Advanced Eng v. Standard Eng (1 Viewer)

PenelopeK

S Healer
HSC
i was left with this question by my english teacher: "do u want to get in the band 6 or band 4 for english..?" of course the answer being band 6.

Should i keep advanced and actually not rush assessments and exams next year. or should i pick up english standard ???

wanton-wonton

HSC
if i were you (i dun know u but im asumming that you are me) i wouldn't do english at all....BUT because it is compulsory, my next option would be the easiest level of english, that is, ESL. HOWEVER, i can't do ESL because i've been here for longer than 5 years, so my next option is english standard/general. BUT MY SCHOOL DOESN"T OFFER GENERAL ENGLISH...so i've no choice but to do adv. next year.

oh to answer your question....up to you

obzedyon

HSC
I think that not rushing assessments goes for both Standard and Advance. :uhhuh: But if you feel capable (and it's only the studying part that's bothering you), then I recommend you stick with English Advanced.

Is there much difference between the two anyway?

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
PenelopeK said:
i was left with this question by my english teacher: "do u want to get in the band 6 or band 4 for english..?" of course the answer being band 6.

Should i keep advanced and actually not rush assessments and exams next year. or should i pick up english standard ???

keep advanced if you are capable of doing it ....

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
PenelopeK said:

um, Keep advance if you think that you are able to cope with the level of work and assesments.
I did Advanced English for all of yr 11 and I was passing but not getting the marks I wanted. I stayed in advanced for the 1st term of yr 12 then I thought that it wasn't for me, plus i didn't like the texts we were studying, I dropped down to standard english and thats the best choice I think I could have made.
I enjoyed the texts more, coped better and I ended up coming 1st in yr 12 for standard english in my grade and got a good result in the hsc for english.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I think it depends on what u want to do. stuff scaling, bands everything just look at what will be best 4 u. me personally i do adv cause i think its much more interesting + there's that whole u cant do ext1&2 without doing adv thing.

E

eling

teachers make u do advance so the skools ranking looks gd -_-" I mean standard

Last edited by a moderator:

obzedyon

HSC
Teachers can attempt to persuade you, but don't do it if you don't feel it's right. If you just space out your time and build up a good collection of notes and study habits, you should be fine ;) Put it this way, doing Standard still means that you're going to have to put in the same amount of hours, so why not spend that time doing something that will benefit you personally moreso than Standard?

Then again, I'm biased, so please don't take what I say as gospel :p

PenelopeK

S Healer
HSC
you're quite right -- as my teacher was talking about standard to me, it felt so wrong. i find the adv course very interesting and i hope that with some time management (as most of my time goes to maths and phys) and a bit more work i could possibly get better marks
???

obzedyon

HSC
It sounds like you're willing to put in the effort and this will reflect your marks :) I wish you the best of luck with Advanced! Don't stress out about it and enjoy the texts :gridnod:

Currybabe29

If your capable of doing advanced and like English, I say choose Advanced. They both get scaled the same, but if you go to the boardofstudies site, you'll notice that most people who do Advanced get Band 5, and most people doing Standard get Band 4.

I think people who do Advanced mostly like english, and enjoy doing it, so they get better marks, whereas some people do Standard because they have no choice (since they cant drop english), and don't like doing it.

But in the end, it's up to you. Just do whateva you want to do! (I've just confused you even more haven't I?!)

illin

Ill factor
HSC
has any1 realised that standard and adv. are like exactly the same!
They scale the same and u do basically the same work
and exactly the same Area of Study
But the thing is standard ppl get rooted with the comparison and that is why there was only 1 band 6 in standard last year (the first in 5 years)
so do adv. and stick with it, even if ur strugglin cause its close to impossible to get band 6 in standard cause ur compared to english adv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)