, as affinity said, that the problem is actually doable. That being said, keep an eye on the thing you're trying to prove, sometimes you might notice that it looks suspiciously similar to something you have and lead to a proof...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
I loved 4u maths.. only cos i hated english.. lolz
3 things i had which helped:
-smartarse teacher + fun friends.. "no u cant assume that cos thats the answer.. otherwise its not a proof" + "why r u the only one with a 8 line proof when it says 'show' and 1 mark" , reminds u to break problems up :) n also made classes interesting

-lik turt and affinity remind ure self of the goals then.. coord bash, diagram, visualise, break down the question..e.g v = *m/s so if u got m/s/s u screwd up

-practice then ull be familiar

btw real secret of conics .. memorise the examinable proofs in the syllabus ^^ cos there reali isnt much.. esp in normal skools

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)